The Outer Worlds - Interview @Den of Geeks

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky have been interviewed by Den of Geeks about The Outer Worlds.

To illustrate that concept, Cain recalls a time when a friend who played GURPS (an old tabletop RPG) decided to play as a "one-armed alcoholic fighter." Why? Well, he was trying to take advantage of the fact that the game let you build a character with inherent disadvantages in order to gain bonus points that can be assigned to other aspects. He was trying to game the system, but his plans were derailed when his group encountered a ladder in a sewer.

"There were these rungs leading up to a manhole, and so he got to it and I asked 'Oh, by the way, have you drunk anything today? You need to make a dexterity check,'" Cain says. "It turns out he had, and so he fell, and the rest of them didn't want to stop and help him, so they all climbed the ladder and ran away while he died...The rungs didn't mean anything to them, but to a one-armed drunk fighter, it was life or death."

[...]
More information.

100% interest here :)

100% interest in the game and the people behind it. There are so very few other games and people for which I can state the same, but I am quite happy where we stand now.
My preorder list right now:
1. Outer worlds
2. Wasteland 3
3. Cyberpunk

I've said previously and will repeat it once again. Based on everyhing I've seen and read so far about it, I believe this game will be crowned as 2019. goty at most places.

No, not just RPG of the year, but game of.
Yes, I've joked about some indie yesterday, there were quite a few great titles released so far (not all were RPG) and there is that Rockstar's overhyped mmo being ported to PC, but I'm dead serious here. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not possible to check everything in detail before the game is released. The potential is however out there.

Of course I'm buying/playing it day#1 (unless, as usual in that period of the year, have to travel for a few days due to job obligations).

Yep, the flaws system sound fun. I intent to play the most deficient and dumb character possible for my first run.
Boyarski and Tim Cain cited Futurama (and Firefly) as inspiration sources so I basically will role-play as Fry.

Shut up and take my money Troik… I mean Obsidian.

Edit: google tells me that "flawest" isn't a word. I put "most deficient" instead but I really think "flawest" should be a word.

It's not that hard to climb rungs one-handed; how else do you carry a paint can up a ladder? The real drawback there is choosing the wrong teammates.

Yeah, Obsidian makes great games, but they're often very unpolished at release. Will wait at least six months until I play this.

I don't think I'll wait that long, but it'll probably be at least 2-3 months for me.

Tbh, I'm a little surprised by how excited some people are. I've watched a lot of footage, and I'm not seeing anything that really stands out about this game. I like the art style, but nothing about the dialogue or combat particularly impresses me.

It's not that hard to climb rungs one-handed; how else do you carry a paint can up a ladder?

Much harder on a vertical sewer ladder :p

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm more excited about the prospect of Tim & Leonard working together again than I am of the game. It certainly looks like a fun game, but the practical certainty of game-breaking bugs and game-breaking patches is a wet towel on my enthusiasm.

PoEII was pretty clean at release, and the fact that it's not an open-world AND not using the Gamebryo engine give me hopes for an okay-ish day one experience. I won't wait anyway…

That doesn't say much about the state of the game at release but I heartfully agree that modifying core mechanics months after release is a terrible habit, and I hope Obsidian will lose it.
It's like they try to achieve a perfect game for the posterity more than for our entertainment as early (or not so early in your case) buyers. It's disrespectful.

I waited a year and half to play PoE 2. And Obisidan still managed to break my character with a patch halfway into my playthrough.

Yeah, PoE 2 was a little rough at release. All one has to do is go back and look at the various discussions from back then. I'll give Obsidian credit though.. they stuck with polishing the game for far longer than most devs do. Maybe a little too long in some ways.

I just finished playing Pillars of Eternity Two last week, and it was excellent, although it's sounding like waiting was the smart call. I much preferred the second offering over the first.

Back
Top Bottom