For fans of Diablo (News)

D

Darth Tagnan

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/multiple-diablo-projects-in-development-reveal-teased-for-later-in-2018

Interesting.

My gut reaction tells me this is about:

1. Another Diablo 3 expansion.
2. Diablo 4 or a new game set in the world of Diablo.

It's been rumored for a while, but this looks pretty certain.

As a big fan of the franchise: Me likey.

Thinking about this, and knowing Blizzard's approach to copying established formulas more or less directly from other developers - I suspect the new game is more than likely the "Diablo" version of Destiny 2.

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/multiple-diablo-projects-in-development-reveal-teased-for-later-in-2018

Interesting.

Thinking about this, and knowing Blizzard's approach to copying established formulas more or less directly from other developers - I suspect the new game is more than likely the "Diablo" version of Destiny 2.

Yeah, I also just read the news. I'm also hyped.

There was also the rumor they might managed to remaster Diablo 2, which would also be nice.

Personally, I'd love a departure from the top-down hack-and-slash. I think a 3rd person action rpg could work great. Maybe something like how the recent God of War was done. I'd love that kind of game in the Diablo world, but done much more gritty and mature, to how D3 was. This would be a great opportunity for something like this.

Of course, that shouldn't stop them from also delivering a top-down game. But I'd love if Blizzard used some of those hordes of cash to pursue something different. I think their team would also appreciate the change.

But, time to come back to reality. They'll probably just iterate on the same ideas. I wonder if the lessons that were learned from D3 will be properly taken into consideration.

Yeah, I also just read the news. I'm also hyped.

There was also the rumor they might managed to remaster Diablo 2, which would also be nice.

Personally, I'd love a departure from the top-down hack-and-slash. I think a 3rd person action rpg could work great. Maybe something like how the recent God of War was done. I'd love that kind of game in the Diablo world, but done much more gritty and mature, to how D3 was. This would be a great opportunity for something like this.

Of course, that shouldn't stop them from also delivering a top-down game. But I'd love if Blizzard used some of those hordes of cash to pursue something different. I think their team would also appreciate the change.

But, time to come back to reality. They'll probably just iterate on the same ideas. I wonder if the lessons that were learned from D3 will be properly taken into consideration.

True, good point. I forgot about the rumored D2 remaster. That could very well be the more short term project he's referring to.

Personally, I'm very excited about the prospect of a genuinely NEW game - if that's what they're saying, and it kinda seems like it is.

God of War isn't my thing - but a sort of Destiny 2/Warframe/Division/Anthem type of Diablo could be very, very good indeed :)

I hope it's not a Diablo WoW! But I don't think so.

God of War isn't my thing - but a sort of Destiny 2/Warframe/Division/Anthem type of Diablo could be very, very good indeed :)

Kind of off-topic, but God of War wasn't my thing either, until I played the reboot on PS4. I dislike the previous ones, and loved this one. If you like 3rd person action games with some leveling mechanics I'd really recommend it.

On-topic: The only reason I'm not too hyped for D4, is that it will likely be another attempt to solve the same issues D3 tried. I wonder how burned out their team is.

Kind of off-topic, but God of War wasn't my thing either, until I played the reboot on PS4. I dislike the previous ones, and loved this one. If you like 3rd person action games with some leveling mechanics I'd really recommend it.

On-topic: The only reason I'm not too hyped for D4, is that it will likely be another attempt to solve the same issues D3 tried. I wonder how burned out their team is.

Well, they already changed the lead after D3 was launched - and I'm sure any kind of D4 would be by a team with many new members.

But if you look at the history of Blizzard games - they kinda tend to copy other good games that have enjoyed success but still has a lot of potential to expand, and then put their own spin on it.

That's always been their thing.

So, my first guess would definitely be a Diablo "looter shooter" or MMO-lite - as we've yet to see any kind of "king" or victor within that genre.

The old Blizzard could have conquered the shit out of that genre.

Not so sure about the current one, though.

The old Blizzard could have conquered the shit out of that genre.

Not so sure about the current one, though.

I remember hearing an interview where David Brevik, creator of Diablo, said he'd maybe be up for another collaboration with Blizzard. But I doubt they'd bring him in to lead. Especially since Brevik is now busy with his one man game, It Lurks Below.

I remember hearing an interview where David Brevik, creator of Diablo, said he'd maybe be up for another collaboration with Blizzard. But I doubt they'd bring him in to lead. Especially since Brevik is now busy with his one man game, It Lurks Below.

Probably not - but he'd be the man to do it ;)

Plus, programmers and artists are some of the most ego-driven people. I'm not sure if the egos would allow for them to collaborate. Remember how the initial game director reacted ("fuck that guy", or something similar) to some interview that Brevik did about Diablo, where he was honestly quite diplomatic.

That sounds like a slight generalization :)

Well, as case in point example, remember how the initial D3 game director reacted to Brevik saying some quite innocent things about D3 ("fuck that guy").

And personally, I work as a software engineer professionally. You'd be amazed at how much god-complex there is for programmers. You'd think they're doctors. :D

Well, as case in point example, remember how the initial D3 game director reacted to Brevik saying some quite innocent things about D3 ("fuck that guy").

Let's be fair, dude. The game was being shit (shat?!?) upon by the masses - and the lead guy was new to the franchise. To have an old colleague join in with "subtle" criticism couldn't have been very fun after 7 years of hard work.

Not that I disagreed with Brevik, but I think D3 has been treated very unfairly by the vocal and passionate minority.

Certain things were actually great - even upon release.

And personally, I work as a software engineer professionally. You'd be amazed at how much god-complex there is for programmers. You'd think their doctors. :D

I've worked in IT all my life :)

Trust me, not all artists or programmers are ego-driven.

Unless, by ego-driven, we mean that they all have an ego that occasionally drives them.

Let's be fair, dude. The game was being shit upon by the masses - and the lead guy was new to the franchise. To have an old colleague join in with "subtle" criticism couldn't have been very fun after 7 years of hard work.

Not that I disagreed with Brevik, but I think D3 has been treated very unfairly by the vocal and passionate minority.

Certain things were actually great - even upon release.
Yeah, I agree that they were overly critical of D3 for some of the things. But for others, like the main story and the writing, oh my god. I'll never forgive them for green-lighting that script. Truly awful stuff. Not even decent. And I don't think it's hard to pull off something decent and forgettable. But not insultingly bad as they did.

I've worked in IT all my life :)

Trust me, not all artists or programmers are ego-driven.

Unless, by ego-driven, we mean that they all have an ego that occasionally drives them.

From my experience, most people who are truly good and highly proficient are very often arrogant and egotistic. I did encounter people who were that good, and down-to-earth but sadly they are in the minority. And I can't really fault them too much. When you work your ass off to become great, it's very easy to fall prey to look down on others, and very hard to stay decent.

At least that's been my experience.

Yeah, I agree that they were overly critical of D3 for some of the things. But for others, like the main story and the writing, oh my god. I'll never forgive them for green-lighting that script. Truly awful stuff. Not even decent. And I don't think it's hard to pull off something decent and forgettable. But not insultingly bad as they did.

I'm probably more forgiving than you :)

Also, I don't really go into a Diablo to experience a life changing story, you know? ;)

From my experience, most people who are truly good and highly proficient are very often arrogant and egotistic. I did encounter people who were that good, and down-to-earth but sadly they are in the minority. And I can't really fault them too much. When you work your ass off to become great, it's very easy to fall prey to look down on others, and very hard to stay decent.

At least that's been my experience.

That's not really my experience. In fact, I've always had the theory that the "very best" people - if we assume we can really establish such a thing - are actually among the most pleasant and accomodating people (unless you actively work against their passion, of course) - because they have less to prove.

But that's sort of a cop-out.

