Two Worlds II - DRM Details

Much ado over nothing….

I'm fine with Zuxxess. I activated their first game by (anonymous) telephone and was a happy player.

If the game would have had any need for a system like STEAM I never would have done that. STEAM is a customer enslaving DRM that hogs peoples PCs even if they just want to play a game.

So, again I am happy that they didn't take the wrong route with ther DRM and stayed away from STEAM.

I honestly do not understand all the fuss here. Perhaps I should've added in the newsbit a bit more about the way Two Worlds 1/2 plays --
Online portion of the game is free but you cannot play it on a pirated version. There're online checks like in an MMO preventing that. Therefore, paying for TWII is actually increasing your possibilities, while using cracked or outdated activations limits them.

Sir_Brennus also mentions the contacting-the-publisher option. Almost all of the moderators at Two worlds official forums are entitled to and perform such activations for paying customers on a regular basis, and will continue to do so. Then there's the telephone activation to which there's no limits. If you've used up your limited automated/over-the-internet activations, your game does not become completely locked out (as is the case with other limited-install games or software). You simply have to call someone or send a PM to a moderator. They also provide a password recovery service for online modes, reseting activation amounts, and re-activation of the game in absence of a permanent internet link at your location.

Seriously, if half the games I played would be that installation-friendly we'd have no discussion like that at all. I believe the Witcher 2 will follow a similar route for DRM. And in any case this only seriously concerns PC gamers who this time will be a minority of TWII players. Xbox already requires a sub to play the online mode, PSN doesn't, so you can also choose another option. With PC you have to put a little more effort into it for lesser amount of money... I guess this shows PC players already too lazy to call or register on the official forums, hehe...sorta like console players :p

Ok, that's the final straw!!! Just because of this terrible DRM stuff, I'm going to delay my order by 15 seconds. That'll show 'em :D

They should have came up with an alternative way of selling their product already.
The most interesting method I once read, which was about selling music - not software, was through sites where you would become a member by paying a small subscription and then being able to download anything you want without any limits or further charges. The income from the subscriptions would then be divided amongst the artists depending on the relative quantity of downloads of each one's work.

Well, at least that's how I remember it… I don't know how well it would work but the article I read was quite convincing. Of course I understand that would result in large companies getting less money while small ones get more… which sounds absolutely great to me but I can see why Warner and Sony would never want that to happen.
You mean like this?

My cycle is pretty much routine these days... go to store, grab the game, go home, while the game is installing search the net if there's a patch and go to a page for NO-CD patches, put the DVD back in the box and put it in the shelf, then play the game. Fallout 3 and Dragon Age is kinda annoying for the time it takes for the game to connect to the website.

Back
Top Bottom