What games are you playing now?

I had some fun with Guild Wars 2 but I can't go back either. It is the first time I've played an MMO that requires practically zero player to player communication. It is just swarms of players doing stuff coincidentally at the same time. Fun gameplay but a terrible model really.

In addition to lackluster skill development, that's pretty much how I felt about it. GW1 is and was a far superior game for me.

Just put in some time with the (finally released) Mac port of Torchlight II ... reminds me of how much fun that little game is :)

I sort of enjoyed Blackguards 1, but ultimately it was about frustrating combat. The 9 Hordes was one of the more annoying combat segments in any RPG that I've played. The worst was when you win some encounter, use up your potions, only to discover that immediately there's another round.
Potions? what's that thing you're talking about? :) I almost never used potions in Blackguards, but that's par for the course for me, I keep stocking potions and never use them in every single RPG I play.

Now I've tried the Banner Saga and oh boy, I think this game is really for me. Everything about is just so right. The pacing is perfect and I haven't been bogged down in mindless combat, instead conversing with others, managing my caravan and making decisions. When it's combat time I actually enjoy the intense fights.
I didn't really like Banner Saga's combat system at all. It was pretty stupid IMHO how you would alternate turns regardless of how many units there were, so the strategy for all fights was the same... reduce their health to 1 or 2 but not kill them, so that in their turn they don't do any damage.

Having played the recent major RPGs, I just wish that they'd stop making combat the central feature. FO 2, IMO, was perfect. Most of the time is spent in the towns doing quests and combat sequences were short and sweet. No dungeon crawling, no barrels or chests to bash, no constant flow of diamonds, loot and epic gear. Just dialog, exploration, NPCs, quests and some fights to spice things up.
Blasphemy!!!! To me it's all about combat. I don't care much about story or exploration or anything, just give me a challenging and interesting combat system with lots of options (preferably party based and turn based or RTwP), and I'm a happy camper.

Last few days I've played a little bit of Inquisitor again. Great game.

Also flipping between a few other games, which you can watch on my YouTube channel, if interested.

And that reminded me that I bought Torchlight II a year or so ago and never played it, well now is as good a time as any. Is there any good mods to recommend?

Never messed around with mods at all, not the best one to ask :)

I'm STILL playing Two Worlds Two. I show 431 hours but there are two other play-throughs, I think. My best guess would be about 90 hours so far this time. I'm just a sucker for open world exploration games. Outside of Skyrim and maybe Oblivion, 2W2 is hard to beat in those areas.

I'm STILL playing Two Worlds Two. I show 431 hours but there are two other play-throughs, I think. My best guess would be about 90 hours so far this time. I'm just a sucker for open world exploration games. Outside of Skyrim and maybe Oblivion, 2W2 is hard to beat in those areas.

I really wanted to like it - but I hated the archery implementation. Do you know if patches/mods improve upon that aspect of gameplay?

I really wanted to like it - but I hated the archery implementation. Do you know if patches/mods improve upon that aspect of gameplay?

Ug, the archery was pretty awful. I think the game's pretty decent overall, but found the controls to be really unwieldy. I also seem to remember the player model being really, creepily unsettling for some reason.

Inspired by its release on GOG, I've started playing around with Majesty again. It's such a good game. How has someone not looked at that, taken the best bits, and made a modern version that's actually fun? I blame the lack of pen and paper gaming and appreciation of classic fantasy among game designers, just because I feel like it.

Ug, the archery was pretty awful. I think the game's pretty decent overall, but found the controls to be really unwieldy. I also seem to remember the player model being really, creepily unsettling for some reason.

Inspired by its release on GOG, I've started playing around with Majesty again. It's such a good game. How has someone not looked at that, taken the best bits, and made a modern version that's actually fun? I blame the lack of pen and paper gaming and appreciation of classic fantasy among game designers, just because I feel like it.

Majesty was wonderful and full of charm!

The sequel, less so.

Yes, it's a concept that could really do with a modern take - but it needs to keep the atmosphere and charm intact.

That's my main issue with the new Might and Magic games, as they're pretty good - but they don't have that quaint NWC charm that the first HoMM games did so well.

Majesty was wonderful and full of charm!

The sequel, less so.

Yes, it's a concept that could really do with a modern take - but it needs to keep the atmosphere and charm intact.

