Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I just don't understand how you can have one of the best selling crpg's of all time and it's going to take 10+ years for part VI. I'm no business expert but that seems pretty stupid. How many of your core fans will have died in that 10 year wait? I'm talking about Arena and Daggerfall players.

My guess is that MMOIs take so much working power that there is almost nothing left for single-player RPGs anymore. Bioware is imho the best example for that … Although I often suspect EA "milking" Bioware too much.

I think it is just this : MMORPGs are the new thing. (Have always been, but it's even more apparent right now.) Offline SP games are out. Not even Bethesda seems to want to make them anymore.

I just don't understand how you can have one of the best selling crpg's of all time and it's going to take 10+ years for part VI. I'm no business expert but that seems pretty stupid. How many of your core fans will have died in that 10 year wait? I'm talking about Arena and Daggerfall players.
Like Alrik said Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax Media seems to have put more focus on the MP side of their Ip's for now. Add to that we have new consoles launching.

They also seem content to remake old games and sell paid mods on the creation site.

I think it is just this : MMORPGs are the new thing. (Have always been, but it's even more apparent right now.) Offline SP games are out. Not even Bethesda seems to want to make them anymore.

Is this post from 2010? MMOs are hardly a new thing. And offline single player games are not remotely "out". There's a long, long list of popular modern single player RPGs, many other genres are increasingly adopting role playing game elements, and the most anticipated RPG of this year (Cyberpunk 2077) is an offline single player RPG.

Vaporum: Lockdown - Release Date Announcement Teaser

Vaporum: Lockdown is coming out on September 15, 2020.
IGN Crusader Kings 3 Video Review

Crusader Kings 3 reviewed by T.J. Hafer on PC.
Suikoden successor Kickstarter Eiyuden Chronicle raised $4.5 million -PC Invasion
For those of us still longing for some good old Japanese role-playing experiences of yesteryear, some good news has arrived. Following the commencement of the Kickstarter project back in July for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, the spiritual successor to the Suikoden series hit its funding goal in about two hours. Over $1.5 million was raised the very first day, which was three times of the project’s goal. With such an impressive start, it is no surprise to see the final tally for the crowdfunding campaign. Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes ended the campaign with $4.571 million, which is mighty impressive.

Oh, Matt Chat did a review of Wasteland 3! (Clicks) 4.5 hours!?!?

My guess is that MMOIs take so much working power that there is almost nothing left for single-player RPGs anymore. Bioware is imho the best example for that … Although I often suspect EA "milking" Bioware too much.

It's MMORPGs that are out. They were the new thing 20 years ago. A couple of them still presumably make a lot of money (WoW and FF14) but it's kind of a niche thing now. None of the top moneymakers today are MMORPGs and nobody's really been bothering to make any new ones in years now. Most of the big money-making games today are multiplayer, but not "massively" anymore. There's been a pronounced shift away from MMO that's been going on for years.

I think it's time to retire Windows 7. Now it's reached end-of-life and is no longer supported, it will become more and more a problem. Games will require Windows 10 even without choosing to, as the tools they're made with target only that platform and its features.

I'm not a fan, but for gaming it'll soon not be optional.

It's MMORPGs that are out. They were the new thing 20 years ago. A couple of them still presumably make a lot of money (WoW and FF14) but it's kind of a niche thing now. None of the top moneymakers today are MMORPGs and nobody's really been bothering to make any new ones in years now. Most of the big money-making games today are multiplayer, but not "massively" anymore. There's been a pronounced shift away from MMO that's been going on for years.

It will be interesting to see how New World from Amazon does next year. It's been delayed twice and they have to add more end game content. If the company that's taken over the world can't make a profit from a MMO, other companies will be scared to try.

It will be interesting to see how New World from Amazon does next year. It's been delayed twice and they have to add more end game content. If the company that's taken over the world can't make a profit from a MMO, other companies will be scared to try.

I'd wager on New World failing hard. I really think the Amazon games division is a mess, and the development of New World has looked like a debacle. They released Crucible a couple of months back, and it was so poorly received that they took it off the market, and put it back into closed beta. Never seen that before. Apparently they've just had a major staff reshuffle - again.

Then there's their Lumberyard engine. I was very interested, and have been following developments, but, oh man… Things are a mess. As a project from a corporation like Amazon, the whole thing is embarrassing, and their forums are painful to behold. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the plug.

Why are you waiting for mmos noone knows when will appear.
Go buy Wasteland76 already.

Scarlet Republics a Tactical RPG set in a fantasy Renaissance Italy - Kickstarter

Guide your mercenary army through a deep and living world. Forge alliances and defeat your enemies on your way to claim your place in the rich lands of Corsano in this Story-driven Tactical RPG by Audacity Interactive.
Underrail Dev Log #68 The Psi Question - Development Update
On September 7th the psi update will be release on the main branch, but before that happens I want to briefly address this controversial change again and also offer a compromise.

