My windows 10 installation

P

pibbur who

OK, so I upgraded to win10 on my laptop. So far, so good. There are of course things I don't like:

1. Buittons appearing on the taskbar when opening a program or a folder are by default expanded so together they use most of the taskbar. For instance with 3 programs open, each button occupies 1/32 of the taskbar. Ugly! I don't like that. I've looked at the taskbar configuration tool, but there's no help there (no, choosing small icons does not help).

Hints please?

pibbur 13

Had that selected from the beginning. No effect. Thanks anyway.

Pibbur who want's to be slim (but not shady)

EDIT: I got it the way I wanted it using DisplayFusion.

Last edited:
Found the cause: Windows Blinds. For the moment I've uninstalled it, will reinstall later when I have more time to make adjustments...

pibbur who likes the blinded windows

Hmm. Pibbur, I love the icons on the task bar! I have about 20+ of them pinned there for easy access. :)

I have to ask, what is DisplayFusion and what is Windows Blinds? o_O

Displayfusion (https://www.displayfusion.com) is software improving functionality for a multimonitor setup, handling a lot of things from wallpapers to multimonitor taskbars and window management.

Windowblinds (http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/) from Stardock handles skinning of windows, task bar and menus. Unlike displayfusion which adds useful functionality, wb is mostly (purely) about cosmetics, so to many it's waste of money. But I like it. It may occasionally cause problems for other programs, so whenever a program behaves unpredictably, I always look for compatibility issues.

Pibbur who is completely skinned, and hopes to remain so for a long time.

I have been using ActualTools for a number of years but have had a lot of performance issues with it for the past year with multiple monitors such that I dont use it anymore.

Displayfusion looks like it covers most of my uses so I might look at that when I want to tackle that again ( I dont know that I want my machine remote controllable though).

Still not sure if I want to upgrade to 10 but so far sounds safe enough for my main home machine and very unsafe for my WMC machine. I'll give a few more weeks/months to see if there are any major issues that people have with it (not just technical but unwanted sharing and what not).

A game that wouldn't start: Civilization Beyond earth. It never got past the select play mode (ordinary or AMD mantle) dialog box, kept repeating it.

Of course, Google is your friend. A problem with NVidia drivers on laptops was suggested, but what did the trick was: Uninstall and reinstall the game. Problem solved.

I suppose other games may have similar problems and a similar solution.

pibbur who at the moment is happy with win 10.

Edit: Didn't someone suggest that we collect all win10 tips and tricks in one thread? I think that's a good idea.

Last edited:
Windows 10 finally fucked me over.

For some unknown reason, my Dot Net 3.5 installation got corrupted, and no matter what I did - I couldn't restore it.

Meaning certain games refused to launch, and I couldn't use my RadeonPro application.

So, I simply had to re-install Windows.

Pissed me off and I strongly suspect it was Windows Update that caused it.

Windows 10 finally fucked me over.

For some unknown reason, my Dot Net 3.5 installation got corrupted, and no matter what I did - I couldn't restore it.

Meaning certain games refused to launch, and I couldn't use my RadeonPro application.

So, I simply had to re-install Windows.

Pissed me off and I strongly suspect it was Windows Update that caused it.

Sounds reasonable to me (Joxer may disagree though. :)).

I should probably test it as well. If it's not too much trouble, could you list a few of the games you found didn't work? I tried googling for .net 3.5 games, without success. Only if it isn't too much trouble. (restrict it to RPG's, as I probably have those).

pibbur who was a bit unhappy when he discovered that his floortop decided to upgrade on it's own, without permission. He managed to stop it.

I should probably test it as well. If it's not too much trouble, could you list a few of the games you found didn't work? I tried googling for .net 3.5 games, without success. Only if it isn't too much trouble. (restrict it to RPG's, as I probably have those).

Do you also have a corrupt 3.5 installation?

Well, I don't think it's the games themselves that require 3.5 - but their launchers and stuff like that.

For instance, Might and Magic Legacy X refused to launch, because UPlay kept failing the 3.5 installation.

I don't have a list handy - but I know that a lot of Steam games require Dot Net in some form or another, but I'm not quite sure why.

For instance, Might and Magic Legacy X refused to launch, because UPlay kept failing the 3.5 installation.
I launch it via Steam and it always tries to re-install .NET 3.5. After that the game starts without a further hitch though (uPlay launcher).

I launch it via Steam and it always tries to re-install .NET 3.5. After that the game starts without a further hitch though.

Yeah, I could probably get it to launch - but I know that having a corrupt Dot Net installation will get me into trouble eventually, no matter what.

Also, I depend on RadeonPro to get SweetFX to work, so I couldn't do without it.

I really like the concept of forced updates - because it should ensure a level playing field for all games/apps - but it absolutely has to work, and I've had nothing but bad experiences with Windows Update.

Ever since moving to Windows 8+ - I've never managed to get all updates working. There's always some corruption involved.

It's terrible, really.

Do you also have a corrupt 3.5 installation?

Well, I don't think it's the games themselves that require 3.5 - but their launchers and stuff like that.

I don't have a list handy - but I know that a lot of Steam games require Dot Net in some form or another, but I'm not quite sure why.

Don't know if it is corrupted. But I have MMX, so now I can test. Thank you.

pibbur

(Joxer may disagree though. :)).
Disagree on what?

All I see is that you upgraded to win10 which is still glitchy (perfectly normal for a new OS) and instantly added some 3rd party system affecting software from stardock and god knows from whom more.
Of course you'll get more problems that way.

I suggest removing 3rd party "mods" and keeping only the "base game" for a while till win10 gets polished some more. It's operating system we're talking about here, something all software uses, it's not Skyrim where additions won't affect anything else.

I don't really have enough curiosity about Windows to risk being an early adopter, these days.

I don't really have enough curiosity about Windows to risk being an early adopter, these days.

I needed to reinstall anyway, so since it was free - I thought I'd give it a shot.

I actually expected it would give me more trouble, and I've decided to stick with it for now.

But I better not experience another Windows Update failure like this one.

Win10 is fast, stable and customizable. It still does have some quirks, but it's nothing serious (except "windows tips" glitch that can occassionally slow down the machine so you just disable that service for the time being).

Adapting to win10 UI if you came from win7 or earlier windows is instantenious. There is no mystery, annoyances or hidden stuff you're not sure where to search for it. Also, what you hate, you can change, hide from eyesight or completely remove (not quite everything, but that belongs to those "quirks"). Unlike win8, win10 is not torturing it's user.
If your first OS ever was windows 8, or you came from WindowsPhone you'll definetly need some more time to adapt.

The major OS problem is privacy settings being off by default, but in several threads here some of us already posted links on configuring that part. If necessary, a separate thread about just that can be made.

Disagree on what?

I was just making a bit - hopefully not too insulting - fun of you. :)

And for what it's worth, I was referring to the musketeer's problems.

My Win 10 installation works just fine. The only problem of some significance was Window Blinds, which I've uninstalled. I continue to use Stardock's Start10 - I still like that start menu better than Windows' own, and it works very well. Displayfusion also works flawlessy.

pibbur who actually trusts the joxer's comments and advice on win 10.

Back
Top Bottom