Recommend a Game

oh - I mixed Eisenwald up with a different game - that Japanese style consolish wizardry like game (I can't think of its name). Eisenwald looks interesting.

So does Endless Legends

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup would be real good on my phone if they could make the graphics like the windows version. I wonder why they don't?

Now Kingdoms of Amular...

Is it actually that good? With all the Kirk Schilling publicity it got the game itself seemed to get lost. At one point I was confused if he turned into into a MMOG or not.

Woah..vanquish seems frantic. Maybe I'll look for it for my ex-box and haul it over to my nephews.

The Stanley Parable is really innovative. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes different.

Is Risen 3 like the Gothics? That's why I haven't given it a chance so far.

Well, I finished L.A Noire, recently…If you want non standard AAA, that would be a good choice.
If you didn't like Gothics, then Risen(s) are definitely not for you.

And if you want something really different, I recommend Sakura clicker. Hope you have strong wrist muscles. :p

Now Kingdoms of Amular…

Is it actually that good?

It's that great, actually. IMO.

The MMORPG was another project they were working on in the Amalur universe. Reckoning is a single-player RPG set in a massive "open-world" with 10,000 years of pretty cool lore written by R.A. Salvatore. It's high fantasy, I'd say, with some of the zones being very magical feeling and storybook-like almost. Cool story, lots of loot and different ways to approach the action combat. I enjoyed it a lot.

By "open-world" I mean it's not like an Elder Scrolls open-world. Although it is comparable in size to an ES world (if not bigger), it has a "bubble" design where you have these very large "bubbles" connected by narrow paths. Each "zone" (of which there are 5 total in the game) is made of several of these "bubbles". You can explore freely, go where you want, etc., but there is also a sort of "guided" feeling to it as well. It works pretty well as the bubbles themselves are open and the game is massive.

Does any of that make sense? :p

Ya, Amalur is good if you're after an action, fairly light RPG game. I thought it was very pretty to look at too, each zone is slightly, edit - quite a bit, different. Yes there's lots of loot - maybe too much. It's randomly generated a la Divinity 2 so the volume of items can get a bit overwhelming. There's quite a bit of content so it does run a little long and by the end you can mop the floor during regular encounters pretty easily. Everything is voice acted and there's some choice/consequences.

It reminds me of a single player version of MMOs like TESO, SWTOR which I also enjoy when the mood takes me. I'd say it's worth the $20 asking price but you can pick it up for like $5 pretty often and a that price it's good value.

Last edited:
Ya, Amalur is good if you're after an action, fairly light RPG game. I thought it was very pretty to look at too, each zone is slightly different. Yes there's lots of loot - maybe too much. It's randomly generated a la Divinity 2 so the volume of items can get a bit overwhelming. There's quite a bit of content so it does run a little long and by the end you can mop the floor during regular encounters pretty easily. Everything is voice acted and there's some choice/consequences.

It reminds me of a single player version of MMOs like TESO, SWTOR which I also enjoy when the mood takes me. I'd say it's worth the $20 asking price but you can pick it up for like $5 pretty often and a that price it's good value.

I paid $60 when it was new and felt it was worth it. It's a massive game with hundreds of hours of quality content.

I don't see it being anything like an MMO to be honest. ESO or SWTOR simply do not feel like this game does, imo. I honestly think people heard that 38 Studios was making a separate MMO in that universe and that influenced them subconsciously or something into thinking Reckoning is like an MMO.

Yes it is random loot, but there are a few hundred hand-crafted weapons as well as many armor sets (which you'll never find all the pieces for, but they do exist in the random loot tables). Definitely pretty to look at. Some of the "bubbles" and areas are breathtakingly beautiful. I would also say each zone is more than "slightly" different as well. For the size of the world there is plenty of visual variety, as well as some really cool design in the various zones and bubbles. Interesting quests, factions, the works.

The combat is fairly easy at all times, so play on Hard (which really isn't hard at all, but 38 Studios shut down when they were in the process of adding new difficulties via patch, etc.). I wouldn't really call the RPG "light", either. It's a bit more magical/high fantasy than some, but at its core it's a pretty deep and engrossing single player RPG that you can lose yourself in. It's got a lot in common with an Elder Scrolls game in that regard. Lots of options on how to build your character as well (the Destiny system is neat, you can create any types of combination of classic Warrior/Thief/Mage classes and doing so opens up new Destiny cards, which give you special bonuses based on the "class" you've unlocked.)

Also, there is a fan-made mod you can use to make the game much harder overall. You can tweak a lot of different things with it actually. My friend made a video showing how to use it and it's got a lot of great options.

Lulz :)

Whilst not as enthusiastic as Mr Fluent I do agree it's a good game that's worth getting and IMO doesn't deserve the bum wrap it gets from some people.

Amalur is worth getting, but that's mainly because you can get it for around $10 :)

It's not a bad game, but there are definitely better 3rd-person, open-world games out there.

Amalur is worth getting, but that's mainly because you can get it for around $10 :).

There is a lot more reasons to then the cheap price. I is a very enjoyable game with a ton of content to it. I didn't play it until earlier this year because of the bad things said about the game and the company.

I really enjoyed it, not one I would replay but wouldn't have been upset if I had paid full price for it. For me it was only a bonus that it didn't cost me that much this year to buy it.

Ignore the whole 38 Studios and Kurt drama.

Amalur is still a good game. It does have MMO elements to it (typical quest givers everywhere, zones, etc) but it take only the good elements from that and puts them into a large single player world. If you need to get lost in a world for a long time, that's definitely one to do it in.

Amalur is worth getting, but that's mainly because you can get it for around $10 :)

It's not a bad game, but there are definitely better 3rd-person, open-world games out there.

There are? Which ones would those be? And "open-world games" are not my thing. Please name RPGs only.

And $10…wow. The game literally has around 300+ hours of content. It's the same size world (or larger) than Skyrim or Oblivion. I played at my usual pace and played for 250 hours without even seeing the last 2 zones. I'm talking 2 full zones, each one made up of several large bubbles. The game is huge.

Also, the DLC is some of the best content I've played in an RPG, maybe ever. The Legend of Dead Kel is amazing, IMO.

There are some downsides that 38 Studios was looking to fix. If you use the mod you can correct some of these issues yourself, such as reaching level cap (40) too early, increasing the combat difficulty and changing a setting so the Fate meter fills up much slower (or turned off completely if you choose), just to name a few.

There is a lot more reasons to then the cheap price. I is a very enjoyable game with a ton of content to it. I didn't play it until earlier this year because of the bad things said about the game and the company.

Like I said, I don't think it's a bad game. I just think there are too many better open-world games out there, and I wouldn't recommend Amalur unless someone had already played all of them.

The Gothic series, Divinity II, TES, The Witcher 1-3, The Risen series, and Two Worlds 1&2, are all better imo.

Like I said, I don't think it's a bad game. I just think there are too many better open-world games out there, and I wouldn't recommend Amalur unless someone had already played all of them. The Gothic series, Divinity II, TES, The Witcher 1-3, The Risen series, and Two Worlds 1&2, are all better imo.

Gothic - well, yeah. The first 2 that I've played are 2 of the best RPGs ever to me (with the first one being my favorite of the 2). Not sure many people on this site haven't played these, though...
Risen - great series. I recommend the first 2 games a lot as well (haven't played 3 yet).
Divinity II - good game as well with some interesting ideas, but I lost steam at the dragon parts and would place this a slight notch below Gothic/Risen.
TES - sure, but these are meant to be enjoyed as first-person RPGs, IMO. That said, definitely excellent open-world RPGs.
Witcher - haven't played any of 'em.
Two Worlds 1 & 2 - ehhh...the first game was cool and the 2nd was just okay to me. I would place these last on the list.

