Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 94% in PC Gamer

I'm really hoping this game lives up to the hype, just for once.

Maybe if we subtract 90 out of these scores and consider the result as being out of 5 instead of 100 they will become more convincing?

BTW... Honestly what's the point of using a 100 points score in something so complicated as a computer game (and especially if you are not going to use the whole range)? A 5 star system sounds far more efficient to me: you can easily justify a one star difference but how on earth can you justify this 2 point difference?

That review is in PC Gamer UK and by Tom Francis (which is apparently their best reviewer). The cover is also a DX:HR cover.

He gave Oblivion 95%, so I guess that means DX:HR is worse :p

Then again, almost every crpg has been worse than Oblivion, so it's not fair to compare DXHR to the masterpiece that is Oblivion. It means it's better than the Gothic pukes though, so that's good.

Then again, almost every crpg has been worse than Oblivion, so it's not fair to compare DXHR to the masterpiece that is Oblivion. It means it's better than the Gothic pukes though, so that's good.

Still think that it's been only downhill since Morrowind.

Numerical numbers at the end of reviews are 100% pointless.

Eager to read the review though. Tom Francis was a big Deus Ex fan if I recall correctly.

He gave Oblivion 95%, so I guess that means DX:HR is worse :p

PC Gamer UK score (Tom's review) was 93% for Oblivion and the game average 9.4 on Metacritic. He actually found Oblivion a grind, the AI stupid and the background convo annoying...but he's a big Elder Scrolls fan.

Another review is out for DX:HR:
OXM (Official Xbox Magazine) gave 10/10, but they tend to give 10/10 a lot.

Sounds promising. I don't trust magazine reviews any more though, I trust gamer opinions rather more.

But then we don't have that yet, so I'm cautiously optimistic for this.

BTW… Honestly what's the point of using a 100 points score in something so complicated as a computer game (and especially if you are not going to use the whole range)? A 5 star system sounds far more efficient to me: you can easily justify a one star difference but how on earth can you justify this 2 point difference?

Good point. Like in (almosty) any type of scoring, there is some uncertainty/variation - it's very unlikely that you use exactly the same scale from game to game, even if it's the same reviewer. Using a more finely graded scale than the amount of "natural" variation is also IMNSHO meaningless.

And of course: use the entire range. BTW, PC Gamer awarded "Plumbers don't wear ties" 3/100, AFAIR.

Me.

Personally, I don't get why people still care about these things. I mean, it's been incredibly evident for years now - that the entirety of gaming journalism is both corrupt and incompetent.

The best course of action, to my mind, is to completely ignore it.

Personally, I don't get why people still care about these things.

I guess it's rather the inexperienced people who have no idea how to build up an own expertise.

I'm only experienced with girls/women, not robots, androids, men or cyborgs :) I am very much looking forward to DXHR though. I agree with Dhruin? who thinks we've seen the whole game already through trailers. Honestly, somebody should connect the 80 trailers for this game and see if they can build a complete game with them :D

Back
Top Bottom