Do you have an idol?

Oh, the irony of using memes to call someone else a mindless robot… it's killing me, keep it up :thumbsup:

Who's the easier "idol" to follow for a zombie, the one made up by media and celebrities, or an "idol" hated by media, despised by celebrities - one that would take the zombie actual interest, effort and research to follow..? ;)

Who's the easier "idol" to follow for a zombie, the one made up by media and celebrities, or an "idol" hated by media, despised by celebrities - one that would take the zombie actual interest, effort and research to follow..? ;)

I don't know, never followed idols myself.

Paul the Apostle?
I'd say Trump but Mc Donald's comes second. See both could cure world hunger, or cancer yet be despised by everyone universally. It's the one cosmic truth it seems.:biggrin:

I'd say the easiest idol to follow for a zombie is someone with a reeeaally large brain.

Not really any idols, but maybe people I respect.

Sir Winston Churchill

I'm somewhat fascinated by WW2. It's probably one of the best examples of a war with true heroes. You can still talk to people alive today who experienced it (a couple decades from now, that will no longer be the case). Also much of the world today is still shaped by its effects.

Idols ?

Well … The closest that comes to that term are musician Mr. Mike Oldfield and writer Mr. Peter S. Beagle … Although I could never read his "Last Unicorn" book. I just cannot, because I would feel so small after reading that. And, of course, Mr. J.R.R. Tolkien. I wish I had access to so many languages as he did.

I think, these are the 3 persons that are coming more closer to the concept of an "idol".

Not really any idols, but maybe people I respect.

Sir Winston Churchill

I'm somewhat fascinated by WW2. It's probably one of the best examples of a war with true heroes. You can still talk to people alive today who experienced it (a couple decades from now, that will no longer be the case). Also much of the world today is still shaped by its effects.

There are horrible tales of deaths, rape, robbery, ruins and what not embedded in this. Most media just silence the ugly parts of that to death.

There are horrible tales of deaths, rape, robbery, ruins and what not embedded in this. Most media just silence the ugly parts of that to death.

Wait... Are you trying to tell me a WORLD WAR is NOT about rainbows and unicorns?

Who said anything about the media? My grandfather (on my mother's side) was in the British Navy:

W8dAZxi.png

And my father lived in the heart of Prague during the entire war.

FWQf7WL.png

I guess you could say they're my idols. Especially when my dad was caught writing "Hitler is swine" on some building wall (luckily not by the Germans).

As I said earlier I don't have idols but I do have anti-idols and they include people like
Donald Trump
Viktor Orbán
Tommy Robinson
and others who represent everything that is bad about humanity. Selfishness; greed; and worse while using and abusing the common folks to achieve.
---

And others who represent everything that is bad about humanity. Selfishness; greed; and worse while using and abusing the common folks to achieve.
---
Well based on your criteria that would include every powerful or rich man over 40. :p

I have deleted another post. Politics should not be discussed in this thread, use P&R.

Wait… Are you trying to tell me a WORLD WAR is NOT about rainbows and unicorns?

My grandfather was in Stalingrad, he said, but get transferred from there because of a wound.

I read about an exhibition about I think the victims of WWII. Very sad stories. I mean, civilists who were dying even although they had nothing to do with that trouble.

I sensed a lot of pain within my grandfather, so I never asked him what happened. He only told me a few things. Being caught by Rusian soldiers, and held in kind of barracks (is that the right word ?) there. Having so litle to eat. Having Pneumonia and never knowing whether he'd come back home at all. My grandmother once being called out from the field work - in a very poor rural area of Germany, in which there is still today not much else than quarries and agriculture. She was called from field work (almost everything around the village is still fields), to meet a certain person. The meeting of my grandparents was told so that I sensed that it was an very emotional moment for both of them. One grandfather of a friend, for example, never came home again.

I'm simply not interested in anything military. I'm interested in the stories behind all that. And there was a lot of pain in for those who became collateral damage.

And I find it sad that video games having WWII as a theme are *never* about civilists. Games are *never* about people defined as "collateral damage".

What an interesting way this thread "evolved" :)

I will refrain from commenting on Vurt's opinion here.

That said, I don't do the whole policeman thing very well. All opinions are welcome and interesting to me, though - obviously - my investment will vary.

Hmm, interesting question. Idol might be too big of a word, but I do admire a few people I suppose.

Elon Musk, for what he's trying to achieve and pushing the boundaries of innovation -- I am a firm believer that man needs to get out and explore the stars, the sooner the better.
JRR Tolkien, for sharing his unbelievingly beautiful Middle-earth with us.

As I said earlier I don't have idols but I do have anti-idols and they include people like
Donald Trump
Viktor Orbán
Tommy Robinson
and others who represent everything that is bad about humanity. Selfishness; greed; and worse while using and abusing the common folks to achieve.
---

+ Putin and whole Russian prison…ehm government system. And that guy from North Korea and his lackeys. Could find many more ofc.

Back
Top Bottom