RPGWatch 2008 Game of the Year - Best RPG

The trick is really in the name The Witcher: EE, in other words, it's the EE of The Witcher as in it's the same game. That's why it's not on the list for this year another game that we had on the short list, the Xbox version of Dark Messiah, was also removed for the same reason. You could probably ask why the PS3 version of Bioshock isn't there also as the term RPG seems to mean anything with a stat this year because we've had so few real RPGs. The site is more centred to the PC side of things but we are not totally exclusive from the Xbox as the games tend to crossover from time to time. That's why the database has a platform setting that includes Xbox and PS3 I'd wager.

Maybe next year we could vote for our top three games? I would think it'd offer more accurate results - though maybe not this year, as there really wasn't that much to choose from.
Nah. Too much work :)

Just out of curiosity, how many people voted?
About 1900.

Nah, the Witcher EE was really just a big honkin' patch. You open that door and suddenly we've got "Game of the Year" editions showing up in the list.

I'm not worried at all about shooter-hybrids or strategy-hybrids or what have you. RPGs are about stories and character development, as far as I'm concerned. Use whatever combat system you like. As long as you tell a good story and let me make the character that lets me play how I feel like playing at the time, I'm happy.

Fallout 3 and Mass Effect for 1st and 2nd sound great to me. I loved both the games. My biggest beef (with both of them) was the difficulty. Both of them started out fairly hard then got easier as time went on. Heck, I finished Fallout 3's final battle with two shots, and the first one was a miss! Is this some new game design theory!?

Regarding Fable 2, I just started playing it last week. It's good stuff. It's certainly not even remotely hardcore but it is, in a word, delightful. It's RPG bubble gum. I couldn't stand a steady diet of Fables but it's good to get a game like that every now and again. Though it does look like the game is going to be pretty short. I got more bang for my buck with Lost Odyssey.

We have Fallout 3 review(s) coming soon ... so you'll get more details on some feelings of the staff.

Back
Top Bottom