Opinion - Old CRPGs & the CRPG Revival

I believe the original poster may not have had the posts necessary to be able to do the initial link, so Silver stepped in and saved the day. Or at least that's what I think may have happened.

But that would be a bug in the forum software as this is a news section and a user could not make the first post.... perhaps not perhaps he made a post else where and who knows...

I believe the original poster may not have had the posts necessary to be able to do the initial link, so Silver stepped in and saved the day. Or at least that's what I think may have happened.

So true. The great thing is that there are so many crpgs now you can pretty much play for your entire life without replaying a single one unless you really want to. I remember back in the 80's when it was easy to know pretty much every crpg being released and the main limit was how much pocket money you had and whether you had the right system to play the game. Now the problem is just getting the time to play them all!!

But that would be a bug in the forum software as this is a news section and a user could not make the first post?. perhaps not perhaps he made a post else where and who knows?
rocknerd hasn't even logged in in 10 years, seems unlikely he really posted it. (And even less likely that he'd have access to)

I must be the odd one out. I'm really fussy with what I like, I rarely find RPGs I enjoy even with so many games being released now-days. End result, I tend to replay what I like several times.

You’re quick in breaking things :)

Last edited:
I have to go to work, so I just disabled the automatic creation and update of the thread for news postings, for the time being. So we are back to old style. You can continue posting news, which I for one am quite happy about that you do that :)

Deleting and un-deleting a newspost is still enabled.

give it a chance and form your own opinions

My "inner cynic" says : "But younger generations don't want that !"

So true. The great thing is that there are so many crpgs now you can pretty much play for your entire life without replaying a single one unless you really want to. I remember back in the 80's when it was easy to know pretty much every crpg being released and the main limit was how much pocket money you had and whether you had the right system to play the game. Now the problem is just getting the time to play them all!!

I'd say possibly even more important is the fact there's a ton of varied CRPGs out these days. They're all isometric, but your Age of Decadence, Pillars of Eternity and Underrail are VASTLY different games, for example.

What I like about the revival is that each developer plays a role in bringing some innovations to the genre. They all essentially inspire each other to do better, which is why I expect subsequent games to be much improved. You can see that with some of the innovation from Pillars of Eternity i.e. (storybook segments) having inspired Divinity Original Sin 2 game master mode and Pathfinder Kingmaker also has story segments.

Back
Top Bottom