Obsidian Entertainment - DLC Survey Results

A bit late for surveys. PoE 2 gonna bomb.

A bit late for surveys. PoE 2 gonna bomb.

I think it will do okay - say 500K sales. I am picking up to half of the pillars1 audience will return for the second. The rest might buy it on a significant discount which will see it approach the million mark. It all depends on the initial buzz for the game. If it is positive sales could well exceed the first. If it is negative we are looking at Tides of Numenera territory.

RPG players have a bad rep now due to Codex.
Lol WTF?!
You might be wildly overestimating how much mainstream knows of Codex.

I am pretty sure something like 4chan or 8chan has more influence

I think it will do okay - say 500K sales. I am picking up to half of the pillars1 audience will return for the second. The rest might buy it on a significant discount which will see it approach the million mark. It all depends on the initial buzz for the game. If it is positive sales could well exceed the first. If it is negative we are looking at Tides of Numenera territory.

Not to mention the engine is already written for the most part and they have their development machine already set up so PoE2 is much cheaper to produce than PoE1. I think they'll be ok there.

Sports games? The NBA 2K series is more complex than any RPG ever made, lol. It probably has more stats and attributes that affect the gameplay than 10 RPGs combined…

They do have some great sliders to fine tune the game as you like. I wish 2K would return to their baseball series.

They do have some great sliders to fine tune the game as you like. I wish 2K would return to their baseball series.

I know this is wildly off topic, but I want College Hoops to come back badly. My friends and I still play College Hooks 2K8. Creating a coach, recruiting, and building a dynasty over years is incredibly challenging, in depth, and satisfying. I would love made a new one focused on expanding the dynasty mode, including online co-op. We'd play it every night, I am sure.

Yep. Tons of sliders, options, modes. An incredible amount of player stats that affect gameplay, too. Not to mention the AI, the playcalling and running, the defensive sets. The game is…vast.

I know this is wildly off topic, but I want College Hoops to come back badly. My friends and I still play College Hooks 2K8. Creating a coach, recruiting, and building a dynasty over years is incredibly challenging, in depth, and satisfying. I would love made a new one focused on expanding the dynasty mode, including online co-op. We'd play it every night, I am sure.

Yooo, College Hoops 2K8! That game was amaazing. I used to make my own plays and playbooks in it! You could literally draw up plays and save them in your playbook. Then I took my created characters from freshmen to graduated, and then imported them into NBA 2K8! Lol. To say that game had depth is an understatement…

But yeah, would love to see that game again. It had like hundreds and hundreds of colleges, even tiny ones. Recruiting options galore. Fundamentally sound gameplay. Challenging as heck, on the court and off. And the crowd noise during big games vs. big colleges!! I'm getting chills, lol. Good times man, good times.

Have you guys played NFL 2K5?

"We also had a significant number of respondents who owned DLC in Pillars of Eternity and, surprisingly, Neverwinter Nights 2, a game that's now more than ten years old."

Surprisingly why? NWN 2 is a great game, one of my favorites. Even now there are people developing mods for it and we see that on GOG is one of the most popular games. I hope this next game they are planing is NWN 3 XD
But I highly doubt it it's simething good as that.

"We also had a significant number of respondents who owned DLC in Pillars of Eternity and, surprisingly, Neverwinter Nights 2, a game that's now more than ten years old."

Surprisingly why? NWN 2 is a great game, one of my favorites. Even now there are people developing mods for it and we see that on GOG is one of the most popular games. I hope this next game they are planing is NWN 3 XD
But I highly doubt it it's simething good as that.

Surprising for me, I hated NWN2. Both OC and the expansion (MotB). I still don't see what is the huge fuss about MotB. Then again, I wasn't even impressed with Torment, and it was far superior than MotB.

Surprising for me, I hated NWN2. Both OC and the expansion (MotB). I still don't see what is the huge fuss about MotB. Then again, I wasn't even impressed with Torment, and it was far superior than MotB.

A lot of people hate NWN2, I don't know why. Maybe I like it so much because I'm D&D affectionate. I think it's a decent ruleset implementation - not as good as ToEE.

But interestingly, it's not the D&D element that makes me like it so much. It's the soundtrack and the atmospheric environment. It's so magical for me :p

Not surprising for me. NWN2 is an awesome game and I played it over a good 5 times I liked it so much. Thought it was a sharp, bright, entertaining game with fantastic atmosphere and mood. Very much enjoyed it. MotB is perhaps the best expansion to a game I have ever played - wonderful characters, top-notch story and plot, a really solid add-on to an already amazing game. Found it better than Torment myself. Would like to see some more great games like this by them but as others have said would be surprised if they did. Shame though since its such a really cool game and have many fond memories playing it.

While I liked the original Torment back then I didn't like NWN2 neither.

But as I bought it as a boundle I "had to" chose that I own the DLCs.
Lots of the votings there are quite biased because they are extremely unspecific.

A lot of people hate NWN2, I don't know why. Maybe I like it so much because I'm D&D affectionate. I think it's a decent ruleset implementation - not as good as ToEE.

But interestingly, it's not the D&D element that makes me like it so much. It's the soundtrack and the atmospheric environment. It's so magical for me :p
I can tell you why:
1. Terrible camera and control system. You fight vs the game all the time.
2. Lack of any balance, especially noticeable with being able to rest anywhere at any time without penalty except watching a 5s animation.
3. If you played it at release it was super buggy and badly optimized. Probably many didn't wait for patches to try it again.

I can tell you why:
1. Terrible camera and control system. You fight vs the game all the time.
2. Lack of any balance, especially noticeable with being able to rest anywhere at any time without penalty except watching a 5s animation.
3. If you played it at release it was super buggy and badly optimized. Probably many didn't wait for patches to try it again.

1. Yeah, I struggle with the camera too, but there is a workaround for it, and the game becomes much more playable, believe me.

2. I hate that too. Expansions somewhat fixed it. You can play with a mod called "NWN2 OC Makeover SoZ" and fix that in the vanilla campaign. However, it's far from perfect.

3. Actually, I remember my gf at the time gifting me with NWN2 CD (I still have it). I don't remember it being buggy, just awesome :p

1. Yeah, I struggle with the camera too, but there is a workaround for it, and the game becomes much more playable, believe me.

2. I hate that too. Expansions somewhat fixed it. You can play with a mod called "NWN2 OC Makeover SoZ" and fix that in the vanilla campaign. However, it's far from perfect.

3. Actually, I remember my gf at the time gifting me with NWN2 CD (I still have it). I don't remember it being buggy, just awesome :p

I really hate using "workaround" to play a game, it should be playable without much hassles straight out of the box.

No, simply because baseball is a far superior sport compared to football. :p

I don't care all that much for either anymore but I'd take football over baseball. Point is though, NFL 2K5 is still one of the best sports games ever made. 2K was very ahead of the game and doing magic back then with their sports games. And then EA put a stop to it by literally purchasing the sole license to make NFL football games, with their inferior Madden product.

That license is still active today. Just some EA-related gaming history for ya. :)

Its obvious girls dont' play games.

Btw true story: I never played rpg till around 2004 when my sister handed me a box of old games she was tired of it. The box included bg1,bg2,iwd, and a couple of might and magic games. There was also a pair of adventure games but i can't remember their names. If she hadn't given me the package i would still be playing rts and fps full time.
-
I've told that story before but it has been a while…. so forgive the repeat.

I don't really understand what you are tying to say? What does your sister playing RPG has got do with the survey results?

If anything, the fact that she got "tired" (shock horror ?!?!?!?) of BG1 and BG2 and handed over shows what kind of gamer she is :p

Back
Top Bottom