The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

But then there is this:
Don't Die Ding - A Holiday Spectacular

Ergo, ideas need friends... :)

But...

at birth, at the time an idea's merely an *untested notion* and, I quote, *you don't know what is what, who is who, why is why, where is where, and when is when*: how does one distinguish one from the other? :
Good idea - bad idea

Trouble usually is: not all, that sounds great, means yes, yes, yes...
La Poupee Qui Fait Non
But you knew this one, didn't you? :)

Last edited:
What would be Christmas without a healthy dose of some good old progressive pagan acid folk...

First Utterance (1971) by Comus rather rules in this niche:

Diana

The Bite

Song to Comus

Jethros don´t stand a chance :).

Last edited:
Peaceful end of the year to y´all!

200505023b.jpg

There has been loads of Christmas music recently ... through the 'holiday music' channel on cable, and much of it falling into a few categories:
- 'Classics' - Bing, Sinatra, and so on.
- 'Anyone Can Make a Christmas Album' - there is an amazing amount of CRAP out there.
- 'Duets with Dead People' - so they dug up Elvis to make a new record ... and Natalie Cole apparently needed to feed her habit again ...

I happened across the 'TV Guide' channel and stopped because it was Harry Connick, talking about hit new Christmas CD, and was followed by three others, all talking about their 'fresh takes on Classics and some great new songs'. I have been listening and it typically means 'tired dreck and useless new crap'.

Oh, and Harry, your new CD sucks, and wasn't worth the $2 on Amazon special ...

Death Cab for Cutie's "narrow stairs"

Got it for my girl for xmas, and we both ended up getting into it over the last weekend. For a modern indie-rock type outfit, they are a little more into the actual music instead of the usual "music as filler" and intro/outro for the vocals.

Vocals really arent anything to write home about, but then again, I dont think think theyre supposed to be. Really good singing wouldnt mix well w/ this, he needs to sound a bit weird instead.

Weird. That's a good way to describe this cd

Last edited:
Howard Jones kicked out a tune on his fan site that's pretty appopriate. I don't think you can stream it, but the zip DL'd quickly, and I haven't noticed any locusts climbing out of my rig so far.

New Years Song by Howard Jones
(the link to the zip in half way down his message)

The opening song on the long awaited new Sirenia album.
Excellent stuff, the new vocalist has a silly accent and a somewhat whiny
voice but still I find it quite pleasant for some reason. Excellent -
beautifull, dark, melodic somewhat gothy stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o9CJM3Kn4

Nice coverart as well
13th_Floor_front_small.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad, Zakhary. I agree about the vocals, though. Her voice does fine in the chorus where she gets help via multitracking, but she lacks "power" to carry the verses.

New tune from a good indie band that's still plugging. This one is a little more complex than I usually enjoy (I still haven't nailed down the meter in the beginning), which might make it more interesting to some of y'all. Pretty electronica might be the best pigeonhole I can make up for it.
"Again" by the FLIR
(I think all 6 tracks on their player are worth a listen. I even like "Phere" although I get the urge to pop Louise in the head so she'll stop going "on and on")

99 masterpieces and it's not definitive? O_O

WOW, Arhu. That's a young lady with serious talent. Most excellent.

Need a little help, folks. I'd very much like to share a clip of a tune I DL'd by mistake back when Napster was young and nearly legal. What a cherry I stumbled on. Apparently, this track is strictly a Japanese 7" single that also got tacked on the Japanese version of their hits collection. Perhaps that will be the direction to look, but a year's worth of Japanese in college quickly faded to a grand total of about 2 dozen words that won't do me much good. I don't need the file (it's on a couple torrents)--I just want a stream/sample to share with the world.
"I Can Feel" by Strawberry Switchblade
Many thanks if anyone knows of a source. 2 hours of digging gained me nothing.

"I Can Feel" by Strawberry Switchblade
Many thanks if anyone knows of a source. 2 hours of digging gained me nothing.
LINK

30 seconds Windows Media Player sample, found on mysound.jp. So yeah, you were right with looking on Japanese sites, dunno if there are longer streams somewhere...

At an album a year, I have to admit I burned out on Autumn's Grey Solace a while back. I wasn't thrilled with the direction they were pushing their sound anyway. They just popped up a single from an upcoming cd (wouldn't want to break their streak, I guess) and it's very good. Erin is singing again instead of all that vocal sliding nonsense that she was doing more and more the last 2 releases.

"Half Underground" by Autumn's Grey Solace
EDIT- wow, one day and gone. They didn't leave that track up for long!

@Arhu: Holy crap, there's two versions of the song... I wonder which one is which. The MP3 I've got is a LOT more lush than that sample (I don't just mean quality, the whole mix is different). Your clip, based on the link, was part of the "tack-on" to the Japanese release of their first album. Perhaps I've got the true single edition. Oh well, I do appreciate the effort.

Last edited:
I HAVE A THEME SONG!!!

It's even straight-forward rock-n-roll--could easily be a Toby Keith tune. Make sure the kiddies are out of the room before listening, but actually listen to the lyrics. Testify, brother!

"I Hate My Life" by Theory of a Dead Man

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom