Fallout 4 Surpasses Skyrim…huh.

I dont know how it started, but lately when it comes to debates here, people have started to subtly use poster behaviour as an excuse to derail conversations.

Pro tip: It doesnt [help] and makes you look like some goon.

Please avoid at all costs because it always diminishes the quality of debate.

Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Far Cry 3, MGSV, Shadow of Mordor. The Elder Scrolls series as a whole and their popularity pushed these games to be what they are now, there is no chance that they would gone that direction if Elder Scrolls games didnt get popular.

I'm sorry, but that assumption is just silly. It might hold true for FO 3&4 since it's the same developer, but we have no idea what direction the other games would have gone. There have been plenty of other open-world games/series in the past that existed well before TES reached a mainstream level of popularity.

I'm sorry, but that assumption is just silly. It might hold true for FO 3&4 since it's the same developer, but we have no idea what direction the other games would have gone. There have been plenty of other open-world games/series in the past that existed well before TES reached a mainstream level of popularity.

Which have:

1. Sold over a million copies

2. Realtime and open world?

?

I was arguing that the high sales of such Elder Scrolls games helped developers sell the idea to publishers to make a big budget open world game.

Like GTA?

Again, it's silly to to claim that those games would have went in an entirely different direction if not for TES. I'm not saying there wasn't any influence, but to act as if they would be completely different otherwise is hyperbole.

I've never played GTA, does it have role-playing elements similar to perks, skills, health, magicka, etc? I know it is immensely popular; at least on consoles. Is it popular and fun on a pc? It might be worth trying if it's open world. I thought it was linear and basically a shooter.

I have a hard time comparing TW3 with Skyrim with the 4 year gap in technology. The difference between 32-bit and 64-bit is huge just by itself.

Of course, the thread was talking about the sales of F4 and Skyrim and didn't mention any of the stuff people are arguing about....

Like GTA?

Again, it's silly to to claim that those games would have went in an entirely different direction if not for TES. I'm not saying there wasn't any influence, but to act as if they would be completely different otherwise is hyperbole.

Good point, that game didnt enter my mind.

I've never played GTA, does it have role-playing elements similar to ... magicka
No it does not.
Unless you're Need4Speed fan do not buy. you're not missing anything.

32823009415_f957498f0c_o.jpg

32008671653_5b038c99aa_o.jpg

How do you even do that ?

It's more than a whole year of gaming if all you do is sleep and gaming !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One reason I like modifiable games like these - you can really let your imagination go.

31929649404_7f96d9a940_o.png

32467384380_664f6db2aa_o.png

32848262785_298ceb6ef3_o.png

32468651040_7763e45fb3_o.png

32468652290_79f01d6b87_o.png

They are just a lot of fun. Just a few shots from a current story I am doing as an example of some neat stuff you can do in the game.

Was never into dolls growing up, nor am I now. But if it's one thing that Bethesda shows is that there's a market for a digital dollhouse.

Just comes down to different personality types at the end of the day.

This title is very misleading! Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies, so Fallout 4 will need to keep selling extremely well for a very long time to surpass Skyrim in overall sales. IIRC, Fallout 4 sales are over 16 million, but that's still not close to closing in on Skyrim's sales.

The title is misleading, but the post from Pete clearly states that Fallout is outselling Skyrim only from a release date comparison. In other words, Fallout 4 has sold more copies in the 15 months since its release than Skyrim did in its first 15 months. That makes sense. The popularity of Skyrim created several new fans to the Fallout franchise.

Fallout had very few sales, Fallout 2 had more, Fallout 3* was exponentially higher than the two combined, and now Fallout 4 benefits from both Fallout fans and Bethesda fans. It adds up to another billion or so in profit for Bethesda. If it wasn't for the drain that is ESO, Zenimax would be one of the top gaming companies around. As it stands though, the rest of their game company portfolio is a mixed bag. I wonder if Bethesda has to share their profits with the other companies or if they get to keep all that precious loot :D

*Fallout 3 benefitted greatly from the new markets. Fallout and Fallout 2 were pc only.

The title is misleading, but the post from Pete clearly states that Fallout is outselling Skyrim only from a release date comparison. In other words, Fallout 4 has sold more copies in the 15 months since its release than Skyrim did in its first 15 months. That makes sense. The popularity of Skyrim created several new fans to the Fallout franchise.

Fallout had very few sales, Fallout 2 had more, Fallout 3* was exponentially higher than the two combined, and now Fallout 4 benefits from both Fallout fans and Bethesda fans. It adds up to another billion or so in profit for Bethesda. If it wasn't for the drain that is ESO, Zenimax would be one of the top gaming companies around. As it stands though, the rest of their game company portfolio is a mixed bag. I wonder if Bethesda has to share their profits with the other companies or if they get to keep all that precious loot :D

*Fallout 3 benefitted greatly from the new markets. Fallout and Fallout 2 were pc only.

Not to mention when fallout and fallout 2 were released pc gaming was more niche and had a much higher barrier to entry.

Yes, all of that is true, I was just pointing this out for anyone who had been confused by the title; many might be led to believe that Fallout 4 has already outperformed Skyrim in sales. Personally I doubt that Fallout 4 sales will keep the long term momentum Skyrim's did (in part due to Skyrim's better reception by critics). Also Skyrim's release quite late in the last console generation meant it made sense for a re-release (Fallout 4 came quite early in the current console generation, and I can't imagine it being ported to the next console generation whenever that comes).

Back
Top Bottom