Steam IS DRM

Majnun

Sentinel
Steam does not equal DRM.

Many games just use Steam to install and launch the game the first time, after that you can find the .exe file in the game's steam folder and run it from there without it turning on steam at all. I'm not talking about running steam in offline mode here, I mean the game will start without using steam at all (once it's installed and run the first time using steam). I assume Dead State will be one of those games.

I won't argue that Steam == DRM, but it is definitely a huge pain in the neck. You have to register an account and install their client before downloading the files you want.

Steam is DRM for sure, but at least it has many things to do/purchase, and most of my games I can play offline. Things like Origin and Uplay don't have those options or abilities, certainly not to the extent that Steam does, and I find those both far more intrusive than I do Steam. Took me years to understand and accept Steam, but because I'm a pc guy, I got with the program.

"it is definitely a huge pain in the neck. You have to register an account and install their client before downloading the files you want."

"Took me years to understand and accept Steam"

I hope you people are trolling really hard here..

"it is definitely a huge pain in the neck. You have to register an account and install their client before downloading the files you want."

"Took me years to understand and accept Steam"

I hope you people are trolling really hard here..

Either that or they have trouble with keyboards.

Here, I'll spell it out for the couple of people who have reading/comprehension problems:

When the user has to install a third party client to run an unrelated piece of software, it is an inconvenience. Can you find fault with that sentence?

Here, I'll spell it out for the couple of people who have reading/comprehension problems:

When the user has to install a third party client to run an unrelated piece of software, it is an inconvenience. Can you find fault with that sentence?

Unrelated software? Cloud saves, multiplayer, automatic updates, not to mention the delivery system for the game.

When the convenience of the third party software outweighs the inconvenience of what?

Less than a minute download and install and a 1 time registration?

I don't want to derail anyone's hate of DRM but for me at this moment in time I want my games through steam and have actually repurchased any title I owned that wasn't on steam.

I can understand some people just don't like steam for various reasons, but I can't see inconvenience being one of them.

I saw this thread title and thought someone is necroing a thread from 5 or so years ago but apparently thats not the case!

I saw this thread title and thought someone is necroing a thread from 5 or so years ago but apparently thats not the case!
It's a bunch of off-topic posts from the Dead State news-bit.

Steam IS DRM.

Weather you like it or hate it is a personal matter not for discussion.

As a PC gamer, I can't play games without Steam - it's need is associated with the advance of the digital age (i.e. I have to accept and live with that).

Unrelated software? Cloud saves, multiplayer, automatic updates, not to mention the delivery system for the game.

When the convenience of the third party software outweighs the inconvenience of what?

The customer is bound by … well, not a ring ;) - but by … convenience.

Make the customer so lazy he or she wouldn't want to let it go … Watch Wall-e to see what I mean …

Or, to quote the famous Neil Postman : "Amusing ourselves to death"

And, even worse : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technopoly

It is, by its very nature, DRM, but it offers so many conveniences in return that only the most bullheaded still rail against it.

-updated patches
-central library of games
-easily-accessed forums for user comments/opinions
-And the stuff that some may like and other have no interest in: achievements, cloud-based media, etc.

What I don't like is having more than one of these digital game libraries (thereby losing a great deal of convenience). UPlay, Gamersgate, Origin… you were late to the party, too bad. GOG would be an exception since many of the games are unique to them… at least they used to be.

I make this point every time I see a thread about steam. People are not pissed about steam, the are pissed about getting steam shoved down their throats. You can hardly buy a game in a store without it just being a box with a steam code. some people have a slow internet connection, so downloading a game can take days and some people just don’t want to use steam.

I know the change probably have to do with stores abusing the used game sells, but it’s still annoying not to have a option about whether or not to buy a game over steam.

Last edited:
What I don't like is having more than one of these digital game libraries (thereby losing a great deal of convenience). UPlay, Gamersgate, Origin… you were late to the party, too bad. GOG would be an exception since many of the games are unique to them… at least they used to be.

Unfortunately steam needs competition otherwise we the consumers will loose out in the end since steam isn't here to look after our interests. However this will mean no central library but its a price that has to be paid...

Back
Top Bottom