What games are you playing now? - Page 645 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

June 21st, 2020, 17:12
I'm playing the same games I always play: Morrowind and Mount & Blade only now I've switched from Warband to Bannerlord.

fragonard

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 21st, 2020, 23:42
An Elder Scrolls game? Wow, that IS retro. I hear they're going to try and bring that franchise back from the dead sometime in the next few years. Dunno if it'll be any good though, all the original people involved have probably moved on.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2020, 03:28
I don't consider Morrowind to be an Elderscrolls game in the normal commercial sense. I have no interest in the output of modern Bethsoft. Morrowind is an exquisite slice of time that's no longer represented by the company. (sadly)

fragonard

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2020, 06:26
Re-playing and trying to finish Divinity Original Sin 2 and some Stellaris on the side.
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2020, 12:14
Bought, played and finished The Last of Us Pt2 in the weekend.

Surprisingly, this game is/was somewhat of a letdown for me, compared to the first one.

Not because of the current Metacritic outcry crap --
I think my issues are more esoteric than this: it feels too similar to the first one, and I don't feel comfortable playing the same game over and over again with minor tweaks, better graphics and a new story.

It might work for the Call of Duty crowd out there (=safe sequels with minor change in the formula), but I'm more with the Zelda BotW crowd (=risky sequels with major change in the formula).

TLoU2 is excellent - but also feels very tired at the same time.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2020, 12:40
Originally Posted by fragonard View Post
I don't consider Morrowind to be an Elderscrolls game in the normal commercial sense. I have no interest in the output of modern Bethsoft. Morrowind is an exquisite slice of time that's no longer represented by the company. (sadly)
What about the possibility of making them turn-based? I hear the turn-based lobby might just get their way for the next one, that might change your mind.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2020, 14:36
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
What about the possibility of making them turn-based? I hear the turn-based lobby might just get their way for the next one, that might change your mind.
Actually, that might. However, I'll believe that when I see it. Count me as a doubter there.

fragonard

Sentinel

June 22nd, 2020, 19:06
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
If the next Elder Scroll games goes turn-based I'll eat crow. Seriously I can't imagine playing that series in any form of turn-based combat. Basically does not compute.
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

June 22nd, 2020, 19:19
Currently playing Thief 4.

This time around, I avoided the mistake of playing it in immediate context of the earlier Thief games. I also hope to avoid major bugs, and actually enjoy it for what it is, despite obvious shortcomings.

Let's see how this goes.

Cacheperl

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2020, 22:45
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
If the next Elder Scroll games goes turn-based I'll eat crow. Seriously I can't imagine playing that series in any form of turn-based combat. Basically does not compute.
I am 99.9% sure Lackblogger is just messing with Fragonard with these Elder Scrolls posts.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 02:21
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I am 99.9% sure Lackblogger is just messing with Fragonard with these Elder Scrolls posts.
But that 0.1%… You heard the latest Yakuza game is turn based?

I started playing Eastshade. Not so great animations. Not terribly impressive voice acting/writing. Weak, little fetch quests. But you make money by making "paintings" (pretty much screenshots) of the surrounding landscape!

It looks to be completely non-violent. I wonder if @Alrik Fassbauer has heard of the game?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 03:02
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Correction its an action based/turn-based hybrid.

loading…

Believe the term is ATB?
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

+1:

June 23rd, 2020, 05:56
Haha, yup. That was very much on my mind when reading those posts.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

June 23rd, 2020, 09:24
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I could totally endorse a VATS-like pseudo-turnbased system for TES6.

It worked well for FO3, so I think the system is legit: be tactical with VATS against high-level enemies and go realtime against trashmobs.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

June 23rd, 2020, 09:30
Have some downtime, so after TLoU2's emotional ride, I replay another great rollercoaster: Mother3 (Gameboy Advance, with unofficial English translation)

Don't let the simple graphics and kiddie feeling fool you: you will cry at the end -- a proof that emotions are not about next-gen graphics and enormous budget, but about a great script.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

June 23rd, 2020, 23:02
Ok, seems I'm really slow, but I am finally passed a significant point in The Last of Us Part 2. From what I hear this is the middle point, which sounds surprising if true. But it finally puts the premise truly into perspective, and I think I like what they're doing.

Man, it really sucks that the leaks spoiled all of this. It could have been even better I think. At least in my opinion. Seems this is one divisive game. But I do wonder how many of the ones that are vocal about it have also played it, and aren't just mad off of the leaks which absolutely give no context.

Regardless, what's done is done. No use crying over spilled milk.
Anyways, so far I really like the game. It's fantastic overall, and the only point of contention is the story. Which I can see others not liking. I was also not onboard at the start. But thinking about it, and trying to detach from the attachment you feel towards a character will help you see things more objectively.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2020, 23:58
Eastshade is getting really weak. Why didn't the store page say this was for little kids!? Seriously, absolutely everything you will ever do is totally wonderful and isn't that just the most beautiful painting ever? You can be my best friend now!

It really is a pretty game and the screenshots are building up fast but jeez… I need to keep a bottle of Tums by my computer if I'm going to get through this one.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

June 24th, 2020, 16:29
Eastshade is getting really weak. Why didn't the store page say this was for little kids!? Seriously, absolutely everything you will ever do is totally wonderful and isn't that just the most beautiful painting ever? You can be my best friend now!

It really is a pretty game and the screenshots are building up fast but jeez… I need to keep a bottle of Tums by my computer if I'm going to get through this one.
If that’s the case be sure to recommend it to Alrik looks like it would be right up his alley.

sakichop

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 27th, 2020, 16:49
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
If that’s the case be sure to recommend it to Alrik looks like it would be right up his alley.
I did - but regret it now. It's far, far too childish. What really confuses me is that nobody in the reviews seems to be saying anything about it. It's "relaxing" - well, yeah, you certainly aren't going to get stressed trying to solve a puzzle with just 12 pieces, either. Though I certainly get stressed if I solve that puzzle then have somebody tell me how great I am for being able to do it.

One thing is for sure - that game is gorgeous! And it does it without using super high-tech graphics, too. It's a good reminder that graphics features can only magnify the graphic artists' talents.

Anyway, I switched over to Outer Wilds now. WAY more fun and also (at least so far) not violent at all. I'm worried about only being able to save once every half hour but, the way this game is set up, that might not actually be so bad.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

June 28th, 2020, 23:02
I picked up Hades and the second South Park game in the Steam sale.

Hades has a very satisfying gameplay loop. So far, I've had a fairly steady sense of progression, even though I haven't yet beaten the second area boss in ~30 runs. It has the trademark Supergiant music and visual style, and I like the story bits more than those in previous Supergiant games (basically, you unlock conversations with the various denizens of Hell as you go along)

I haven't played much of South Park yet, but it seems fun. If you think (or thought, in my case) the show is funny, you'll think the game is funny.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?