Bard's Tale IV

Do you have the codes for the code wheel thingy. I have the pdf but not an easy way to make one right now - pity they don't provide a software version. Hum… i wonder how hard it would be to make one - probably a pain to transfer the printout to software.

I made this one: https://gamejolt.com/games/btwheel/368934 (this one has both browser and windows app versions) but there are others floating around, there are several threads in the inxile forums.

You can also make your own if you know your way around an image editing program like gimp (basically, open pdf in gimp, cut all 3 wheels and paste them in a new image in different layers, use the colour selection tool to delete white areas, line the 3 wheels up so their centers match, then rotate each layer as needed).

Handmade codewheels are more fun though. :D It's exciting to use it in a weird, nerdy way.

Nowadays it's trash that undermines ecology.

These puzzles are kickin my arse. I'm in the Irschdale Forest and doing the Fairy puzzle to try and meet with the Fichti woman leader. How the heck do you do this one?

Handmade codewheels are more fun though. :D It's exciting to use it in a weird, nerdy way.

I've seen someone post a design for a 3D-printed code wheel on steam. That would be awesome. My hand-printed one looks kind of shoddy.

Has anyone purify the glade of mathan. If so I'm stuck - this is where I am but i have no clue what to do next:

I input the bear constaltion and went through the portal. At this point i no longer have a quest marker and the only instruction in the quest book is Enter the glade of Mathan but i have no clue where it is located. I did go through the double doors that opened when i teleported from the bear constaltion but there is no marker or label or a hint where the glade is located or what I should be doing at this point.

There is also a door by the wolf constelation i can't open.

How do you use the wheel. I'm trying the browser version listed above. It has an inner and out wheel and there are four symbols on the totem (in the game). THe problem i have is htat the lower symbol i see in the java script version but not the upper symbol. I presume we move middle wheel so the arrow points at the lower symbol but then where do we move the small window since the moon sliver doesn't show up .

Hm, if the moon sliver doesnt show up, the java script version may be bugged... ? Did you try a different browser? I think it worked for me in firefox.

yea firefox is the same as chrome. Maybe i don't understand it. Also for one of the symbols you don't even get a moon phase you get a thing that looks like a down arrow.
--
Maybe i don't understand where to see the moon phase in the browser version.

Maybe I should ignore the zodiac that doens't have a moon and only use the one with the moon but if that is the case this thing wants tea and orange ink - screw that.

How do you use the wheel. I'm trying the browser version listed above. It has an inner and out wheel and there are four symbols on the totem (in the game). THe problem i have is htat the lower symbol i see in the java script version but not the upper symbol. I presume we move middle wheel so the arrow points at the lower symbol but then where do we move the small window since the moon sliver doesn't show up .

This is strange, it shouldn't do that. If you have five minutes to take a screenshot so I can investigate it'd be grand. In the meantime you can try the standalone app version, it should work without issues.

I think the problem is that i don't understand the data on the totem itself. One side has a moon and one has a down arrow.

The top left down arrow looking thing is where you should line up the zodiac on the main wheel, i.e. the biggest one. Align it to the constellation directly underneath.

Same for the moon sign, except it's a little trickier. It has to line up depending on which way the moon is facing. Place the moon symbol on the wheel to line up directly with either facing moon, and you'll have your numbers. As long as the first step I told you is correct.

I've seen someone post a design for a 3D-printed code wheel on steam. That would be awesome. My hand-printed one looks kind of shoddy.

Mine does too a bit, but it's still fun and exciting to use, lol. Yes, it's kind of nerdy, but I like that they added it. A 3D printed one would be awesome.

Firstly, there is a zodiac associated with the arrow. That means, move the smaller code wheel so that the arrow points at that zodiac.

Secondly, there is a zodiac associated with a closing or opening moon. You have to move the middle wheel so that it a) points at the right zodiac and b) the three moons point at the same moon phase (again, opening or closing) that is depicted on the shrine. For b), make sure that you do not hold your wheel "upside-down" when figuring out which one is open/closed.

Last edited:
Ouch. So you are saying if I have arrow and wolf under arrow and moon sliver and bear under moon sliver; I point the arrow on the wheel to the wolf and the moon to the sliver and the bear isn't part of hte equation at all ?

Ouch. So you are saying if I have arrow and wolf under arrow and moon sliver and bear under moon sliver; I point the arrow on the wheel to the wolf and the moon to the sliver and the bear isn't part of hte equation at all ?

No. the left arrow represents the Sun, the right symbol represents the moon. Point the arrow of the SMALLEST (top wheel) to the sun constellation, and the wheel behind that (medium sized wheel) to the moon constellation. Just pay attention to which way the moon is facing. Line up the full moon symbol on the wheel to the moon direction shown on the shrine. So if the moon is facing right, line up the full moon symbol on the code wheel directly with the right facing moon. Does that make sense?

You'll then get 2 numbers representing items in the Almanac, which are the offering items. It's worth doing if you want to
craft legendary Elven puzzle weapons.

Back
Top Bottom