Skyrim - Anniversary Edition Announced for November 11

greed.jpg

Don't forget the snake oil salesman behind the scenes Microsoft.:biggrin:

When I saw the headline I honestly assumed that it was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

But somehow it's real. Or Bethesda is actively mocking themselves now. I'm not sure which.

On a petty side-note, what is the deal with the young woman 's half-haircut? Did she leave the salon in mid-trim? I've seen a few with this stupid looking fad and it looks absolutely ridiculous. Edgy? Hardly.

It just blows my mind that they've had this game and SP series that has such longevity, such popularity, and they haven't bothered releasing a sequel or two yet. All those piles of cash they could have had, reputation that they could have maintained, and they farted around producing critically panned mobile and service-based games.
The way forward was so clear, so easy. Fucking dumbasses.

It just blows my mind that they've had this game and SP series that has such longevity, such popularity, and they haven't bothered releasing a sequel or two yet. All those piles of cash they could have had, reputation that they could have maintained, and they farted around producing critically panned mobile and service-based games.
The way forward was so clear, so easy. Fucking dumbasses.
Including MMOs. It's sad they took this path, and they're not the only ones.

At least they've been working on TESVI and Starfield for a while. I'm excited by that, but at the same time I hope they won't make that too dumbed-down, streamlined and heavy on automatically generated fetch quests.

I'd wager saying that this re-release has something to do with giving their new Microsoft overlords some short term cash, but Bethesda were douche bags long ago already.

With a 10-15 year cycle between TES games, I might be around for TES VII but that will be the last.

With a 10-15 year cycle between TES games, I might be around for TES VII but that will be the last.
You're pessimistic or old or both. ;)

You don't have to like that BGS has taken 10 years and counting to release another single player installment of Elder Scrolls (I don't like it either), but it's pretty silly to say that by doing what they've been doing they somehow gave up millions of dollars.

You don't have to like that BGS has taken 10 years and counting to release another single player installment of Elder Scrolls (I don't like it either), but it's pretty silly to say that by doing what they've been doing they somehow gave up millions of dollars.
There were five years between Oblivion and Skyrim; fans would have been happy with just another 5-year iteration on the same technology with a new setting and plot. They could have been almost up to a second iteration.
I think even one installment would have made more money than Fallout 76 or Blades, had less teething problems, and not kicked their reputation in the 'nads. Even if it made the same, you'd think their reputation would be worth more to them.

There were five years between Oblivion and Skyrim; fans would have been happy with just another 5-year iteration on the same technology with a new setting and plot. They could have been almost up to a second iteration.
I think even one installment would have made more money than Fallout 76 or Blades, had less teething problems, and not kicked their reputation in the 'nads. Even if it made the same, you'd think their reputation would be worth more to them.

I'm certainly right there with you on preferring a single player game by now. But they're making plenty of money. A low effort game like Blades where people pay money just to avoid tedium and speed it up, that's easy money, and a lot of it. I don't know why so many people are willing to pay money for crap like that, but my lack of understanding doesn't prevent those people from existing, and exist they do.

There were five years between Oblivion and Skyrim; fans would have been happy with just another 5-year iteration on the same technology with a new setting and plot.

Speak for yourself, that old and decrepit engine needs to die in a fire. I'm sure Bethesda are working on the worst of both worlds though - recycling Gamebryo, as well as decade+ long development cycles.

They're giving Jeff Vogel a run for his complacency money.

I don't know why so many people are willing to pay money for crap like that, but my lack of understanding doesn't prevent those people from existing, and exist they do.
Alas, you're right there.

The weird thing about Blades is that is only available on certain phones, thus drastically reducing the possible install base. My kids have tried to install it plenty of times, but even though they have had decent phones (Samsung octa core whatevers, etc), it's apparently not conpatible. My "old" phone was decent enough but couldn't run it.

I just upgraded my phone and can run it now, and had a look recently. It's not even what Todd advertised it as being. Town hub where you get teleported into a dungeon, then teleported back to the hub when you finished it. I thought they were going for a dumbed-down semi-open TES experience (maybe like those Ravensword mobile RPGs) but this is an even lower effort than that.

On a petty side-note, what is the deal with the young woman 's half-haircut? Did she leave the salon in mid-trim? I've seen a few with this stupid looking fad and it looks absolutely ridiculous. Edgy? Hardly.

I think it's a new fashion. Seriously.
There's even a Star Wars novel with a protagonist having this hair style now.

On a minor side-note I thought I'd mention Wabbajack, https://www.wabbajack.org/#/, since I just discovered it. Many people here may be well aware of it but this is a godsend for me. It allows you to pick a mod list press go and let it install all the mods in the list for you*. Come back and play. There are several good lists for Skyrim and also an adapted bevilex (probably the most popular) list for Oblivion. So if anyone has a hankering to play one of these games properly and safely modded then this is definitely a good option.

* The one down side being it requires a premium Nexus account.

On a minor side-note I thought I'd mention Wabbajack, https://www.wabbajack.org/#/, since I just discovered it. Many people here may be well aware of it but this is a godsend for me. It allows you to pick a mod list press go and let it install all the mods in the list for you*. Come back and play. There are several good lists for Skyrim and also an adapted bevilex (probably the most popular) list for Oblivion. So if anyone has a hankering to play one of these games properly and safely modded then this is definitely a good option.

* The one down side being it requires a premium Nexus account.

It's also the reason a number of modders withdrew their mods from the Nexus entirely.

That sounds like it could save a significant amount of time. I don't plan on playing Skyrim anytime soon, but I'm thinking about playthroughs of FO:NV and FO4 in the not too distant future. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Not sure why any modders would have an issue with it.

Back
Top Bottom