Space Hulk: Tactics - October 9th Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Space Hulk: Tactics will be released October 9th.

Space Hulk: Tactics gets a release date and a Gameplay Trailer!

Space Hulk: Tactics is a faithful adaptation of the board game Space Hulk, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, bringing unique twists to the cult classic formula. The game will release October 9 on PlayStation 4. To celebrate the news, we’re happy to unveil a new Gameplay Trailer pitting mankind versus alien in desperate, turn-based battle.

On the side of humanity stand the Space Marine Terminators, genetically modified super soldiers clad in heavy armour and equipped with extraordinary firepower that turns them into effective walking tanks. Opposing them are the Genestealers, insidious inhabitants of the floating amalgamations of smashed-together starships called space hulks, hiding inside every pipe and duct, prepared to rend anything that comes close to pieces with glistening claws.

An innovative new card system gives players greater control over their forces, while two non-linear, narrative-driven campaigns tell a new, terrifying story in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. A full customisation system is available across four Space Marine chapters and four Genestealer Hive Fleets, letting you design your force down to the last shoulder plate or weapon hilt. A robust mission editor, inspired by the clip-together nature of building scenarios in the board game, means you can design, share, and play your own maps quickly and easily.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

The trailer is perfect :)

It does exactly what a proper trailer should be doing.

Beyond that, though, I see no mention of cooperative gameplay - which a "faithful" adaption of Space Hulk would definitely require. Seems they understood everything about the boardgame except the single most important aspect of it, which is that it's a social experience to be shared with friends.

I don't like Warhammer 40k setting, too edgy.
More importantly, it's from the Perfide Albion and Englishmen loves it. It is my national duty to dislike it :devilish:

But they put tactics in the title so fuck France, I want to try the game…

Junkware for junkware with the most boring if not most irritating trailer I've ever seen.
Competitive multiplayer. For god's sakes. Why did I have to click, why.

Beyond that, though, I see no mention of cooperative gameplay - which a "faithful" adaption of Space Hulk would definitely require. Seems they understood everything about the boardgame except the single most important aspect of it, which is that it's a social experience to be shared with friends.

Did Space Hulk the board game contain a co-op mode? I only remember it having competitive play, but I haven't played it in a very long time.

As for people complaining that the adaption of a competitive multiplayer game has competitive multiplayer....I'm not sure what they were expecting exactly.

Wasn't there any earlier Space Hulk game 2 or 3 years ago... and it was awful, I think.

Anyway, I haven't played the board game but in terms of the video game, I'm dubious about how good a tactics game could be with level designs where everything seems to be a choke point (corridors and tiny spaces). Seems like any battles would be boring slogs - and not offer a ton a variation in tactics.

Did Space Hulk the board game contain a co-op mode? I only remember it having competitive play, but I haven't played it in a very long time.

As for people complaining that the adaption of a competitive multiplayer game has competitive multiplayer….I'm not sure what they were expecting exactly.

Well, I played it coop with several friends with one person playing the Genestealers :)

Not sure which version, though, as I recall we used some expanded rules and what not.

PS4 only? Not interested then. And although I love 40k Space Hulk is the most boring of the different boardgames with basically only Terminators and Genestealers. Give me a faithful adaption of the real Warhammer 40k instead and I'll buy ten copies.

Seems they understood everything about the boardgame except the single most important aspect of it, which is that it's a social experience to be shared with friends.
Board games are usually played with other people.
SH was essentially a 1v1 that builds up tension.
That was the most important aspect.
Doubtful this vid product managed to carry that part.

I had the original boardgame when I was a kid. It looked more fun than it actually was. As I recall it was pretty broken, so that, depending on the mission setup, it heavily favored one side or the other. They released several editions, I presume to give it better balance.

Seems anyone can make a Warhammer 40,000 Tactics game nowadays. The only problem with this is most turn out to be below average, and that's me being nice.

Relic Entertainment was the only devolper to make good strategy games with the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series, but ruined it with Dawn of War III.

Seems anyone can make a Warhammer 40,000 Tactics game nowadays. The only problem with this is most turn out to be below average, and that's me being nice.

Relic Entertainment was the only devolper to make good strategy games with the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series, but ruined it with Dawn of War III.

Agreed, Dawn of War 2 is the only one I've actually enjoyed out of all the offerings so far. On paper it's way to action-y for my taste but I found it extremely enjoyable.

A good number of Space Hulk missions involve multiple Terminator squads. That's where you can co-op. One player is the genestealers the others each take a space marine squad. You can break it down to a few marines each but that's pushing it a bit. It's not the best game ever made but it can be fun enough.

There's already been many SH games so I'm non-plussed and the last two from Full Control did a good job of recreating the boardgame - I still have the 1st edition box with Deathwing expansion, after many years packed away I recently started playing it with my boys.

The thing I did like was a mission editor, wonder if it'll let you create campaigns.

A good number means anything. The original SH came with six missions. SH missions can not be generically generated. They must come with an underlying guiding idea.
So their number relatively to a version is limited.

Second thing, sacrifying SMs is part of the tension build up.
It is no issue when one player manage them. It turns into issues with that idea of trusting one squad to different players as they might be pushed out of the game when their one squad is destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom