Time to do some retro gaming

Asbjoern

N'wah
http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1141&cc=EN

Those childhood memories. I'm replaying Commander Keen and still undecided if I want to go through level upon level of pure FPS in Doom, Quake etc.
I think I'll just leave those games to the memories.

And hopefully Valve will get the Steam Community update released on Monday.

Last edited:
Ah, the pleasures that await you!! :)

I'm replaying Might & Magic 6 - The Mandate of Heaven -> but this is off-topic here :)

No I don't, I played it via Dosbox last time with no problems at all.

Nice packs! The only titles on the list I don't have (and don't care to play) are Quake III Team Arena (played the demo, ho-hum) and the Doom 3 addon.
I just looked at my Hexen II addon Portal of Praevus; no Id logo on that one, just the Activion and Raven logos, so that might explain why its not on the list.

but this is off-topic here :)

No, that's okay. We might aswell turn the thread into a retro gaming thread, because it is questionable to how far an extent we can discuss id letting their games become available on Steam.

But it is interesting though, that Valve have incorporated DosBox into Steam, so that Commander Keen among others can be played. It works really well too.

Nice packs! The only titles on the list I don't have (and don't care to play) are Quake III Team Arena (played the demo, ho-hum) and the Doom 3 addon.
I just looked at my Hexen II addon Portal of Praevus; no Id logo on that one, just the Activion and Raven logos, so that might explain why its not on the list.

But yes, there are always some games that isn't released (or at least not immediately), which really annoys me, because I like the symmetry/harmony of mind. An example of this is the Hitman series. Hitman 1, 2 and 4 are available at Steam but not Hitman Contracts. And it is quite often that I'm irritated by this. Even though I aren't planning on playing any of the Hitmans.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory hasn't been released either (I know it's free/gratis), but it bugs me.

Well, so are the Counter-Strike series, the Day of Defeat series and Red Orchestra too. But I see your point, though in my mind it would suit Steam to have it released there.

But it is interesting though, that Valve have incorporated DosBox into Steam, so that Commander Keen among others can be played. It works really well too.
This Spring I replayed Keen 1 to 6 and Keen Dreams under WinXp, and these games just ran, no fiddling necessary. No DOSBox, either. I do not remember if they required VDMSound or if I played them on the soundcardless rig, though.

But yes, there are always some games that isn't released (or at least not immediately), which really annoys me, because I like the symmetry/harmony of mind. An example of this is the Hitman series. Hitman 1, 2 and 4 are available at Steam but not Hitman Contracts. And it is quite often that I'm irritated by this. Even though I aren't planning on playing any of the Hitmans.

Hitman Contracts is on Gametap. I think they have the entire series. And they also have a ton of old school games with the emulation built in so you can play them.
Not to sound like some viral marketer (I only have their free subscription) but I just thought I'd mention it as relevant to this thread.

...but slightly incomplete without Portal of Praevus. The Tibetan backdrop and succubus player character were nice additions to Hexen 2.
The Towers of Darkness collection I bought years ago cost me ~6€, it contained everything but Hexen 2. Too bad I already had both Heretic 1 *and* Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Rider. And Hexen. But the Hexen 1 addon was still worth the 6 € :).

And now that I think of it, Heretic 2 isn't part of the Steam package, either.

Speaking of retro, I'm about to dive into System Shock.
Ah, SS1. I believe it's my most replayed PC-era game. Enjoy! I'm one of those few who greatly preferred SS1 over SS2, although the latter is still a great game.

I just enjoyed a little retro gaming pleasure myself playing through Superhero League of Hoboken. The new scalars in DOSBox >= 0.70 are even better than those they had before. 320x200 scaled up to 1600w looked pretty good with the new "High-Quality 3x Magnification" scalar (at least I think it's new, if not I was missing out by using "Advanced MAME 3x" which is good but not as good, IMO).

Hitman Contracts is on Gametap. I think they have the entire series. And they also have a ton of old school games with the emulation built in so you can play them.
Not to sound like some viral marketer (I only have their free subscription) but I just thought I'd mention it as relevant to this thread.

Thanks for the advice. But last time I checked the website you had to live in North America to use GameTap. Did I get this right?

Perhaps GameTap got a deal with Eidos so that Contracts became GameTap exclusive for a period of time.

We have a gaming magazine called "Retro" here. Is it only a local magazine or does it appear in other countries as well ?

By the way, you can still order Commander Keen and other Apogee titles from 3DRealms ... You don't need steam for that.

Thanks for the advice. But last time I checked the website you had to live in North America to use GameTap. Did I get this right?

Perhaps GameTap got a deal with Eidos so that Contracts became GameTap exclusive for a period of time.

You might be right on both counts. I know some Gametap stuff is USA-only so even in Canada I'd not be able to get everything which is why I haven't signed up for their Gold package subscription.

Have you tried buying them though, Jaz? Pardon my French but I'm sooo fucking angry about this shit. They really need to implement an adult verification system in Steam or do something else... anything... to allow us ADULTS to buy games that have been put on the index here in Germany. That IP detection crap and "haha, you German sucker... fuck off and suck some Kraut" is bullshit. It really sucks that you have to pay VERY close attention to what you're buying on Steam. As a German gamer you constantly need to be on the look-out so you don't end up with a cut or censored "special" German version of a game.

Doesn't that go both ways though? Why do the German Gothic games have titties everywhere while the US versions have bikinis?

Back
Top Bottom