Risen Becoming a Mage: Chapter 1 Skill Decisions

MasqureMan

Traveler
I know you can just use scrolls and all, but I'd like to be a mage my first time around. I have around 850 gold right now and am still doing Harbour Town quests, but I'd like to know what I should practice in terms of skill increases right now. I know alchemy would be good, but should I get any strength?

If you ask me, save at least 50-70 skill points before you go to chapter 2 to be able to develop one of your offensive spells early. You can't turn into a Mage in chapter 1 anyway. Don't bother with archery, crossbow, sword fighting, axe fighting, staff fighting and dexterity. You won't need them as a magician. Also don't worry about wisdom. It will be raised by book-stands and ancient stone tablets you find during the game, not by LP. Put some points on strength, but not much. Your should somehow raise it at least to 30, ( Strength potions and rings/amulets will help ) so you can use Arik's sword, which is a very good and suitable sword for a magician. Alchemy, pick locks and maybe sneak are important skills and you should learn them. Smithing is needed for two side quest later in the game, but you won't need to learn it at this point. Gut animals and Prospecting ore are worth to have too. I personally didn't find any need for pick pocketing. Seal and create scrolls are necessary for a Mage. Also don't raise mana for now. You will find potions that raise it permanently. They will suffice for a while.
For now, just do quest and get some LP and gold, but try to save them and spend them after you become a magician.

Yep, that's pretty much what I did. I also trained sword fighting to level 5, allowing you to chain more than 3 combos. I found this skill necessary to clear the island in chapter 2 (especially for ghouls). Of course, you could postpone that until you become a mage, but you may have larger groups of enemies to deal with, as more spawn in at chapter 3. Pickpocketing level 1 can save you a little money in acquiring quest objects in chapter 1 and 2, but it's not essential. If you don't want to do a lot of backtracking to unlocked chests, get lockpicking to level 3 ASAP. You can get it to level 2 in chapter 2, and to level 3 in chapter 3. Enjoy!

Off topic, but does anyone else enjoy toying with the games loyalty system? Apparently I can go around the monastery killing recruits and the masters will defend me. Me and Vitus against the world.

Back
Top Bottom