People are different and I don't think it's healthy to generalize too much in this way.

I'm probably more forgiving than you :)

Also, I don't really go into a Diablo to experience a life changing story, you know? ;)
Yeah, I know what you mean. But that's exactly the issue. I was expecting at least something decent. Something forgettable maybe. Not insultingly bad. Whoever approved the "Cain dies at the hand of a fairy" needs to have his writing permit revoked. :D

That's not really my experience. In fact, I've always had the theory that the "very best" people - if we assume we can really establish such a thing - are actually among the most pleasant and accomodating people (unless you actively work against their passion, of course) - because they have less to prove.

Oh, from what I hear of great software engineers at Microsoft, or Google, or those sorts of places that's pretty much it. They very humble, even though they've done amazing things. Because they very much know their work is built on the shoulders of giants. And that there's always someone better than them at something.

But I've not been at those sorts of places. And in other places, people like to become the big fish in their small little pond and then they can afford to be arrogant and egotistical because that's all they know, and they refuse to move to the higher pond, because they know they'd have to face being at the bottom of the ladder again.

And still, those some people are very good. In their respective pond.

At least that's how I see it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But that's exactly the issue. I was expecting at least something decent. Something forgettable maybe. Not insultingly bad. Whoever approved the "Cain dies at the hand of a fairy" needs to have his writing permit revoked. :D

Hey, that's fair enough. We react like how we react.

I can't say I feel insulted very often at all :)

I tend to glaze over most stories in games, because they're so derivative. I only really notice if they're particularly good.

As such, I don't remember much of the D3 story. Same goes for the D1 and D2 stories - apart from a few tidbits and cutscenes.

Oh, from what I hear of great software engineers at Microsoft, or Google, or those sorts of places that's pretty much it. They very humble, even though they've done amazing things. Because they very much know their work is built on the shoulders of giants. And that there's always someone better than them at something.

But I've not been at those sorts of places. And in other places, people like to become the big fish in their small little pond and then they can afford to be arrogant and egotistical because that's all they know, and they refuse to move to the higher pond, because they know they'd have to face being at the bottom of the ladder again.

And still, those some people are very good. In their respective pond.

At least that's how I see it.

Ok, cool :)

Personally, I'd love a departure from the top-down hack-and-slash. I think a 3rd person action rpg could work great. Maybe something like how the recent God of War was done.

Hm, or maybe something in first person like Borderlands? I mean, Borderlands has lots of weaknesses, but it shows that the concept works in that view.

Hey, that's fair enough. We react like how we react.

I can't say I feel insulted very often at all :)

I tend to glaze over most stories in games, because they're so derivative. I only really notice if they're particularly good.

As such, I don't remember much of the D3 story. Same goes for the D1 and D2 stories - apart from a few tidbits and cutscenes.

Yeah, I can understand that. But I was very fond of Cain from D2. And was really hit by their insulting way in which they wrote him off. And maybe that made me look at the entire script with a magnifying glass.

Given all the games you dislike i never figured you for a diablo fan. Personally I would play grim dawn over diablo but that's just myself.

Interesting.

Given all the games you dislike i never figured you for a diablo fan. Personally I would play grim dawn over diablo but that's just myself.

Don't you mean all the games you think I dislike that you've chosen to focus on instead of all the games I've talked about liking? ;)

Grim Dawn, however, is not my thing.

Hm, or maybe something in first person like Borderlands? I mean, Borderlands has lots of weaknesses, but it shows that the concept works in that view.

Yeah, except I think Hellgate proved it much more convincingly years earlier. Which is not a surprise since it was largely made by the people who did the first two Diablo games :)

It just came out a few years too soon. People couldn’t accept that model back then, and it didn’t help that it launched in a messy state.

But you can trace a direct line from Destiny/Borderlands/Division/Warframe back to Hellgate London.

That said, a first person exclusive would never work with Diablo. It would have to be both third and first person, like Hellgate.

Back
Top Bottom