iPhone and iOS 10 and battery life

For reasons I refuse to go into, I had to buy a new phone. And the winner is Samsung Galaxy S7 flat. With a 200Gb ssd card, it cost me 3-4000 NOK less than the corresponding iPhone. I considered the Lumia, but decided (sadly) not to buy it, because it turned out that it lacked important apps, and support for my Polar H7 Buetooth heart rate monitor was underwhelming.

And.

For reasons I refuse to comment on, I needed/wanted a new pad. A Surface Pro. It cost med 2000-3000 NOK more than the corresponding iPad, but then it is a pad pc, with lots of options lacking in the iPad.

Very happy with both of'em.

pibbur who for now has said goodbye to Apple, but is not an Apple hater. And obvously not an Apple fanboi.

PS. I've named the pad "Tetrahedron". The phone is as always called "Anhima". DS.

Excellent on both - I was chatting with a colleague yesterday who is retiring early next year (the way Corning finance stuff works, May 1st is the best day to retire) and he has an iPad Mini and an old laptop and he was asking about the Surface Pro 4 ... he is definitely getting one now. I really like the way it works - still not an optimal tablet IMO ... but a really solid laptop and decent tablet. That runs real programs.

Also think it is great you grabbed the S7 - heard nothing but good stuff from friends with that. As noted, I love my Galaxy Note 5, but the lack of added storage is a bit of a pain - but honestly between Apple Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, etc ... not so terrible.

It will be interesting to see how Samsung manages their brand over the next year in the wake of the Note 7 fiasco.

Is it only the note that catches fire or the surface too?

Just the Note 7 ... and it is interesting that while most other companies use external battery testing labs, Samsung shifted to using internal testing - all part of trying to shortcut pretty much everything to get the Note 7 released and in customer hands before the iPhone 7 Plus launch.

As for the Surface - the SPro 4 is a solid build - the Surface and Surface Pro 2 were crap, the Surface Pro 3 was decent but the keyboard was crap ... and finally this time around they have something worth actually using.

You should probably not use your new S7 on the surface, even if it is not banned...

You should probably not use your new S7 on the surface, even if it is not banned…

Probably. Especially if it's the surface of water. There's always the risk of going under the surface (now and then) from there. As I've said, my iPhones were not very happy with that. Don't know abvout the S7, but I don't think that I'll test it in the foreseeable future.

pibbur who notices that there are a lot of different surfaces in mathematics.

I'm very happy with my surface (or Surface - after all it's not my skin and associated features I'm referring to here). I'll come back with a short and subjective "review" when I've had more experience with it.

Fore now, I have a question. The storage capacity is 256 Gb. That may be sufficient or not, depending on how I use the thing. I have a 1 Tb external disk I can use, but ideally I want to keep things nice and tidy. A 256 Gb USB stick would do the trick. But I can also insert a SD memory card (several formats supported) with at least 200 Gb capacity, which leaves the single USB port (3.0) available for other things. (Don't need it for a mouse, I use Bluetooth for that)

Choices, choices. Are there significant differences between the two when it comes to reliability, speed, other things? Any recommndations?

pibbur who has googled and therefore is even more confused than usually.

USB 3.0 is definitely faster than an SD card ... but in reality you won't see much of any difference in general use. And it IS confusing the more you look into it! :)

Are you also using Cloud storage? You Microsoft account comes with some (we also have a Office 365 account which gives us 1TB)

USB 3.0 is definitely faster than an SD card … but in reality you won't see much of any difference in general use. And it IS confusing the more you look into it! :)
Thanks. :)
Are you also using Cloud storage? You Microsoft account comes with some (we also have a Office 365 account which gives us 1TB)

I have Office 365, but I don't use cloud storage. I stick to a principle from Harry Potter: "Don't trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where it keeps its brain." I like to know where my files are. There's also the security aspect - seems like t hackers are able to gain access everywhere.

I may be completely wrong in this, so I'll welcome any advice.

pibbur who is less confused after reading the answer of the 1265th txa. And who wonders where the other 1264 are.

I'm very happy with my surface (or Surface - after all it's not my skin and associated features I'm referring to here). I'll come back with a short and subjective "review" when I've had more experience with it.

Fore now, I have a question. The storage capacity is 256 Gb. That may be sufficient or not, depending on how I use the thing. I have a 1 Tb external disk I can use, but ideally I want to keep things nice and tidy. A 256 Gb USB stick would do the trick. But I can also insert a SD memory card (several formats supported) with at least 200 Gb capacity, which leaves the single USB port (3.0) available for other things. (Don't need it for a mouse, I use Bluetooth for that)

Choices, choices. Are there significant differences between the two when it comes to reliability, speed, other things? Any recommndations?

pibbur who has googled and therefore is even more confused than usually.

It also depends on what you shove into your USB3 socket. Some USB3 memory sticks are actually slower than the best USB2 sticks, because many use cheap and nasty controllers that perform terribly.

For best performance, look into USB3 SSD memory sticks, like this one. I only use these now, because everything else is painfully slow by comparison.

Having said that, in your case I would probably make use of the SD slot - it's much neater, and keeps that USB slot free for when needed. Some of the fastest SD cards are fast enough to be used as storage drives, IMO.

Agree with Ripper.

And my basic point isn't about dumping everything to the cloud - because the concerns are very real. But at the same time, we are no longer operating where we need a 1TB drive to store all of our crap.

So I would recommend keeping local that which you absolutely must keep local, then absolutely utilizing the SD slot for stuff that isn't 'speed critical', USB drive for faster access, and Cloud for pictures and music other stuff that isn't needed for instant access.

Oh - and get a nice multi-TB external drive for backups. :)

pibbur who is less confused after reading the answer of the 1265th txa. And who wonders where the other 1264 are.

The other 1264 are spread throughout the last ~175 years, with the vast majority having long since passed ... I have met but a few hundred of those before me, and a few hundred of those who have come since.

Yeah, beats me too. Just 35 possibilities. An improvement to your 219:)

FTW means 'for the win' :)

News from the galaxy, here are the results from the Norwegian Jury:

Samsung Galaxy S7.
Works very well. It does almost all the things my iPhone 6 did and some more, but at a lower price. Some notable features I like:
  1. It has an earphone jack.
  2. It has an USB connection and I can actually access storage like any other USB storage device.
  3. It supports memory cards, so I've inserted a 200Gb SD card and finally I can have all my music available on the phone.
  4. It's water tight, which given the fate of my two iPhones may prove to be very important some time in the future.

I've so far only found 3 very minor negative things compared to the iPhone:

1. No android version of the Cyclemeter app. I used this one for tracking heart rate and more when exercising. I really liked it. There are of course similar apps on android, but none of them (at least none of the apps I tried) offers exactly the same functionality. I now use the Polar app, which is … OK.
  2. No Apple Health (surprise, surprise), which I used for storing exercise history, as well as weight and other measurments. Same problem, haven't found the same features in one android app. So now I use Excel for storing these data. Which is … OK.
  3. On my iPhone, if I switched from one sound producing app to another, or uncoupled my headphones, the first app closed down. Not on the Galaxy, so I have to remember to turn off the app I'm not using. Unless there is a parameter which I haven't found. Somewhere. No big deal.

Over all score: Yay!!!!

One more thing: My first smartphone was an android. Back then I felt that Google Play was a complete anarchy. Almost every app I tried had unreasonable requirements, and I was a concerned about security. I asked a couple of security experts in my company, and was told repeatedly that due to Apple's strict control of the app store, the iPhone was a bit more secure. Seems not to be an issue anymore, one reason could be that back then I downloaded a lot of apps, including games. Now I only download apps that I actually need, which makes a difference. (I have downloaded three games Mah-Jongg, Sudoku and Go and that's it). Joxer should be pleased by this.

pibbur who soon will also post details about his Surface experiences, but it's no secret that he's very satisfied with it.

Last edited:
Don't post details.
Install Viber, then install that same Viber on your PC. If the phone farts, you may still use PC to notify whomever you can't message/talk about it.

1. No Apple Health (surprise, surprise), which I used for storing exercise history, as well as weight and other measurments. Same problem, haven't found the same features in one android app. So now I use Excel for storing these data. Which is … OK.

pibbur who soon will also post details about his Surface experiences, but it's no secret that he's very satisfied with it.

I had some limited success with S-Health on my Galaxy Note 5 ... not as pervasive as Apple Health, but it did OK for step-tracking, etc.

Don't post details.
Install Viber, then install that same Viber on your PC. If the phone farts, you may still use PC to notify whomever you can't message/talk about it.
Meh to Viber ... no substitute for the full-line ecosystem of Apple's messages. Also II famously insecure.

For messaging, I recommend Signal, from the Open Whisper team.

https://whispersystems.org/

Highly secure, and with group messaging it functions as a private social network, too. I've converted most of my friends to it. You can also make free encrypted voip calls to other users.

Back
Top Bottom