I wouldn't say these games are "better" than Reckoning. For one, they are all much, much smaller in scope than Reckoning. The only comparable games in size would be the TES games and probably Witcher 3. Two Worlds is pretty large but doesn't have the content that Reckoning does.

Secondly, Reckoning is also a very well-polished game. Minimal bugs (if any, I don't remember finding any and it's generally regarded as "almost bug-free"), good quest content with multiple factions to join (a la TES series), interesting story (you start as a character reborn from death. It's pretty neat), good voice acting/graphics/animation (if you're into all that stuff), as well as a lot of other good aspects. Beautiful areas to explore, interesting bosses and fleshed out zones. It's underrated, IMO, and it stands up there in the league of really good modern RPGs for me.

I'm not interested in derailing this thread with a debate. We all know you're extremely high on Amalur, and that's fine. I'm just naming games that are similar because they also use a third-person view and take place in fantasy settings. The "size" of a game has nothing to do with quality.

I personally think those titles are all significantly better for a PC-centric gamer, but if you want to debate why then start a separate thread for that.

*Edit* Hmm… I missed Luck Day's post where he states that he doesn't like "dark and gritty" type games. After seeing that, I suppose I wouldn't recommend most of those titles after all. He might want to check out Venetica though. It's definitely a much lighter style compared to those games.

Last edited:
Size doesn't matter, true. But when you have a game that is huge and high quality that you can get lost in it's that much sweeter, IMO. Amalur stands in its own category in that sense. Even hard to compare to TES because Amalur has so much more visual variety overall.

Last edited:
Another Fluent 10/10?…Say it ain't so! :p
Amalur has a bit better combat ( that still wears out pretty quickly) than most action rpg's, but is honestly lacking in almost all other other aspects…quests, story, dialogue, characters, ambiance, voice acting, music and so on. Guild questlines Skyrim quality.
While there is a lot of lore, I didn't find it particularly interesting or well written( but that is more a subjective thing).
Loot would've been great if you didn't find superuniquespeciallegendaryartifact under every pile of rubble…sort of Diablo feel to it, with one hell of a boost for drop rates.
Sure is colorful, though.
Some dialogue is simply stellar: https://youtu.be/ACQ5rEk3UAs?t=1606
Feels closest to Inquisition and Dogma, which are both overall simply better games.

Last edited:
Venetica though. It's definitely a much lighter style compared to those games.

Never heard of that, until now. Watching it now on Steam, looks interesting. Did you play it? Looks sort of Fable-ish.
Chick is definitely hot, though. ;)

Like I said, I don't think it's a bad game. I just think there are too many better open-world games out there, and I wouldn't recommend Amalur unless someone had already played all of them.

The Gothic series, Divinity II, TES, The Witcher 1-3, The Risen series, and Two Worlds 1&2, are all better imo.

Oh! I am not saying there isn't better games out there. My only point to your comments is there is a lot of reasons to buy and play it not just because it is now 10 dollars.

Never heard of that, until now. Watching it now on Steam, looks interesting. Did you play it? Looks sort of Fable-ish.
Chick is definitely hot, though. ;)

It's a musthave/mustplay game and is nothing like Fable.
Some people here didn't like it for a few IMO irrelevant reasons (main protagonist is female, combat feels too arcadey, etc).

*Edit* Hmm… I missed Luck Day's post where he states that he doesn't like "dark and gritty" type games. After seeing that, I suppose I wouldn't recommend most of those titles after all. He might want to check out Venetica though. It's definitely a much lighter style compared to those games.

Y'now that's fine. Its the title of this thread that that I was going for mainly. This is a bit different an idea from "what are you playing now".

But now for some sacrilege: for games like Amular and Venitica, are they fun on console?

I played Skyrim on my XBox -esp. since I felt it was designed around console. The only think I missed out on is the mods IMO, which I admit was pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom