Original Sin - Now on Steam Early Access

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well by now most of you know Divinity: Original Sin is available on Steam Early Access. They released a new press release yesterday with more information.

Larian Studios’ Divinity: Original Sin Now on Steam Early Access

After last year’s $1M crowdfunding campaign, Larian is unleashing its old-school single-player and co-op RPG on players to get feedback and polish the final experience.

Larian Studios is taking RPGs back to their roots with Divinity: Original Sin, which is now available on Steam Early Access. Check out the brand new trailer here, then go grab the game on Steam.

The Early Access game is available at two pricing tiers:

Standard Edition: 39.99 EUR/USD – Gets you the Early Access game and the final game (this is the same price as the final version)

Co-Op Deluxe Pack: 59.99 EUR/USD – Includes two (2) copies of Divinity: Original Sin for cooperative play, and a double pack of Divine Divinity + Beyond Divinity.

Divinity: Original Sin goes back to the values of memorable cRPGs: isometric, party based, turn based, gripping dialogues, choice and consequence, deep story, profound character and party development, a big interactive world filled with characters and items, free exploration... There is only one main goal, and how you get there is completely up to you. But everything is more fun with a friend and so is Original Sin: drop-in, drop-out multiplayer takes care of that, both online and locally.
More information.

How does Steam early access work? If you buy the early access version of the game do you still have to buy the retail game too? Or does payment for early access get you the completed game when it's available?

How does Steam early access work? If you buy the early access version of the game do you still have to buy the retail game too? Or does payment for early access get you the completed game when it's available?
How it works is you buy the game at whatever price is asked. It's usually higher than what was asked in the Kickstarter. Many debates have started over this.;)

You are then given access to play the alpha, and beta versions during the games development. At the end of Early Access you then get the full game.

Blackguards and every other EA I've seen works just as couch said, except for WL2 which is quite a bit more for EA than it will be at release.

Need to come up with another abbreviation for early access something about EA just doesn't seem right but I can't quite figure out what.:lol:

Blackguards and every other EA I've seen works just as couch said, except for WL2 which is quite a bit more for EA than it will be at release.

Need to come up with another abbreviation for early access something about EA just doesn't seem right but I can't quite figure out what.:lol:

Ah, if it's IN the game, will it be IN the game!! :D

Last edited:
Early Access works different depending on the title. One thing they have in common, if you buy Early Access you also receive the final version of the game without having to pay extra.

The difference is some devs only provide access to a certain part of the game, like one chapter or something similar, until they release the final build. One such example is Might & Magic X: Legacy.

However, each developer posts on the Steam store page what players get when purchasing Early Access, so I suggest reading that before buying anything (and forums as well).

Another game (like Wasteland II) where I'll wait until the game is cheaper. I'm not paying $40 for early access to an unfinished community funded indie any more than I'll spend $60 for an unfinished community funded indie.

I play a LOT of early access and/or alpha games and the majority of them don't pull this lame stunt of going steam early access at a higher price to attempt to gouge people in the name of generous backers. This practice seems a bit weak to me and looks to be taking advantage of both the generosity of people and/or the fact that a lot of people on Steam have no idea what they're buying.

One might think that backers support the games no matter what, and support it the most, and would want to see the game get as much funding as possible without having petty issues about how much they put in and when. So one might also think that putting a game up for early access at the same price as the final price and/or at a reasonable price would get MORE money for the game before release to fuel additional development.

Apparently though, there are enough suckers or fools that will overpay for early access, thus the pricing of this game and WL2, and to me, that's a corporate type of mentality towards customers, not an indie, community funded, we're going thru KS so we don't have to deal with corporate publishers route.

Another game (like Wasteland II) where I'll wait until the game is cheaper. I'm not paying $40 for early access to an unfinished community funded indie any more than I'll spend $60 for an unfinished community funded indie.

Apparently though, there are enough suckers or fools that will overpay for early access, thus the pricing of this game and WL2, and to me, that's a corporate type of mentality towards customers, not an indie, community funded, we're going thru KS so we don't have to deal with corporate publishers route.

WL2 has a high EA price because the earliest tier in the KS where you got early access was 55$. Perfectly reasonable decision, as to not screw over their backers. I do however understand that you don't want to pay that much, but Inxile did right by me by charging such a high amount.

As for D:OS I expect the released game to cost at least as much as the early access, it's only partly crowdfunded and the backers already get the game. Why shouln't they charge 40$ for that game? I want them to make money so they can produce more games.

You are then given access to play the alpha, and beta versions during the games development. At the end of Early Access you then get the full game.

Got it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom