So what did you just grab from Steam's Summer Sale?

ElderGnome

Gnome of the World
High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
It's on. It's on like Donkey Kong. Why, Steam's Summer sale that is - where Donkey Kong is approximately 50% off right now in the Atari Bundle, I believe.

What I picked up today:

Van Helsing: Final Cut. Been waiting for this to go on 50% off and it did; I've never played a single Van Helsing game before.

Drakensang: River of Time. I hear this one is good and at 75% off, I can't not get it.

Balrum - Folk can't seem to stop loving or hating this game. When somebody is willing to hate a game enough to post 80 comments about it across a couple threads; I'm intrigued at 50% off. Even if it's bad, I've had bad sandwiches that cost more.

So. That was today's haul.. anyone else opening their hearts and wallets? Any recommendations?

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Life is Strange is the only thing I bought. I picked up Remember Me a few days ago though.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the prices since it seems like we've seen these prices before, but I bought Elminage Gothic for $2.99 and Risen for $2.49. I've been itching for an old school dungeon crawler, so Elminage Gothic is exactly what I was looking for. Risen was recommended to me in the 40 hours game time thread

Ashes of the Singularity: been eyeing it for a while but the [marginal] sale price and repeated comparisons to Total Annihilation & Supreme Commander made me finally relent.

I have Balrum, Lords of Xulima, Massive Chalice, Endless Legend and perhaps Dwarf run on my radar... Am yet to pull the trigger on any of them yet.

I am far too constipated with backlog to contemplate further purchases. I am trying to be strong. I will not yield. Perhaps I may get rocket league (!!). Maybe.

The Forest, Layers of Fear, Sakura Angels/Spirit, Renowned Explorers Society (or whatevr it's called) and Hatred

Not expecting much from Hatred, but I just have to see what all the fuss is (was, actually) about.

I got Witcher 3 at the end of the GOG sale. I might snag Tropico 5 - the complete edition is just $10 on Steam. I really need to get Kerbal Space Program some day.

Edit: And Tropico 5 was it.

Last edited:
Given what I've spent on kickstarter and gogs sale recently I really shouldn't but I'm going to anyway. I'll check my wishlist to see if anything demands a purchase.

I bought games from my wishlist
  • Sea Dogs: To Each His Own
  • FINAL FANTASY VIII
  • LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII
  • XCOM® 2
  • Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion
  • 7 Mages
  • Dungelot: Shattered Lands
  • DOOM
  • Eterium

I bought games from my wishlist
  • Sea Dogs: To Each His Own
  • FINAL FANTASY VIII
  • LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII
  • XCOM® 2
  • Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion
  • 7 Mages
  • Dungelot: Shattered Lands
  • DOOM
  • Eterium

If you can let me know what seven mages is like. I'm considering a purchase...

Very underwhelming sale for me, but the fact that I already own so many games might have something to do with that.

So far I've only purchased Fable Anniversary (85% off) and Spelunky (80% off).

Sea Dogs: To Each His Own

Have you played it yet? I was curious what it's like. I got a Gothic/Risen vibe from the footage I've seen.

If you can let me know what seven mages is like. I'm considering a purchase…

Just asked that in the news item - I like the iPad version well enough, but not enough to buy a duplicate copy for PC/Mac.

Couldn't help myself but pick up:

System Shock: Enhanced Edition
Dead State
Heretic
Resident Evil Remaster

Dungeon Lords
The Gate of Firmament
Blues and Bullets - Ep. 1
The Dwarf Run
Sword Coast Legends
Mordeim City of the Damned
Warhammer 40k Armageddon
Plague Inc. Evolved

Still eyeing Tales of Symphonia, The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians and Stranger of Sword City.

Still eyeing Tales of Symphonia, The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians and Stranger of Sword City.

I've only played Fall of the Dungeon Guardians for a few hours, but I really like it. It's basically Legend of Grimrock with turn-based combat. I think it's a steal at the current price.

I was disappointed with Tales of Symphonia, especially the combat, and wouldn't recommend it unless you're a hardcore Tales fan.

I haven't played Stranger of Sword City yet, but I think it seems a little overpriced for what it is. Just my opinion.

So far nothing, actually, as I these days unfortunately have reached a point where I actually considers if I actually am likely to play that game, or actually not. Another reason is of course that I bought lots of these games on sale when I didn't obey said principle.

pibbur who has adopted the same strategy.

Last edited:
I've only played Fall of the Dungeon Guardians for a few hours, but I really like it. It's basically Legend of Grimrock with turn-based combat.

Strictly speaking, that's not really true - as it uses an icon/hotbar/cool-down system familiar to MMO fans, so the flow of combat is more phased based/real-time.
As I said in another thread, it's an odd marriage of ideas, but still fun and indeed a steal at the price.

Life is Strange
1979 Revolution: Black Friday
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Codename: Panzers Bundle
Telepath Tactics
Defense Grid 2

And that's going to be it for this sale, I suspect. Now let's see if I can find the time to actually play these games…

I've got my eye on Stellaris. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Stellaris is good, but it's missing "something". It could really use a non-military victory objective. It's still a game that you're likely to sink 40h into before you get bored with it, but to me it's one of the weaker Paradox titles in recent years.

And I just looked through what they plan for the upcoming patch. It does look like Paradox have been listening to peoples complains.

Back
Top Bottom