|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Battle Brothers - Introducing The Hexe

Default Battle Brothers - Introducing The Hexe

August 11th, 2018, 12:55
A new Battle Brothers development diary details a new opponent called 'The Hexe' for the upcoming 'Beasts & Exploration' DLC.

The upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC will add a variety of new beasts and related creatures to the world of Battle Brothers. We’re going to introduce new opponents to cover the early, mid and late game. Some of them will be pretty complex to fight, and others more straight-forward. Some will be magical creatures, and some plain beasts, but all of them will come with their own unique mechanics to challenge you.

To start things off, we’ll be taking a look at the Hexe today. It’s the first of two upcoming spellcaster type opponents we’re adding, and intended for spicing up the mid to late game. Let’s roll!

The Hexe

The Hexe is a witch inspired by Grimm’s fairy tales, a malevolent old crone living in swamps and forests outside of villages alone or in a coven with other Hexen. They’re human, but have long sacrificed their humanity for otherworldly powers. They’re feared, but also worshipped by some. They’re burned at the stake, and yet people seek them out to plead for miracles. They lure and abduct little children to make broth and concoctions out of, they strike terrible pacts with villagers to receive their firstborn, they weave curses and cast hexes. Their huts may or may not be made of candy. With her sorcery, a Hexe can enthrall wild beasts, and even warp the mind of humans, and so will often be found in the company of creatures that serve her.

The Hexe has two skills in combat. The first one is called ‘Charm’ and works like this: From her shriveled lips, the crone blows one of your men a seductive kiss to bewitch their mind. A strong-willed individual can resist with a successful resolve check, but otherwise they’re doomed to have their senses warped and to fall under the spell’s dominion for several turns until the effect wears off. To the ensorcelled, the Hexe no longer appears as an old crone, but a youthful lady with radiant beauty for which they will gladly obey every command. They’ll be eager to shield the witch from arrows with their bodies, and not think twice about hacking their comrades to pieces in order to protect their beloved. Should every last man on the battlefield be mind-controlled by a Hexe, the coven will have them all commit suicide in order to end the battle.

Even though the Hexe is old and fragile, has no melee attack, and in fact no Zone of Control, she isn’t quite defenseless. Her second skill is also a spell; it’s called ‘Hex’ and can be cast on one enemy at a time. Anyone that has a hex cast on them is cursed to feel the same pain and receive the same wounds as the Hexe does. It’s mutually assured destruction when the Hexe defends herself by giving you a choice: Attack her, and risk the health and potentially even life of one of your men, or let the hag live for another round, hoping that she doesn’t do too much damage in the meantime and that you can get her before she casts another hex. Or at least casts it on someone who can take a blow for the team.

Fighting a Hexe is different from fighting most other opponents in the game. For starters, the stronger you are, the stronger the Hexe gets, as you’ll spend a good time dealing with your own men turned hostile. Her two skills also make for a more puzzle-esque battle than usual, but the right approach can turn a seemingly impossible challenge into a manageable one. Maces and nets are useful for disabling your own men while they’re charmed, rushing or taunting the Hexe can be effective, and having solid resolve is always helpful. What tactics can you come up with to beat her?

Join us again next week for a look at a new beast that you’ll soon be able to meet on the field of battle – one that uses brute strength and not trickery of the mind.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 14:31
So the enemies have magic…when will the Brothers get some? (I'm pretty sure it's never.)

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 15:04
The Hexe could really hurt at higher lvl. Resolve is usually a dump stat and only high on your flag bearer and spearmen that protect your flanks. If she charms one of your 2 handed weapon masters watch out.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 15:18
Mind control is the worst thing that can happen to an orderly line of warriors. It's gonna be a nightmare, I can't wait!
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 18:05
At the beginning I mocked this game for being legless, then bought it and now have to say this is one of the best news in the tactical gaming genre today!

mercy

SasqWatch

August 11th, 2018, 18:07
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
So the enemies have magic…when will the Brothers get some? (I'm pretty sure it's never.)
Magic is slowly crawling in. There is the Witchhunter background!

mercy

SasqWatch

+1:

August 11th, 2018, 18:36
Uggghhh, lame magic threatens my lovely game. Le sigh. Maybe I won't be revisiting after all.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 19:42
I'm a bit worried about the introduction of magic, too.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 19:44
Stolen from DD.

Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
The Hexe could really hurt at higher lvl. Resolve is usually a dump stat and only high on your flag bearer and spearmen that protect your flanks. If she charms one of your 2 handed weapon masters watch out.
Streamers handle this kind of situations doubling on the sergeant. More hype than gameplay. In the end, it will be another enemy among other enemies.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 11th, 2018, 21:07
Hexe (German word) = Witch (English word)
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 12th, 2018, 03:36
I run into any of those nasty witches in my Battle Brothers 'verse, I'm gonna give them a few swimming lessons. With concrete shoes on.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 12th, 2018, 21:35
I don't think concrete shoes exist in Battle Brothers but perhaps i am mistaken ? At best you could show them the sharp end of your axe….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 00:27
Axes are a great idea. I can whack off a few feet and then see just how well they can swim!!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 13th, 2018, 01:43
I do wish they would add a real scenario (campaign) as the next dlc or perhaps battle brothers 2; I like the engine just don't like the lack of a concrete direction in the game.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

August 13th, 2018, 20:21
Originally Posted by you View Post
I don't think concrete shoes exist in Battle Brothers but perhaps i am mistaken ? At best you could show them the sharp end of your axe….
Concrete has been around since the Roman Empire, although the Romans were better known for death by crucifixion. It would be interesting if you had the option to crucify your enemies, thereby spreading a darker reputation.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 20:30
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Concrete has been around since the Roman Empire, although the Romans were better known for death by crucifixion. It would be interesting if you had the option to crucify your enemies, thereby spreading a darker reputation.
Nah there more known for killing, plundering, civilizing the world, and togas.

I'm forgetting many more as I watched a few videos on Roman inventions. Heck they even had early diving gear, but it was very deadly. Used in Naval warfare/Repairs.

It was also nothing like we use today either.
--
"Proud to Be a Small Minded Poorly Educated Republican. Trump 2020."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Trumpy Bear

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 20:50
It's ok, I prefer dismembering before tossing them in the nearest creek. And, of course, should they float, we all know what that means!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Battle Brothers - Introducing The Hexe