Revenant - anyone played it?

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch
I saw Revenant at an online store, and remembered that I was interested in it a while ago. It's from around 1999, and I found some positive reviews from back then.
Can anyone tell me if it's still worth getting?

It's been a long time since I played that game :) Here is a review that pretty much sums up my feelings on the game.
http://www.firingsquad.com/games/revenant/

It's different and fun. I don't think I ever passed it, but it was fun for awhile. I like that you had to use a keyboard. It fit well in with the gameplay. From the review it says that they had a hard time with spells, but I don't think I did. It just takes awhile to get used to, sorta like Gothic's controls.

All in all it's a vampire/diablo mix. Throw in some innovative features and mix it all together. Whaallaa you have Revenant.

I'd say if you like action/adventure games then get it. If you like games with more depth then pass unless it's increadibly cheap. Then try your luck, you might like it.

What, does one not use the mouse at all? I hate that! This almost sounds like Dragonriders of Pern controls, which I haven't played (yet - I might still) because I didn't like the controls.

Hm, it does sound interesting... It's not all that expensive, but it will be a waste if I detest the controls too much to play it.

On the other hand, like you said G1's controls do become second nature after a while... ummm.. Will let you know if I get it in the end, thanks for the info!

I still have it but can't get it to run on win-xp (originally for win-98) or compat' mode.
The game seems quite innovative at the beginning but somewhere about half way through it just dies and is a chore (repetitive) to get to the end. I would still like to give it another try for old times sake.
The game actually makes you learn the progressive combat combo's and will not advance until you learn the moves! - that was a new one on me.
(can't remember *not* using the mouse?)

You might have to load virtualPC if you can't get it to run in WINXP. A lot of my Win98 games are only playable through that.

EDIT: My mistake. You can use a mouse, but I never did. I found the keyboard the best way to play it. So no worries if you want to use a mouse :)

It's not as if I don't have a ton of unplayed games waiting for me, but the collector in me wants to get this while I still can. The XP incompatibility scares me though.

I'm still struggling to get System Shock 2 running on XP at the moment... *sigh*
Yeah, I guess VPC is the best route to go...

It was an interesting game, and I came back to it a few times, but it gets plagued by the same issues modern games have - it feels rushed towards the end. Still, I found the core gameplay interesting enough, and the magic system was fun too, so it's worth at least a few hours of trying, in my opinion.

I played it way back when, and being the packrat tiger that I am it's still sittin on my game shelf.
I thought it was kinda fun, my main problem was a show-stopping bug that nailed me twice and didnt want to go back and try again!

I played it way back when, and being the packrat tiger that I am it's still sittin on my game shelf.
Crap, I have an entire closet just full of games... I'm also bad with books that way. I don't have space left on bookshelves anymore.

I've played it for a couple of hours years after release. Didn't do anything for me. Might have been above average when it came out, but it didn't age well.

I'd rather play Nox. It's the more "primitive" game (more action than RPG), but it kicks ass.

Back
Top Bottom