First I'd like to restate that the reason the psi was reworked was not primarily because of its power, though it will reign that in a bit as well. I will not list all the major arguments I've given in the previous dev log here again, but the sum of it is that the psi is too cheap to spec in, in comparison to what it offers, and that there is no way to expand upon it without even further overloading it with combat versatility. There were multiple ways to address it and I went with what I think fits well. I went in a bit too hard with the restrictions, which I have since eased on a bit (check out the patch notes for details), but the point of the experimental build was to tweak these numbers and mechanics anyway. I think it's in good place now, where both the (now somewhat nerfed) pure psi wizards and hybrids are viable, though they will require more management in terms of resources and psi selection.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos - Gamescom Let's Play

At the Occasion of Gamescom 2020, the demo of The Amulet of Chaos is available once more. Make sure to try it before the end of the event! Till then, here is a complete Let's Play of the demo, to give you a taste of the game's feel and gameplay.
Wasteland 3 Brian Fargo & Mary Ramos Interview - Screenrant
While promoting the release of Wasteland 3, Brian Fargo and Mary Ramos spoke to Screen Rant about their work on the game. The first half of the interview features our one-on-one talk with Brian Fargo, discussing various facets of Wasteland 3, from its inclusion of online co-op multiplayer to the prospect of PS5 and Xbox Series X patches for the title. He also discusses his history of mixing licensed music with video games, like the inclusion of a Devo song in the video game adaptation/spin-off of William Gibson's seminal cyberpunk novel, Neuromancer. Once Mary Ramos joins the conversation, the focus turns to that precious intersection of music and storytelling and how she worked to give Wasteland 3 its own special sonic identity
Solasta Official Gamescom 2020 Stream - Twitch

First 14 Minutes of The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon DLC

Check out the first 14 minutes of The Other Worlds' DLC: Peril on Gorgon where the crew of The Unreliable are faced with a task of solving a mystery for a wealthy figure that seems to expose the darker side of Spacer's Choice.
The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon DLC - Exploring Spacer's Choice Office

Get a peek into the Spacer's Choice offices with the new Peril on Gorgon DLC for The Outer Worlds. The crew of The Unreliable embark on a new journey to hunt down the truth and the dark side of Spacer's Choice in this new story update.
Path of Exile: Heist Official Trailer & Developer Commentary

In Path of Exile: Heist, you will hire skilled thieves to help you pull off risky Heists. Steal valuable artifacts to fund and train your crew as you plan towards the execution of a Grand Heist.
Encased Development Update - How to Master Combat

Today we will pay maximum attention to bloody duels, strategic battles and spectacular fights in the world under the Dome. Welcome to the complete overview of the combat system!

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Tunes From The Past

Listen to beautiful songs from the Kingdom Come: Deliverance soundtrack performed live by Daniela Valtová Kosinová and Jan Valta, composer of the Kingdom Come: Deliverance soundtrack!
Drox Operative 2 Early Access Update - Status Update
It has been my intention to do a monthly Drox 2 early access report. This first one is at about the 3 month mark, so I'm a bit behind. :)

Drox Operative 2 is currently available on Steam and GOG.

As of this post, we've released 14 patches with 579 total changes (which can be read here). This consists of a ton of small fixes and balance changes, but there have been a bunch of larger changes.
Wasteland 3 Upcoming Stability & Co-op Fixes - Patch 1.1.0
Greetings Rangers,

First, we want to just reiterate our gratitude to everyone that’s decided to take this trip with us into post-apocalyptic Colorado. We’ve been blown away by the response from players, press, and even when there have been issues encountered, people letting us know how much they’re enjoying themselves.

However, we know that’s not true for all of you, and we’ve been working hard to resolve bugs and issues that are in some cases making the game unplayable.

Before we go any further, we ask that everyone refer to our Known Issues list as it does have some workarounds we’ve seen helping folks over the past week. Disabling auto-saves and temporarily disabling antivirus and/or firewalls have, as we’ve seen, resolved everything from crashes to progress losses to co-op disconnections.
The Witcher 3 getting a free upgrade for PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC -The Verge
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is getting a graphical upgrade for next-generation hardware, and current owners of the game on PC, Playstation, and Xbox will get the update for free.

Developers CD Projekt Red announced the news today, saying the updated game will be available on the PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC, featuring a “range of visual and technical improvements.” These include faster loading times and ray tracing graphics. The upgrades will apply to the base game, says Projekt Red, as well as to both of its expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine) and all other “extra content.”

The appeal of this news is testament to The Witcher 3’s lasting greatness. This is a game that came out five years ago but remains incredibly well-regarded and an appealing title for many to pick up and play through all over again. It still regularly appears in the top Steam charts on PC, too.

Ouch! I'm getting too close to that age group. Part of the problem is that Skyrim continues to sell well. I have a few friends at BGS and Skyrim still does well on all platforms. Not sure if Fallout 4 has the same longevity, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Bethesda earns a lot of money with ESO. I played it myself for a year.
And some Watchers like @Jaz; are still playing it on regular basis.

I got bored after I have maxed out my character, but it is fun for a while.

Back
Top Bottom