That's my main issue with the new Might and Magic games, as they're pretty good - but they don't have that quaint NWC charm that the first HoMM games did so well.

I find very few games these days charming. The silly Lego games are the best we've got, really. I wonder if it's due to too many people working on most games with very little sense of ownership or actually enjoying what they're doing.

I'm with you on the M&M games. My favorites are still HoMM2 and World of Xeen, with everything after being a bit meh. When I was playing M&M X I found myself thinking "why aren't I playing Xeen instead?"

I find very few games these days charming. The silly Lego games are the best we've got, really. I wonder if it's due to too many people working on most games with very little sense of ownership or actually enjoying what they're doing.

I'm with you on the M&M games. My favorites are still HoMM2 and World of Xeen, with everything after being a bit meh. When I was playing M&M X I found myself thinking "why aren't I playing Xeen instead?"

Indeed, the people developing modern versions weren't part of the original development - and I suppose there's little incentive to go with "charming" for a new audience.

HoMM2 holds a special place in my heart - and I played it more than any of the others.

That said, I think HoMM4 and HoMM6 are better games, though I know that a LOT of people despise HoMM4. I liked it, though :)

I also prefer Xeen and MM6-7 to MMX. But I was never really a big fan of the MM series.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. :)

That said, I really ought to give World of Xeen another try. There must be something I'm missing…

I only got around to playing Xeen after the later ones, so you can't blame that on nostalgia. Well, not directly, at least. I think a lot of people might be turned off by the cartoony graphics and weird world, but the pen and paper games of the day were usually quite absurd and Xeen captures that same sort of feeling. I think that's one of the problems with tv, movies, and games these days: everything takes itself so damn seriously.

The later HoMM games are better games, but I just don't have fun with them. Nothing in them could match the feeling of building up an army of black dragons and stomping around a map in HoMM2. :D

I did not dislike HoMM4, but it feels lesser to HoMM3 for some reason.

I can't really explain why.

I can still play 3 for hours on end, but 4 just feels more stale.

Honestly, HoMM3 is probably the better game in most ways. It's much more balanced and polished, and it's got more factions and so on.

But HoMM4 went back to the charm to a degree, and there's a larger emphasis on the RPG aspects of the heroes, and I loved that you controlled your hero on the battlefield directly, instead of a supporter behind the lines.

Also, I almost always play these games in multiplayer - so I don't get to enjoy the highly questionable AI :)

Honestly, HoMM3 is probably the better game in most ways. It's much more balanced and polished, and it's got more factions and so on.

But HoMM4 went back to the charm to a degree, and there's a larger emphasis on the RPG aspects of the heroes, and I loved that you controlled your hero on the battlefield directly, instead of a supporter behind the lines.

Also, I almost always play these games in multiplayer - so I don't get to enjoy the highly questionable AI :)

I think the AI on HoMM3 is impressively good though.
I also like the hero being on the battlefield on Homm4 though. And at first they kept dying :D

I could buy the GOG version and we could play a game if you're free at some point. We could make a RPGWatch HoMM group :)

Only issue I have is I'm quite busy at the moment.

I think the AI on HoMM3 is impressively good though.
I also like the hero being on the battlefield on Homm4 though. And at first they kept dying :D

I could buy the GOG version and we could play a game if you're free at some point. We could make a RPGWatch HoMM group :)

Only issue I have is I'm quite busy at the moment.

Hehe, sure, we could do that. I don't have that much time for gaming these days, either - but if we can get a few people together, it could be fun :)

Playing Portal 2 and having more fun than I thought I would without bullets. Never played the first one so I wasn't sure what to expect. Started Wasteland 2 also, but just got to Ag Center so not very far in it at all. Blame P2 for that.

Since I always play mages, I've not dealt with bows all that much. There is a mod that gets rid of the monstrous reticule and also a skill, quick draw, that actually allows you to use a bow. The biggest problem with the bow is that you get one shot before creatures are in melee range and then the draw speed is much too slow. If you focus on the skill though, multi-arrow becomes a crowd killer at high levels. You can take out 10 targets with one draw.

I've finally set 2W2 aside as I love the first two islands the most and the endgame has an idiotic QTE.

I'm now playing Venetica and it seems very simplistic but time will tell if it stays that way. The combat so far has played like a gymnastics exercise.

Back
Top Bottom