Assassin Creed Going Full Online GaaS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well if you want to hate Ubisoft even more.:p

Link - https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=223928
This morning Jason Schreier revealed plans for a project called Assassin's Creed Infinity on Bloomberg (may require registration or subscription). This is a new live game-as-a-service take on the series which Jason notes is an effort "to emulate the prolonged financial success of GTA V or Fortnite." And now Ubisoft has turned around and officially announced the plan.
To summarize Assassin Creed is transitioning to online only with the next game.

Yeah, surprise me. I really think it's only the battle of the console platforms that's keeping offline AAA games alive. In time, I suspect the type of games we enjoy will become almost exclusively an indie niche.

It sounds like they're talking specifically about that project not the entire series. Of course that doesn't mean they won't adopt the method for subsequent games.

Their mediocre games are already tied to Ubisoft Connect anyways, so I don't see this as some kind of huge change.

Live service is Ubi CEO's wet dream for years now.
The only thing he needed was to pick a franchise to ruin.

Here's hope it'll turn into his nightmare.

It sounds like they're talking specifically about that project not the entire series. Of course that doesn't mean they won't adopt the method for subsequent games.

Their mediocre games are already tied to Ubisoft Connect anyways, so I don't see this as some kind of huge change.

It didn't read that way to me. Between all the usual business-speak, it sounds like they're saying that the way they create Assassin's Creed period is changing to this games-as-service model.

Of course it's a huge change. Instead of buying discrete $60 games set in whatever time period, we'd have to subscribe to "Infinity" and be doled out bits and pieces of content for it.

It didn't read that way to me. Between all the usual business-speak, it sounds like they're saying that the way they create Assassin's Creed period is changing to this games-as-service model.

Of course it's a huge change. Instead of buying discrete $60 games set in whatever time period, we'd have to subscribe to "Infinity" and be doled out bits and pieces of content for it.

I was talking about the online part. Like I said, they're already using Ubisoft Connect anyways. Needing an internet connection the entire time isn't a deal-breaker to most people anymore. It's been fairly common for years now.

I realize some people here like to scream bloody murder every time a game requires an online connection, but the fact is that it's not really a big deal and hasn't been for a long time.

As far as the GaaS thing is concerned, yeah, that sucks. I didn't interpret the article as meaning all of their games are going to be that way from now on, but then I don't really care tbh. I feel bad for the people who actually like their games, but I've never been a fan of Ubisoft to begin with.

Love this reply and wish I could give the guy a few hundred cookies.:cookie:
It sure does. The added advantage is if they pull a Might & Magic X Legacy at a future date then they can shut down a whole bunch of connected games all at once instead of having to disable access to the games individually. How awesome is that? These are very exciting times. I can't wait to drop my $120 for Ubi's Ultimate Edition games which will ship with ONE ENTIRE season of DLCs and updates. So generous. I love it when you get to pay extra for seasons 2, 3 and 4. It gives the Ultimate Edition so much more value when you can keep spending money on extra content. It's like an ULTIMATE JOY. So awesome. I really hope they put up a preorder page ASAP so I can sign up extra early for all this glorious gaming greatness. Pretty please.

Not clear where they got that information, but it may well be true. Or it may be another speculation to attract more readers at Bloomberg. The Ubi news they point to only mentions a different collaborative development pattern, nothing more. Maybe I don't care enough to see the link.

Anyway, if they split game services by franchise, that sucks for people who're still playing AC.

Yeah, I'm old-fashioned and online requirement is still bothering me, even if that's been the norm for a while on Steam and other launch platforms. Recurrent fees and the ability to shut down any access anytime bug me even more.

I recently saw that several titles on my favourite Spotify playlist were greyed-out, not idea why. I never had that with mp3s :p

If you read between the lines with that announcement and what Jason Schreier has found out it doesn't bode well if you like playing the Origin/Odyssey games.

I hated Valhalla which apparently is the best selling game in the series now. I wont go on a triade as I wrote why plenty of times. Basically they removed and changed to much.

Bottom-line Ubisoft always screws up and then backtracks later on. I'm surprised EA got the worst company award when Ubisoft quite frankly deserved it more.

I was considering trying out Odyssey w/ the latest Steam sale. Until I was reminded about its Uplay requirement. M&MX, to this day, remains my only Uplay/Origin purchase - and we see just how lovely that's working out.

Live service is Ubi CEO's wet dream for years now.
The only thing he needed was to pick a franchise to ruin.

Here's hope it'll turn into his nightmare.

Its also the underlying theme to decisions that EA makes for years. If you attend their AGM they verbally glorify it as the holy grail of income as well as document it clearly in their minutes and their quarterly reports.

They seemed to have slowed down on the implementation of said rhetoric in the past 3 years however...

The easiest way to eliminate me as a customer for all time is to invoke an online requirement. Except for one MMO, I don't tolerate that nonsense in the least, I'll find something else to do instead.

Online requirements don’t bother me I’ve been always online for countless years.

I also don’t blame Ubisoft. It’s their job to make as much money as possible. They are just following the consumers that have shown them that this is not only a viable way to make money but it’s insanely profitable.

When consumers show them this way isn’t profitable it will go away.

Unfortunately it's the same as DRM, opportunistic Early Access, online requirement, forced updates, bugged releases, and so on. An insignificant minority will stand up for their principles, but an overwhelming majority will just comply and follow whatever new rule is imposed on them for profitability.

I've installed AC Rebellion on the phone.
It's a sort of live service, getting updates and new stuff every now and the, at least Ubi says so.
And you know what? It's a bloody lootboxes-o-rama.

Expect nothing less from the announced garbage4PC.

Well, if PC games can have phone quality, why shouldn't phone games have PC quality. ;)

Back
Top Bottom