FO: Other Fallout 76 impressions

Any other Fallout game
I do need to play more to give proper impressions but I think I can tell you what you'll have to put up with to play this game.

Mouse and keyboard was completely disabled while my controller was plugged in.

Performance is very sluggish. The new "gameready" drivers improves performance.

The in-game Display options are terrible. You'll need to change them through the ini files. I just followed this guide. https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9x3t0v/fallout_76_blur_fov_depth_of_field_lens_flare_fps/

The game hides the ugly distant structures behind the worst depth of field implementation I've ever seen so expect the game to look worse but far better with these tweaks. This DoF is so bad it gives me motion sickness.

Once you sort out the performance issues the excitement to explore can surface more and the world certainly appears to be massive and packed full of things to discover.

EDIT: I'd suggest leaving "sAntiAliasing=TAA" for temporal AA in place of FXAA.

Last edited:
People. People never changes…..

pibbur who gets older every day
Glad someone got the hidden meaning. :clap:

Still love that slogan almost twenty years later.

Well, I almost hate to admit this, but I played for several hours last night and I really enjoyed myself. I also had an instance form at my location and me and two other players wiped out a horde of ferals. It was pretty fun, but I ignored the other players and just did my own thing. I don't have any volume turned on for voices and I ignore people who "emote". Emotes are like farts; just pretend they didn't happen but get away fast.

Burn him! Burn the drow!

Well, the thing is I don't think this game will have stamina. I'm sure I'll enjoy it for a few days, just because this is my type of game. It is open-world, exploration heavy with lots of loot to find. I also enjoy survival elements. All of that is great.

However, the online elements are a drag. One of the peep's last night was named something like LeetDudette073, lol. Of course, mine is RPGWatch-nut :D The emote stuff, player killers, dropping connection, etc. There is zero reason for this game to have an online required connection if you're soloing. Why didn't they just make this co-op optional is a very valid question.

I assume you can group up somehow but since servers only have 24 people on at a time, I'm not sure how that works. I would only care if someone from here wanted to group for something. I've already started over 3 or 4 times because the intro only takes like 3 minutes to do. That IS a nice change of pace.

My hope is that some smart modder will figure out how to dump this into Fallout 4. Turn it into some type of master file add a plugin and wallah. There doesn't appear to be any significant changes to the file types, so I can hope.

Why didn't they just make this co-op optional is a very valid question.

I don't think there would be enough content without the co-op. There are no settlements or NPCs, so all you're doing is basically running around shooting things and collecting loot, and the missions are designed with co-op in mind.

That could be, @JDR13;. I almost feel bad that I have a copy of this game because it gives credibility to the idea that Bethesda can regurgitate anything and the unwashed masses will soak it up. This isn't really a worthy successor to anything. It's just a cash grab.

One thing that is pretty fun is something they call events. These happen at random, but frequently, when you visit a place on the map. You can ignore them and not be penalized, but if you get involved then you are rewarded based on how much of the event you personally completed. In many cases, you can complete events solo. Events are one of the best ways to win stimpacks.

Well, I almost hate to admit this, but I played for several hours last night and I really enjoyed myself. I also had an instance form at my location and me and two other players wiped out a horde of ferals. It was pretty fun, but I ignored the other players and just did my own thing. I don't have any volume turned on for voices and I ignore people who "emote". Emotes are like farts; just pretend they didn't happen but get away fast.

On Sunday I was holding Grifton Steel, had resource extractors making me copper and oil, and 2 players decided they would try and capture it from me at the same time that there was an AI attack. I fast travel back to defend and they're both red named and surrounded by Radscorpions, low health. So I stealth up and VATS sneak attack them both with my hunting rifle. They came back and didn't try to attack me so I invited them both to the team. (Run up close and hold E or click them on the map) After that we held the area for 3 or 4 hours and made a tonne of XP from AI attacks. No one even had a mic. The co-op just sort of just worked because everyone has the same goals.

I'm on vacation this week and I've already logged about 75 hours into the game. This isn't really an rpg though. As a game for the target audience, it's hella fun; as an rpg? One big issue though is weight limits. Both your camp and your personal carry weight are quite limited. In a loot-centric game this is just stupid. Bethesda needs to find a way to have unlimited loot in the game or at the minimum vastly increase the current limit.

That'll be 1,000 Atoms for a backpack, 'nut.

But seriously, I've seen some streams where guys are carrying thousands of rounds of ammo, so perhaps weight capacity isn't as big an issue once you utilize power armor. It would force you into that route though (and I personally hated PA in Fallout 4).

I can't get anyone to play with me :(

But, aside from a significant amount of launch issues - it's exactly what I expected it to be: Fallout 4 with multiplayer.

To me, that's great - but it's not a surprise that it's getting some heat.

The amount of negativity is a little off, though - but whatever.

As a coop game, it's a dream come true for me. I just need people to play with.

Time to get another girlfriend, I guess.

But that would cut into my game development :(

Life is a bitch.

One big issue though is weight limits. Both your camp and your personal carry weight are quite limited. In a loot-centric game this is just stupid. Bethesda needs to find a way to have unlimited loot in the game or at the minimum vastly increase the current limit.
Yeah, it's like no one ever tested the game without developer mode cheats. If they just made the Junk weightless or something. It shouldn't take a professional game developer to make a better system than this.

I can't get anyone to play with me :(

Life is a bitch.
What level are you? :)

I'm not even sure how to play co-op. I do see pairs quite often, but it's rare to see a team of four.

Back
Top Bottom