The TV Series discussion thread

https://tvline.com/2018/07/21/colony-cancelled-no-season-4-usa-network/

I'm not really surprised, but IMO the show was rather good. Nothing spectacular yet didn't go into pathetics or idiocies of similar Spielberg's stillborn Falling Skies. But that same FS rubbish lived for 5 seasons unlike now axed Colony so I guess worse the show, more seasons are made.

I think what killed Colony was not getting the usual California grants that such shows almost need to survive, and they had to relocate the series to Vancouver, if memory serves correctly. Not to mention we hardly ever got to see a single dern alien!

Disenchantment. I really want to like it, but 5 episodes in it is just ok. At best it is amusing, but I think the premise has a lot of potential. Let's hope it picks up from here before it can get cancelled. I heard the Simpsons also started slow (though Futurama is my favorite by far)

Last edited:
That Cheers 2 junk still isn't axed? Why am I not surprised.

Finished Sharp Objects.

Well, not sure what to think of this one. I mean, apparently it's based on a book by Gillian Flynn - who also wrote Gone Girl which was made into one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

It seems she's so annoyed with men always getting the parts of the "bad people" - that she's overcompensating by making women into this pure incarnation of evil - or just plain loathsome.

Frankly, I find it ridiculous and implausible - and it pisses me off a little, because most of Sharp Objects is really compelling. But they had to go and add a stupid twist ending on top of something that was already far-fetched.

It's a strange combination of interesting human drama mixed with over-the-top caricature.

Still, I was engaged and interested from start to finish - so there's that. Acting was superb from Amy Adams and pretty much everyone. They found a bunch of very talented and pretty little girls to act in this one. It's like they were all born to play evil bitches :)

But this writer seriously needs to rethink her priorities and maybe add a little balance to the mix. Feminism is a good cause - except when it turns people into morons.

We don't get any closer to equality by going too far in the opposite direction.

You know, I thought I was the only one, that thought that Gone Girl was one of the worst films ever made by a major studio. It was so bad I could only watch about a third of it before I fled the channel in horror, and it led to an irrational hated of the english actress Rosamund Pike which is only matched by my irrational hatred of the American actress Julia Roberts. I'm finding Sharp Objects dull, dull, DULL, but seeing that I've invested so much time in watching it I might as well finish up the last two eps tonight.

I also didn't care much for how Sharp Objects ended. The best parts for me were the slices of small town life in America, the story itself wasn't so compelling. I'm also not the biggest fan of the lead actress in the show.

Last tango in Halifax.
BBC comedy drama with Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid.

Amazing script. Wonderful acting, strong characters. I am hooked, right from the first episode and I am now in season 2.

Here is an IMDb review, I could not have worded it better:

Plot twists are bonkers but believable- absorbing present day drama
mailwendela12 December 2012

After the first four episodes and I am gob-smacked. It has been a long time since I have been so excited by a BBC drama & so refreshing to have it set in the present. No costumes, and no history lessons needed to be able to appreciate the emotions coursing through the characters as they cope with the manic plot twists. I say manic, but they remain believable nonetheless as plausible drama's we could all have happen in our lives. More surprising is that the rate of storytelling. Every second and every facial expression is made to count, but this never intrudes on the - real life time feel of the piece. If I have made Last Tango in Halifax sound mundane- it is not it is bonkers. For me the 'what on earth is going to happen next' factor is the biggest draw. But each scene on its own is already a mini stand alone story. If that is down to the quality of the acting the scene play or the production I cannot say. Last Tango is utterly absorbing and I cannot wait for more.

Info on IMDb
or
Wikipedia

Last edited:
You know, I thought I was the only one, that thought that Gone Girl was one of the worst films ever made by a major studio. It was so bad I could only watch about a third of it before I fled the channel in horror, and it led to an irrational hated of the english actress Rosamund Pike which is only matched by my irrational hatred of the American actress Julia Roberts. I'm finding Sharp Objects dull, dull, DULL, but seeing that I've invested so much time in watching it I might as well finish up the last two eps tonight.

Be glad you didn't finish Gone Girl. It gets increasingly implausible as it moves along - much like Sharp Objects.

Didn't find SO dull, though. I found it very compelling - and incredibly well made.

I just can't stand the overtly juvenile intention of the author. I believe she refers to her book as a "feminist fantasy" which is very telling as it reveals a profound misunderstanding of the concept of feminism.

Then again, I'm the sort of person that was raised in a very equal environment. There was never the slightest question of men and women being of equal value. My father worshipped my mother - and while it would be a lie to state the opposite is true, there was never any doubt that my mother loved my father in return. My mother probably had the ultimate emotional power - but I doubt there can ever be such a thing as 100% equality in any emotional bond.

Plenty of playful jokes at the expense of both sexes (two brothers and two sisters in the family) - which is never a problem if the foundation of equality is in place.

So, you might say I was almost born with the supposedly ultimate ideal of equality as a baseline.

Meaning, I find this constant battle of the sexes incredibly counterproductive and boring.

I fully understand feminism and the need for "justice" - but I think the entire notion is misguided, even the word in itself seems to suggest it's a fight for women - where it's actually a fight for equality. Which is what we should all strive for.

Fighting the opposite side - or going in the opposite direction will hurt our chances of equality, rather than help it.

It's like wars based on religion - where every bloodshed is avenged with more bloodshed.

Supremely stupid.

The End of The Fucking World.

Another cute dark comedy from Britain.

Last edited:
Wow how did I miss this, the trailer looks hilarious!
And there's a season 2 coming soon.:)

Is the serie This Is England'86 is good? I just stumble upon it while looking for shows similar to Skins.

Two episodes in on Castle Rock. Feels like a more mature, less whacked out Stranger Things. Stephen King's work always got a lot of flak for being too ubiquitous and for being "the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries" but when he gets it right, he gets it very right. I'm enjoying it even if it does feel derivative at times of certain works of the late Charles Beaumont (who had the misfortune to contract not one, but two brain diseases that killed him at a relatively young age). Bill Skarsgård (Pennywise in It) has a brilliantly creepy and unsettling way about him when he plays it for horror..

And there's a season 2 coming soon.:)

Is the series This Is England'86 is good? I just stumble upon it while looking for shows similar to Skins.

This is England is an unusual show, that started with the movie This Is England, and followed by three TV series. 86 is the first series, and so the second part of the story.

It's good stuff, IMO, but very gritty and harsh. This is not the Hugh Grant version of England!

Oh ok. It doesn't sound similar to Skins at all. Thanks.

The movie was good but depressing.
If the series are about the same topics, I will wait a little. I've had my fair share of that recently ;)

Last edited:
I remember many years ago watching a made-for-TV British movie called Made in Britain about a thuggish skinhead but it focused not on his acts of violence, (like in the movie Romper Stomper) but on scenes of the people trying to reach him before he's lost forever and dumped into the system as incorrigible. It had a mesmerizing performance by an actor I'd never seen before but I had become instantly intrigued with him. The actor was Tim Roth in one of his very first roles.

Disenchantment. I really want to like it, but 5 episodes in it is just ok. At best it is amusing, but I think the premise has a lot of potential. Let's hope it picks up from here before it can get cancelled. I heard the Simpsons also started slow (though Futurama is my favorite by far)

Yeah, Disenchantment is not dodecalicious. But with that episode of Futurama and the Serfsons episode, its pretty clear the Groening team wanted to do something in fantasy.

I don't think Bean and Elfo are relatable characters. Bean is a rebellious alcoholic teenager who's out of control. We certainly understand why she is but it doesn't make her sympathetic. The same goes for Elfo who needs a reality check. They also don't know if he's overly optimistic or unnecessarily troubled by his circumstances - the writers seem to contradict themselves with him. Lucy is cool and good for a laugh but he's one dimensional.

Simpsons did not start off slow. They did the opposite. They were so good they took over the show they were featured on (The Tracy Ullman show) and were fantastic for the first 6-8 years. Futurama was the same way - Groening caught lightning in a bottle twice. Fox couldn't kill it - until they finally did. The revival was the worst thing they could have done to the show because by then they told all their good ideas.

So Disenchanted's problem, I think, is the Groening team is trying too hard, like they've been doing with the Simpsons and they did with the Futurama revival. Its better than both though, IMO, probably because this is new territory and in spite of the characters (or just the voices) being too familiar.

Back
Top Bottom