Fable 2 - Eurogamer Review

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Eurogamer's review is up, top marks for Lionhead's latest.
The swashbuckling animation and on-the-fly environmental details, along with your gradually expanding arsenal of moves, elevate Fable II's combat so much that it's the game's strongest point. Impacts are meaty, and enemies are varied in both strategy and appearance: massive trolls burst from the earth and bandits drop down from the trees, while hollow, skeletal men lumber towards you en masse before shattering under gunfire in a dry explosion of bones. The arrangements of enemies call for different strategies, and getting the most out of a fight still requires more traditional videogame attributes like skill and dexterity (in other words, I struggled).
Combat's not the only strong point, however: Lionhead's story is pleasantly mysterious, and its characters, quests and settings are all infused with an unmistakably British humour - more Adam and Joe than Monty Python, pleasingly. The sheer scope of the game is an achievement in itself, gliding from a knockabout Dickensian childhood through a grim middle age, and on to a conclusion which all hangs on some particularly tricky choices. Along the way, the narrative manages to cram in pirates, ghosts, and a familiar Fable variation on werewolves, a sure sign that the developers have your best interests at heart.
More information.

Damn, that's out of left field. Pity it's for the 360 only. Or is it? I haven't been paying attention; Molyneux has that effect on me.

the other review said the combat was the only weak point?

HELLO !?!? another proof of the quality of the reviewers these days.

Damn, that's out of left field. Pity it's for the 360 only. Or is it? I haven't been paying attention; Molyneux has that effect on me.

I was under the impression it'd come out for the PC too, just later, seeing as RPGWatch was covering it, but on a quick check now, I guess it really IS an Xbox exclusive.

I was under the impression it'd come out for the PC too, just later, seeing as RPGWatch was covering it, but on a quick check now, I guess it really IS an Xbox exclusive.

Every single Xbox 360 "exclusive" game and I mean every single last one of them has found its way to the PC sooner or later. From the Halos to the first Fable to Gears of War, Mass Effect, ... you name it. They have all made it to the PC. Just because Fable 2 for the PC has not been announced yet does not mean that the game will not come to the PC eventually. It is only a matter of time. If Fable 2 does not come to the PC I will eat my hat or uhhh hood :biggrin: .

Read this regarding PC version:
http://www.videogamer.com/news/01-10-2008-9516.html

As for the game, a little short, a little hand holding (optional, like several other games deemed too hand holding) a little easy.. but sounds like it could be good for some quick fun, certainly I'd be interested in the PC version.

Not likely to even see this game for awhile unless an xbox drops out of the sky for me. I've not played the previous game either, this looks like old British children's TV - that's a complement.

Back
Top Bottom