Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC

Oh, I would also add: You effectively "save" a lot of money these days (compared to the early/mid 2000s and so on) by sticking to the same platform. My motherboard is a 2017 ASUS Maximus X Hero with a 2018 Intel i9-9900K.
Back in the day, you "had to" upgrade the base system (MB, CPU, RAM) much more frequently as well.
That is another reason why I'm finding it easier to splurge a lot of dough on a shiny new graphics card when they come out. The GPU is almost all that matters now (especially with a 4K screen).

Yes, rumor has it that the RTX 4000 consumer series (codename Lovelace) will be produced by TSMC on a 5nm mode. The RTX 4000 is once again supposed to become a monolithic design while AMD is supposed to apply their chiplet design from the Ryzen CPUs to the Radeon RX 7000 series.
It will be the first consumer multicore GPU if that is the case (ignoring pseudo multicore as in cards that had two chips on the same PCB, connected via bridges back some years ago).

It will be quite interesting to see who comes out on top next generation. Will AMD get the inherent between-chips-latencies and other multicore challenges (scheduling of tasks etc.) under control right from the start?
nVidia, btw, has also been working on multicore designs for years and the professional RTX 4000 cards (codename Hopper) might be the first to use it but consumer multicore on nVidia cards is not expected to happen before the RTX 5000 series.

The performance increase for both, AMD and nVidia, is expected to be very substantial. If that turns out to be true, it will be even harder to get a RTX 4000 card.

As for why I'm upgrading, well, I'm a techie nerd and a SINK (singe income no kids) so why not?

Quirks and all but I enjoy new tech like ray-tracing, DLSS and I have a 4K@144Hz screen now (huge 43" one). I'm a self-confessing graphics whore and I also enjoy sims like DCS World or MSFS which can never have enough horse power.

The days where we get a fully new GPU generation in the same year or maybe after 12 - 18 months seem to be over. It's always more like 20 - 27 months now.
You can get decent money for your old card on eBay so an upgrade to the next gen is quite affordable (before CoVid and crypto madness at least).

I have no problem spending that kind of cash on my hobby every two years or so. My only other hobbies are the gym and running/biking which are pretty low maintenance in financial terms (my gym is €19.99/month).
If you're feeling charitable, I'll take your old cards

I read today in a newspaper about an estimation that 2023 or 2024 might be filled with over-production, because everyone invests in fabs now.
I do hope that this becomes true.
Although … I fear that most of that will again be snatched away by coin miners.

Just dropping in for an update-- GPUs are back down to MSRP or below. You can get a new 3080ti for $1k. Much less if you want a heavily-used mining GPU.

IMO, with the glut of GPU supply, $1k is still too much for a 3080ti. If it drops to $700 I'll buy, otherwise I'll wait for the 4000 series.

I forget where you are, but amazon.de has some 3080 Ti's for about 1150 euros?

I doubt they'll ever be at $700 USD, unless maybe it's after the 4000's are out.

I was about to say that he must be talking about the 3080 not the 3080 Ti, but then I did a quick search and was surprised to see that you can indeed get a 3080 Ti now for $1K. I'm seeing 3080s for $799 on Newegg, and even the 3090 is only $1299 now.

Yeah, I really choke at spending on those prices for a GPU. I'm also a bit less bothered about upgrading, because RTX performance seems like it won't be as big a deal as I'd imagined, particularly with UE5 taking a very different approach to lighting.

In NZ, 3080 Tis are around $1200 USD still. The cheapest I've seen is just under the equivalent of $1100 (just under $1800 NZD). I couldn't justify ever spending that sort of money on a video card, especially since I have to maintain more than one gaming machine in this household.
I'm waiting for something a little more value-for-money to drop low enough to take the plunge and get two of them (bought an RX 6600 XT not long ago, still got two other machines on an RX 570 ITX and RX 580).

In NZ, 3080 Tis are around $1200 USD still. The cheapest I've seen is just under the equivalent of $1100 (just under $1800 NZD). I couldn't justify ever spending that sort of money on a video card, especially since I have to maintain more than one gaming machine in this household.
I'm waiting for something a little more value-for-money to drop low enough to take the plunge and get two of them (bought an RX 6600 XT not long ago, still got two other machines on an RX 570 ITX and RX 580).

I've noticed that as well. It does look like Aus/NZ still has a premium on Nvidia products. I think that is because of the sheer demand in the region for team green products. It has improved a bit but nowhere near as much as AMD GPU's. In NZ/Aus it really doesn't make sense to buy an Nvidia card if you just care about rasterisation performance.

In NZ/Aus it really doesn't make sense to buy an Nvidia card if you just care about rasterisation performance.
Indeed, we're a household of gamers happy with 1080p and no ray-tracing.

I used to be strictly NVidia only until I had to buy a cost effective ITX card for a smaller build (RX570 was best choice at the time), and then a friend donated some ex-mining RX580s. I have bought a couple of FreeSync monitors, since, too, so... (I have no idea if NVidia supports it better now, but at the time the support seemed to be spotty)

Since then the best value cards I've seen for our requirements have all been AMD, and the fully open source Linux driver for Radeon is awesome now, and I spend quite a bit of time in that. I think even if value-for-money becomes about the same, I'll stick with AMD for now for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom