CPU help

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
I was hoping to buy a new system right around this time. Though a couple of larger house bills have come up so it isn't high on my list of things to do right now. Though it looks like I just might after checking at can I run it with the new Witcher.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/284/Intel_Core_i5_i5-2500K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-2630QM.html

There is the link from the min requirements processor and the one in my gaming laptop right now.

Is there anyway to over clock my processor or anything less I can do besides biting the bullet?

Thank you in advance.

I'm a bit confused.... so you have i7-2630QM in your laptop? If so you can't overclock but, even if you could, I would never recommend overclocking CPUs in a laptop.

I think you'll be completely ok with that CPU, if your GPU can handle it, then it'll run okay.

Just compare your CPU to the minimum requirement AMD CPU instead.

Currently, there is absolutely no reason to overclock any quadcore intel CPU unless you're planning to render some realtime travesties that are not videogames.
On desktop PCs. On laptops… It's not that simple.

This particular intel QM model has a base 2Ghz tact, but if that laptop manufacturer did it right, they enabled turbo boost by default (to 2.9Ghz). If not, an option to enable turbo boost should be available in your BIOS setup, that option is sometimes disabled by laptop manufacturer not because they hate you but because the laptop design doesn't work well with boosted CPU and they don't want to hear your CPU fried.

You may check current CPU tact with this util:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If it's already boosted, you definetly won't have any problems running TW3 on that CPU. GPU is another "problem" however. I bet no current laptop GPU will be able to run TW3 on high settings. Yea, in a way, I say laptops=consoles. Inferior hardware. I'm evil, I know. :D

Basically, I suggest not using laptops for playing games. If one game works okay on them, there is always the second one that has problems and kills the overall experience.

A 970m or 980m sli laptop should run witcher 3.

There actually giving away free witcher 3 copies with the purchase of certain laptops with single 970m or 980m video cards.

So there are laptops that will run witcher 3 on high, but I'm in the camp that would never buy a laptop for gaming. Too expensive and not enough upgrade paths.

I'd always have to go with a desktop for gaming, purely for the upgrade path. Some people say that it's a moot point, because by the time you'll want to upgrade, you'll need to upgrade everything - but I disagree. A couple of years ago I built an i5 system and put a Geforce 670 4gb in it. It's served me well, but I wanted an upgrade for latest games, so I bought a second 670 off ebay for peanuts. In SLI, they far outperform a 980, and will probably keep me going for another couple of years.

I've done the same thing with the last couple of generations - it pretty much doubles the useful gaming life of the PC. Just always buy GPUs with the most VRAM, since that can't be expanded.

Okay,

I went to "Can you run it" site and everything on my system will run the game but the CPU. This is why I asked the question is there something I can do with this CPU.

As for the GPU it will run it but might just order an upgrade for the laptop anyways. They are reasonably priced and only a few days away(yes I can upgrade the GPU on this laptop).

As for why do I have a gaming laptop, I am on the road all the time and lugging desktop around just doesn't sound that fun. Also when I was younger I have built all sort of desk top systems and at this point in my life I don't really need two systems.

I'm a bit confused…. so you have i7-2630QM in your laptop? If so you can't overclock but, even if you could, I would never recommend overclocking CPUs in a laptop.

I don't want to overclock it, just asking if I could. Also confused why this processor wouldn't run the game as pre "can you run it".

CPU isn't much of a factor nowadays. My CPU costs less than 100 EUR nowadays (AMD Phenom X6), and it hardly uses more than 50% in any game. Actually the only game which uses 100% is my chess software. ;)
The bottleneck is usually the graphics card.
This may be different beyond 1080p, I don't know.

This is right from systemrequirementslab.com
"Sorry, your computer does not meet the minimum specifications required to run this product. Please review the details below for more information."

CPU CPU

Minimum: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

Currently, there is absolutely no reason to overclock any quadcore intel CPU unless you're planning to render some realtime travesties that are not videogames.
On desktop PCs. On laptops… It's not that simple.

This particular intel QM model has a base 2Ghz tact, but if that laptop manufacturer did it right, they enabled turbo boost by default (to 2.9Ghz). If not, an option to enable turbo boost should be available in your BIOS setup, that option is sometimes disabled by laptop manufacturer not because they hate you but because the laptop design doesn't work well with boosted CPU and they don't want to hear your CPU fried.

You may check current CPU tact with this util:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If it's already boosted, you definetly won't have any problems running TW3 on that CPU. GPU is another "problem" however. I bet no current laptop GPU will be able to run TW3 on high settings. Yea, in a way, I say laptops=consoles. Inferior hardware. I'm evil, I know. :D

Basically, I suggest not using laptops for playing games. If one game works okay on them, there is always the second one that has problems and kills the overall experience.

Thanks Joxer,

The turbo is running on it, I can't remember if I changed it a while ago or it came that way. The video card is not a problem to play but you are right not on the highest setting.

Back
Top Bottom