The Steam Awards 2018 Nominees

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam announced the end of the year nominees for Steam Awards 2018.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2796070940830340422

Nominees for Game of the Year

• PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  • MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • HITMAN™ 2
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Nominees for VR Game of the Year

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
  • VRChat
  • Beat Saber
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • SUPERHOT VR

Nominees for Labor of Love

• Dota 2
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • No Man's Sky
  • Path of Exile
  • Stardew Valley

Nominees for Best Environment

• The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt
  • Subnautica
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Far Cry 5
  • DARK SOULS™ III

Nominees for Better with Friends

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege
  • PAYDAY 2
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Overcooked! 2

Nominees for Best Alternate History

• Wolfeinstein II: The New Colossus
  • Assassin's Creed® Odyssey
  • Hearts of Iron IV
  • Sid Meier's Civilization® VI
  • Fallout 4

Nominees for Most Fun with a Machine

• Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Rocket League
  • NieR:Automata
  • Factorio
  • Space Engineers

Nominees for Best Developer

• CD PROJEKT RED
  • Ubisoft
  • Bethesda
  • Rockstar Games
  • Digital Extremes Ltd.
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Paradox Interactive
  • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
  • Klei
You know very well that nearly no worthwhile games will ever be on these lists. They're the mainstream popularity soylent awards. There were good games on PC this year, of course, but for the most part you'll never see them on these lists.

Witcher 3 is on the list for "best environment". Whatever that means.

I hope CD Projekt gets some recognition as best developer.

It's only about popular games available on Steam.
Which means, no LOL and no Maple Story.

I've seen that list, and frankly, it shows and tells a *lot* about what steam really is ( read : focuses on) and its audience.

Looking at this list, it is really no wonder for me anymore that adventurte games were literally unwanted by steam in the first place ( someone from I think it was Daedalic told me that they had to team up / partner with with a bigger German publisher to get any Adventure games into steam at all ! ).

This is the age of action games.

Errr, wasn't Fallout four released in like twenty-fifteen or sixteen? Like, certainly not this year, lol. Out of all those games they've listed, I've only played two of them, with another two that I'm slightly interested in, maybe, at some point, or perhaps not.

Errr, wasn't Fallout four released in like twenty-fifteen or sixteen?
This isn't a magazine - Steam doesn't limit it to games published this year (or published since Thanksgiving, 2017). They could have easily done so because they've got the publish date right on the store page.

Anyway: Kingdom Come: Deliverance for GotY. Subnautica for best environment was the only one I voted for that got to the actual run-off.

Alrik, yeah, adventure games aren't very popular now. They haven't been for a very, very long time. However, I wouldn't count on this representing Steam as a whole. I expect there's a lot of peo... <ahem> accounts that never even look at the storefront page. Steam is just a bump on the road to playing DotA2, CounterStrike, or whatever.

Alrik, yeah, adventure games aren't very popular now. They haven't been for a very, very long time. However, I wouldn't count on this representing Steam as a whole. I expect there's a lot of peo… <ahem> accounts that never even look at the storefront page. Steam is just a bump on the road to playing DotA2, CounterStrike, or whatever.

Yes, like, the list shows who's attracted by steam, so to say.

But still, almost every game these days needs steam just to be activated, because steam is their new DRM.
This means that lots of people might never use steam apart from merely activating their game there.

However, I often wonder about steam itself. I mean, who allows such a game to be published : https://store.steampowered.com/app/240720/Getting_Over_It_with_Bennett_Foddy/
And that with this premise :
A game I made
For a certain kind of person

To hurt them.
To me, this game looks as if the person developing it was a real hater of wheelchair users.

To me, this game looks as if the person developing it was a real hater of wheelchair users.
Uhhh, no. Wheelchair users rarely try to climb mountains with a sledge hammer while stuffed into a couldron. Here's the PC Gamer article on it: https://www.pcgamer.com/getting-over-it-is-a-hellacious-new-game-from-the-maker-of-qwop/

In fact, isn't this exactly what you have been after? NO battles at all! The only real obstacle is your own frustration! Can you get over it?

(Me personally, I quickly set the game on Ignore.)

Yes, but the person is immobile with his lower part of the body, that was my point.
As wheelchair users often are as well.

No surprise Monster Hunter: World and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey are there.
But there are no smaller and not so famous games, which deserve to be. Aren't they asking usual players? Who makes the list?

Who makes the list?
We do. Steam makes the categories and provides a tiny bit of encouragement to get people to vote but it's players that do the voting. Top 5 (?) (10 for Publishers?) vote getters then run against each other.

A million flies cannot lie, as the saying goes, or, as another saying goes : With the increasing amount of people, the mass intelligence decreases [grammar ?].

@Alrik Fassbauer;
Exactly, it's called Swarm Stupidity. ;)

(Although, I always find the the "million flies" analogy a flawed one. The difference has everything to do with perspective, and nothing with numbers.)

Back
Top Bottom