Encased - Preview @ IndianNoob

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Jay Krishnan has checked out the Early Access version of Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG:

Encased Preview- Making the Apocalypse Fresh Again

I've been saying this again and again. It's a great time to be a Fallout fan. While a true Fallout 3 still remains a pipe dream, there has been no shortage of good post-apocalyptic RPGs taking inspiration from the original Fallout in the last five years. Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence, Underrail and ATOM RPG has proven that there is still a sizeable audience for the ol' post-apocalyptic RPG formula pioneered by Wasteland and perfected by Fallout. Dark Crystal Games' Encased, is the latest game to join the list.

After a moderate Kickstarter success, Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG has finally launched on Steam Early Access last month. I know what you're thinking. Early Acess, ambitious RPG, yada yada. Not every Early Access RPG is going to be an After Reset, right?

[...]

While the 10 hours of content is not enough to form a full impression, the current build of Encased serves to give you a small taste of what's to come, as well as help decide if you want to periodically check back, issue a refund or keep it in your wishlist. Aside from some annoyances, I found myself having a good time with the current build of Encased. One of the most detailed prologues in an RPG ever and I mean it in a good way. I must have spent near to 5 hours on the tutorial section alone without being bored to death. It does a great job of introducing you to CRONUS, the world as well as get you acquainted with many of its systems.
More information.

Also sponsored this one, and I'm hoping that the combat makes up for some of the shoddy writing that I've seen to date. I'm a big fan of some of the games referenced to be inspirations for this one, so I'm betting they'll pull a victory out.

Also sponsored this one, and I'm hoping that the combat makes up for some of the shoddy writing that I've seen to date. I'm a big fan of some of the games referenced to be inspirations for this one, so I'm betting they'll pull a victory out.

They just need to hire some better translators I suppose. Combat is not that great now but it's something they're planning to address.

Didn't back this one on KS, can't remember why really, maybe I asked for something specific like shotgun wedding... ;)

It does look interesting though from that preview. Once it's finished I'll most definetly buy.

Jay has great reviews. Hits like 95% of the things that I'm reading a review for.

Choose Silver wing and you’re blessed with the emotional level of a rock
Encased (I refuse to address the game by its unnecessary full name)

Yeah, no thanks.

Fallout 1 stayed my favourite game for decades, but I'm thoroughly done with all the "spiritual successors"/clones/money grabs.

I don't want to play the same fucking game all my life, and I'm starting to get really annoyed by the lack of originality and artistic ambitions the devs of those games displays.
Like Frank Reynolds would say: "derivative".

*keyboard drop*

Yeah, no thanks.

Fallout 1 stayed my favourite game for decades, but I'm thoroughly done with all the "spiritual successors"/clones/money grabs.

I don't want to play the same fucking game all my life, and I'm starting to get really annoyed by the lack of originality and artistic ambitions the devs of those games displays.
Like Frank Reynolds would say: "derivative".

*keyboard drop*

Its a mixed bag though.

A game doesn't have to be similar to Fallout, but if you say "post-apocalypse" then people instantly compare the setting with the classic.

So you are left with a choice as a developer. Embrace it, or deny it. Both routes have complication.

*fixes his keyboard*

It's not just the settings. Those games all plays pretty much the same. Everybody want to make his own little Fallout…

Underrail for example is basically just an old-school Fallout game but with a human friendly interface, more depth and better combats (and also, cool gadgets).
Wich sound awesome, is actually pretty great… but bored me to death.
I already play this game. In 1997. I remember it.

Homage or clone, Encased also looks good and will do fine without me anyway.

I will wait for the full release, but it already looks quite good. It's a good time to be playing CRPGs!

Playing Atom RPG atm (super recommended) so I will start something non-post-apocalyptic after that anyway.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory hits November first week!

Back
Top Bottom