Dishonored 2 - Review @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer likes Dishonored 2:

The most dismissive thing I can say about Dishonored 2 is that it's a lot like Dishonored—one of my favourite games of all time. At its worst, it offers a similar experience to its predecessor, which is to say, it offers tens of hours of extraordinary first-person stealth and action. Frequently, Dishonored 2 does more than that. While the moment-to-moment experience is broadly the same, the whole thing is elevated by both small, crucial details and big set-piece missions. Put simply: it's brilliant.

[...]

Score: 93/100
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Interesting, how perceptions of the same game vary. I would agree with the review, it's pretty much like Dishonored, which is good. Of course it has some slight flaws, but none that somehow lessened my fun with this game (on PC).

I enjoyed dishonoured for quite a few hours, then it lost its shine. I have never felt any desire to replay it - so buying the sequel would be a waste of time for me. This contrasts to games I consider more "RPG" like, which I have replayed several times. I loved Thief, but the sequels and all sneaker games since, less so.

I enjoyed dishonoured for quite a few hours, then it lost its shine. I have never felt any desire to replay it - so buying the sequel would be a waste of time for me. This contrasts to games I consider more "RPG" like, which I have replayed several times. I loved Thief, but the sequels and all sneaker games since, less so.

I too enjoyed Dishonored 1 for quite a few hours then somewhat lost interest, but I kept enough interest to play through to the end. I believe that my main issue with the game was the setting. Since the time I played Dishonored 1 when it was released, I have played a few other games with a similar setting (for example, I somewhat enjoyed the latest Thief game) and I think I am used to it now so that maybe the setting would not be a negative.

I enjoy the stealth/combat gameplay of these types of games, so I am looking forward to playing Dishonored 2 once they patch the PC performance problems (which they likely will soon).

Dishonoured is one of the few games that I did replay so I'm only waiting for the patches to have a go at D2. And I'm looking very much forward to it!

i-Fxjwjxd-2100x20000.jpg

Source:
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/11/18/crouchomancy

It's a tricky one - it might be a 9/10 game in 5/10 condition. Some of the bigger sites have hammered the score down pretty hard, others have looked more at the quality of the game itself. Leaving aside what one thinks is the appropriate score in these circumstances, I think it's quite likely it'll be well worth a go, assuming it's patched successfully.

Interesting how on Steam it has a 55% rating and a payed for review gives it 93%. Kind of makes you question the intregity of the review when ther is that much of a difference… No Mans Sky any one?

The gameplay is awesome…when your FPS isn't crashing (aka you didn't install the patch and aren't expecting 100+ FPS on 2 years old hardware on Ultra).

Interesting how on Steam it has a 55% rating and a payed for review gives it 93%. Kind of makes you question the intregity of the review when ther is that much of a difference… No Mans Sky any one?
It's not NMS.
Seems that this game, when it's working, delivers. NMS just failed.

Unlike some other broken releases, critics generally decided to not take the state of release into the final score. Not sure why is that so. Maybe because their pocket didn't shell 50+ bucks for it so they don't care? Maybe because it's not some anonymous Gothic 3 developer who's game got released too early and needs some spanking? Maybe because polygon/gamespot didn't put 1/10 on Raven's Cry to snowball the low scores?
Or maybe critics think we're all idiots?

Good news is that Dishonored 2 won't be left in the sorry state but patches are in works. However critics couldn't and can't know this will happen for sure and IMO they should have make a review on an existing product, not on possible future game version.

I have the game. I also have GTX1070 which means I shouldn't have problems to run the game on 60+ FPS.
Still, I'm not playing it. Because I'd have to accept horrible consoley blur bullshit and impossible to disable upscaling.
First Dishonored deserved 10/10 from me. This one? Just won't. Even when patched, they should have known better. Because they sold us early access without asking if we want to betatest the game. Will write about the game after performance patch that's supposed to appear this week, but don't expect another perfect score.

EDIT:
PC invasion dared to lower the score because of technical issues:
http://www.pcinvasion.com/dishonored-2-review
6/10
Make no mistake: Dishonored 2 is an exquisite game that's likely to please anyone who enjoyed its predecessor. That's assuming they can play it at a reasonable framerate, though, and right now that's a pretty hefty assumption.

Last edited:

The rating might be skewed by the idiots who gave it a 0 because they were pissed they couldn't get 60FPS on Ultra settings. Performance issues on release are a death sentence when it comes to early Steam reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if that rating goes up substantially in the future.

The rating might be skewed by the idiots who gave it a 0 because they were pissed they couldn't get 60FPS on Ultra settings. Performance issues on release are a death sentence when it comes to early Steam reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if that rating goes up substantially in the future.

Maybe you're thinking of the Metacritic user reviews, but Steam uses a binary rating system these days, which prevents the overreaction you're talking about. The 55% review score referenced above is simply the percentage of positive reviews. I would still agree that the rating will likely go up in the future, especially in the "Recent" reviews category that Steam now shows.

Is this txa writing from PC (finally)? :evilgrin:

Is this txa writing from PC (finally)? :evilgrin:

Nope, just a long-time lurker. But yes, I am writing from a PC and you will also be relieved to hear that I don't play any phone games.

Back
Top Bottom