Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bloody-Disgusting checked out the remastered version of Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne:

'Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne HD Remaster' Brings Back a Fascinating Demon-Slaying RPG

When critically acclaimed games look set to be marooned on older systems and eventually lost to entire generations of players, you'd be willing to accept any kind of port that keeps time alive and prominent for future prosperity. Turn-based RPG Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is one such game that is welcome to have back and readily available, but its relatively straightforward remaster shines a bright light on its age. It's pretty much the game it once was, warts and all, but maybe it could have been a bit more than that.

Originally released back in 2003 for PlayStation 2, Shin Megami Tensei 3 sees you as a Tokyo high school student who finds themselves thrust deep into the events of an apocalyptic cult's reconstruction of Earth known as the Conception. Becoming a Demi-fiend, the player ends up serving demons in their task to reshape the world for Lucifer. Exactly how that world is shaped is up to you though.

The game's opening quickly builds the looming apocalyptic event, learning about rumored cult activity whilst at a medical center, and seeing clues to the truth of it unfold as time goes on. Eventually, the event happens and the mysterious and weird becomes all-out bizarre as Tokyo is encapsulated in a bubble that turns it into a 'Vortex World' full of demons to both defeat and recruit.

[...]

Score: 4/5
More information.

Aw, man. I was just thinking to myself the other day, "If only they did a Shin Kegami Tensei III Nocturne" remake. And here we are!

Never heard of it or the franchise despite being on the -ish side of a JRPG fan but it looks like it could be decent.

Played SMT4 on 3DS and enjoyed it a lot. Going for this one on Switch. Presentation is clearly lacking, its old game, but I dont care much about that, gameplay goes first. Reviews mentioned also some outdated gameplay design flaws though. Anyway, will check on my own.

Doesn't look mature enough for me.
Skippin'.

Back
Top Bottom