Steam - Dropping XP and Vista Support

Yea when I google it they made that a change in their latest patch (well latest patch a couple of months ago). It does soemthing funky where it consumes 25MB of internet traffic every startup which is why i noticed it in the first place and wanted to shut it down.
Doesn't do that to me... I have chrome as default though

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

No clue; not even sure I set a default browser but if i did it is chrome. I mostly just use windows to play games and linux for everything else. There is no personal info on my window box beyond stuff like steam, ea origin, …
-
The only web browsing i do on windows is the cable's tv guide since they explicitly disable the tv guide on linux (who knows just another shitty corporation). If the tv guide worked on linux i would remove all browsers from windows box.

Btw for fun run task manager then look at the tab that shows you = app activity history and sort by network usage.

Doesn't do that to me… I have chrome as default though

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If "initial release window" means 10+ years, I want the # of the blockbuster you get your "rentals" at.

Sorry, for necro'ing but perhaps my post wasn't clear. I'm not arguing that it is unreasonable for Valve to drop XP support but I find it unreasonable that games like Max Payne, V:TM are sold on the store but requires community patches to play on current systems. As long as some form of revenue is generated I find that unacceptable.

That is a reasonable position 'cept that if community patches exist there will be those who 'demand' that they be made available. catch-22. Perhaps their should be a sep area for such software (sort of like the current categories that hides types of games you don't want to see).

Sorry, for necro'ing but perhaps my post wasn't clear. I'm not arguing that it is unreasonable for Valve to drop XP support but I find it unreasonable that games like Max Payne, V:TM are sold on the store but requires community patches to play on current systems. As long as some form of revenue is generated I find that unacceptable.

Quite a few old games don't run on Windows 10.
But who cares, honestly? Steam cannot keep supporting ancient software forever, it was a sign of goodwill (or laziness?) that they did it as long as they did.

They should make sure that you cannot accidentally buy such games without a confirmation that you understand it likely won't work on your current platform.

Exactly. No developer or publisher has any obligation to keep their product running ad-infinitum. The product is developed for current generation hardware and software. Expecting a publisher to be responsible for keeping these titles running 10-20 years is not reasonable. Same goes for their distribution service.

Exactly. No developer or publisher has any obligation to keep their product running ad-infinitum. The product is developed for current generation hardware and software. Expecting a publisher to be responsible for keeping these titles running 10-20 years is not reasonable. Same goes for their distribution service.

This is the logic that really bugs me. Corporate suits using this argument may be acceptable - a consumer spilling this is enough reason to let me doubt the future of mankind. It actually reminds me of the people in this.

This is the logic that really bugs me. Corporate suits using this argument may be acceptable - a consumer spilling this is enough reason to let me doubt the future of mankind. It actually reminds me of the people in this.
Right because the developer of a product owes the world continual support forever. There is a big difference between trying to make something right when it doesn't meet expectations vs. pandering to every idiot that tries to use a product in ways never intended by the developer which includes operating systems and computing hardware 20 years into the future.

Does DOOM shareware still load from floppy onto your 486? Job done. Oh, but are your floppies still good today? Hrm sounds like lawsuit material there...

Sigh.

I can understand the Steam client itself not trying to support operating systems that have reached EOL, but it's a shame that games themselves have to face obsolescence. In Windows 7, they had a "Windows XP mode", which wasn't just the usual attempt at a "compatibilty mode" - it actually fired up an XP environment in a VM. MS has now dropped the idea, which is a pity. Having the equivalent of DOSbox for outdated versions of Windows wouldn't be very hard to maintain.

I can understand the Steam client itself not trying to support operating systems that have reached EOL, but it's a shame that games themselves have to face obsolescence. In Windows 7, they had a "Windows XP mode", which wasn't just the usual attempt at a "compatibilty mode" - it actually fired up an XP environment in a VM. MS has now dropped the idea, which is a pity. Having the equivalent of DOSbox for outdated versions of Windows wouldn't be very hard to maintain.

The client is really not much easier to maintain than the actual game, I would imagine that it's a case of "depricated means depricated (and we mean it this time!)" where stuff just finally rolls out of common use and breaks.

Back
Top Bottom