The olympics

Of course it wasn't fair. And cruel.

But was there a way out which was fair and not cruel?

Was she North or South Korean?
South Korean.
Yesterday the North Korean women's soccer team delayed their match for over an hour because they were offended by a mix up that showed the South Korean flag next to their names. They refused to take the field until they received word from North Korean officials that it was "ok".
Wrong flag again? Understandable behaviour by the North Korean team. This is the olympiad. They have every right to expect to be treated like the 1000s of other athletes.

One event that drew me in over the weekend: Womens Archery. I was absolutely glued to the screen watching the South Koreans (for the 7th straight time) beat China for the gold medal. Unfortunately I missed the mens event. I understand the Italian archer needed a "10" (or Bullseye) to win and was successful? Damn thats a high-pressure shot. Deserves a gold for that performance. Surprised how exciting an event it really was.

And Congratulations to Kim Rhode in skeet shooting. 5 straight olympics with a gold medal. 99 out of 100 targets hit. Tying the world record (and setting an Olympic record I believe.)
When asked if she could have that one miss back she said yes, but it gives her something to shoot for in the next olympics. Thats the attitude to have. Well done!

South Korean women's archery team always wins gold. They are well-known for it.

I'm shocked that North Korea is doing so well with 3 gold medals (unless the tally is wrong?) Kim Jong Eun must have whipped them pretty hard :lol:

German press says that the German's results were rather underwhelming - und unexpected at that.

Apparently prime minister Cameron@uk has trouble sleeping because of the very nearby beach volleyball arena. And one or two of the spectators cheering.

pibbur who refuse to watch the beach volleyball events

I guess congratulations to Mr. Phelps (and some other americans) is in order.

pibbur who still can run faster than they swim. At least he hopes so.

I don't think that's going to make her feel better. It may even feel like they are mocking her.

BTW congrats to UK for the 1st gold medal.

Last edited:
Heh, I watched the volleybal match between Russia and Algeria (women). The russians dominated the first set completely, but in the next two sets, which they won, they made a lot of mistakses. All in all not a very good match.

The russians are tall, and by that I mean TALL, two of them measuring 202 cm. One of them is Ekaterina Gamova. I found this photoset on Youtube, not particularly intersting, except for the sequence starting at 0:28.

pibbur who decided to reach 190 when he was young (he reached 191). Which is tall enough, considering the height of doors.

I don't think that's going to make her feel better. It may even feel like they are mocking her.

I had exactly the same feeling, curiously.

More seriously, hear about the badminton? Four pairs decided to try and lose matches to get themselves more favourable draws, to the dismay of the spectators and judges. They've all been disqualified.

Canada might win another medals out of this!

Thanks purpleblob.

In return, I give you Boris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19079733

More seriously, hear about the badminton? Four pairs decided to try and lose matches to get themselves more favourable draws, to the dismay of the spectators and judges. They've all been disqualified.

I heard that in one of the matches both teams tried to lose. Must have been quite a sight.

pibbur who doesn't have to resort to cheating in order to lose a badminton match

Talking about mocling her:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/vid...s-fencing-shin-lam-video?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

It's worth mentioning that there was no hostility between the athletes or between the Korean and German fencing team & coaches. Heitmann confirmed that she talked to the Korean coach (the one involved in the protest) for a couple of minutes a day later. He congratulated her and both agreed that the situation was unfortunate.

--------------------

Throwing the shuttlecock teams out was correct. Screw them. They got what they deserved.

Sigh, South Korean team is running into series of bad luck this year in Olympics... first the fencing business and then this silly badminton business... I still cry for my home country T_T

I hope they will go to court for this. I don't think there is any rule saying you have to play to win. I can be unpleasant for the spectators, but disqualification is not a right call in this case. Participation is more important then winning, isn't that something 'olympic'?

This badminton case got even worse because the press here says that as soon as the regulations were changed to what is now, several trainers (?) spoke up and warned about possible exploits of this new system.

And, (like in computer security, or with environmental issues,) no-one believed them.

Back
Top Bottom