Fallout 3 - Interview @ GamePro

I don't know, I guess the Elder Scrolls just aren't really for you then. Did you like Arena/Daggerfall? I don't know that much about them, and it's different because times and tech were different then, but aren't they based on the same design philosophies? Even random dungeons and all (I think).

No, the Elderscrolls games aren't for me, that's true enough. But they could be, and it wouldn't take all that much for them to be. Naturally, they shouldn't go and change their ways just for me, so that's that.

In any case, as I've said repeatedly, this is about what I think - not what is objectively true. If people find huge hollow games appealing, then I guess they achieved something great for them.

That's harsh, I know, but it's just to make my point. I think their design philosophy is incredibly flawed. I know there's a lot to like, and there might even be some people who actually prefer huge worlds without detail - versus smaller (not small) worlds with lots of detail.

I will say, though, that I think the vast majority of gamers (including fans of the franchise) would prefer all the good things about Elderscrolls games AS WELL as a detailed world - and that the size in itself is not the key feature for them.

But that's just what I think, and I really have no evidence to prove that.

Morrowind was my first introduction to the ElderScrolls series. Think I just saw it at a store without knowing much about it, and ended up buying it.

Thought it was a great game.
Then I followed the making of Oblivion and had very high expectations to it, but got disappointed. I felt they had taken notes of the people who disliked Morrowind for some reason and then changed it to please those instead of taken note of those who liked Morrowind and kept those elements in.

When I first heard that Bethesda had aquired the rights for Fallout 3 I was thrilled...both that Fallout would live on, but also because it was before Oblivion came out and I really liked Morrowind so I thought they could make a great Fallout.
Now I am not so sure, but my expectations are not that high either.
I don't expect something similar to Fallout 1 & 2. More like Oblivion with guns. But I am probably going to buy it anyway and I am sure I will have some fun playing it aswell.

Right now I can have fun playing Oblivion, I just needed to get Morrowind out of the picture so that I could play Oblivion like it is and not like I wanted it to be.

Back
Top Bottom