Phoenix Point - Distinguished Havens

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Phoenix Point shows the progress being made on Havens so far. Screenshots and concept art are shown at the link.

Distinguished Havens

Havens are one of the largest and most important design elements in Phoenix Point.

Havens are the last remaining "safe havens" for humanity after The Mist started to roll inland from the sea. Usually built in mountains and other high areas above the reach of The Mist, these Havens are where the major factions call home and operate from.Throughout the game, many battles will take place in the NPC Havens of New Jericho, Synedrion and The Disciples of Anu. You will help to defend them from enemy incursions, set up forward operation bases and even infiltrate and steal from them. In addition, there will also be Havens that are independent from these factions. A major consideration for the design team has been to make each faction's Havens look unique.

Each of the factions and the independent Havens will have their own unique look and style. You will be able to tell who the structure belongs to from the design of the buildings, the colour scheme and the items and furniture that populate them.

Each Haven is further broken down into different zones, each with their own unique buildings and props. Our current Backer Build for example uses the New Jericho Industrial zone. There will also be things such as Residential, Food Production, Military and so on.

[…]
More information.

Tnx Silver for all the news. You are the best!

@you; @Archangel;
Thanks guys!

As for my sources...I get lucky sometimes.

What do you two think of the havens? I wonder if we could plant a bomb and collapse a building on some aliens. Strategically plant them to collapse in the right place and you could level a complex. Fully destructible after all. It probably won't be that complex but you never know.

To be honest I sometime have a bit of an issue with the gap between description of a feature and actual implementation so I usually wait to see the actual implementation before forming a well reasoned opinion. Having said that on the whole the description (and clips) for Phoenix Point hint at a well designed complex xcom (not complex as in confusing but complex as in much broader game-play that will give the player more avenue of strategic approach). Hopefully the actual game will realize the vision.

@you; @Archangel;
Thanks guys!

As for my sources…I get lucky sometimes.

What do you two think of the havens? I wonder if we could plant a bomb and collapse a building on some aliens. Strategically plant them to collapse in the right place and you could level a complex. Fully destructible after all. It probably won't be that complex but you never know.

They are talking fully destructable buildings so they must be considering the physics of the thing and how it will collapse. The backer beta doesn't damage your vehicle when you drive through a building at this point but it must be coming. Also I cannot imagine the game not having time delay bombs like the original x-com had. Even grenades could be set like that. So taking those things together I imagine its a possibility.

I think Snapshot will want a satisfying simulation. Its Julians signature at this point.

I also cannot really say much about their design decisions until we actually see something implemented. Hopefully they do make it so that stuff falling apart has an effect on those standing on top of it or under it.

Back
Top Bottom