The TV Series discussion thread - Page 262 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

July 21st, 2020, 22:38
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
a pibbur who thinks a world where everybody only liked what he liked would be a terrible place.
Haha - so very true. Different tastes lead to more variety. We watched one episode of Devs … son was enthusiastic, wife had no interest, I was in between. So we never watched another. Oh well.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2020, 00:28
After 8 episodes I certainly got "weird and wild", although I can understand your view. Fair enough, I guess this series wasn't for you…
The plan is to go back and at least finish season 1. But I tend to watch one TV series at a time and I was getting through maybe one episode every couple days. I have a lot of time to kill these days, so I needed something that clicked with me.

a pibbur who thinks a world where everybody only liked what he liked would be a terrible place.
Agreed. I like the connection that comes with shared interest in a show/band/game/whatever but that's only meaningful if it's not always the case. Variety is, for me, truly the spice of life. At least when it comes to the media I consume (not so much in my day to day habits)

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2020, 01:04
Halfway through the final season of Mr. Robot. Very nice. Also what a weird send-off for Tyrell.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2020, 17:08
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Tapped out on Dark for a while. Eight episodes and it's still just time travel paradoxes, '80s soundtracks while someone marvels at the fashion, and lots of sad interpersonal drama stuff. I was promised wild and weird and I haven't gotten it.
Ok, I take the fault here since I advised you to watch the entire 1st Season of Dark.
In fact, as I told you here before, the series goes way beyond "the missing children". They are pivotal to the series (especially Mikkels/Michael) since they put the plot to work. But, of course, the whole series is still about time-traveling so this "feature" can't/won't be left behind.

Yes, you still have to take note of a large number of characters, who's who across the time, and their relationships and this can be not a pain in the ass, but a headache, instead I sometimes had to pause it and talk to my wife about the last time a certain character was seen, what he/she was doing. I think it's a great story and I liked the way it ended. I would rate it 9 out of 10. I can't give a full 10 because I didn't like the way a certain crucial passage was told (in 3rd Season), but to avoid further spoilers I won't say now what it was.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; July 22nd, 2020 at 18:15.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2020, 17:54
Dark is easily one of the best shows I've seen in recent years and in the top 5 for Netflix exclusives imo. It does have a very distinct vibe though, and I could see how it might not gel with everyone.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2020, 18:35
Personally, I found Dark rather dull. Once you get past the novelty of time paradoxes and remembering who is related to whom, the show just feels like it's treading water and going nowhere. I watched seasons 1 & 2 and I will eventually watch the final third but mostly out of idle curiosity to see how it all wraps up.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

July 22nd, 2020, 19:13
Just finished Mr. Robot. What a mind-fuck! Loved it! Did not expect it to end like that. Highly recommended!

Also, it seems it was all very meticulosly planned out, and not improvised. Given what you find out in the end, it gives new meaning to loads of stuff happening throughout the season. Great stuff!
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; July 22nd, 2020 at 20:03.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

July 22nd, 2020, 19:40
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Personally, I found Dark rather dull. Once you get past the novelty of time paradoxes and remembering who is related to whom, the show just feels like it's treading water and going nowhere. I watched seasons 1 & 2 and I will eventually watch the final third but mostly out of idle curiosity to see how it all wraps up.
And in its dullness it is still damn good.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 23rd, 2020, 00:23
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Yeah. Time paradoxes, in and of themselves, don't interest me much. I needed more. At the point I stopped there were some unanswered questions, but they had been unanswered for 6-8 hours already and it didn't feel like it was going anywhere. The acting is good, the moment to moment writing, the visuals, the use of music. It's a well made show. But I need more than "oh shit, he just met his 10 year old dad" to stay engaged.

I did feel like I was mostly keeping up with who was who. I do admit to checking the Wiki at the beginning of a few scenes to remind myself.

I finished Devs yesterday. I very much enjoyed it, though the last episode was kinda lackluster imo. I read a lot that the show is very slow, but I didn't think so until that last episode.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

July 23rd, 2020, 19:20
Mister Robot was fairly good, I thought it a bit weak in the end but still worth watching.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

July 23rd, 2020, 19:45
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Mister Robot was fairly good, I thought it a bit weak in the end but still worth watching.
Weak? Weird. I loved it. Did not expect it at all.
And it gives sufficient new dimension to most scenes that I plan on going back and rewatching it some times in the future.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

July 25th, 2020, 08:07
I finished watching Netflix's Reckoning, another police drama with serial killer and boring teenagers. Also starring a lot of unnecessary, unresolved plots. I *could* rate it an average score if…

Spoiler – For the last episode. Open at your own peril
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 29th, 2020, 03:00
In addition to Season 2, The Witcher is getting a prequel series on Netflix.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/enter…rnd/index.html

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

July 29th, 2020, 03:22
Started Doom Patrol season 2. Season one was one of the most enjoyable superhero related shows I've seen, and season 2 has that same energy so far.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

July 29th, 2020, 11:35
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
I finished watching Netflix's Reckoning, another police drama with serial killer and boring teenagers. Also starring a lot of unnecessary, unresolved plots. I *could* rate it an average score if…

Spoiler – For the last episode. Open at your own peril
Ouch! That's almost as bad as…
Spoiler

a pibbur who wonders if there are watchers who (unlike him) don't read the spoilers.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

July 29th, 2020, 11:44
So I liked Dark very much. Now, what? (=recommendations, please)

FYI: I prefer sci-fi and horror, not so much fantasy, and I'm not too happy with social drama (which there certainly was a lot of in Dark, but that one had soooo much else that was good, so I was able to ignore it).

a pibbur who obviously especially wants to know what the 13th JDR thinks.

PS. I'm currently watching "Travellers" (3 episodes so far), it's OK, but not exceptionally so. DS.
--
Last edited by a pibbur; July 29th, 2020 at 12:17.

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

July 29th, 2020, 13:13
a pibbur who wonders if there are watchers who (unlike him) don't read the spoilers.
I never read them if it's for something I haven't seen yet. I will avert my eyes if I start to read something that looks like it might be heading into spoiler territory too.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

July 29th, 2020, 13:35
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
I never read them if it's for something I haven't seen yet. I will avert my eyes if I start to read something that looks like it might be heading into spoiler territory too.
I hate you!!

a pibbur who actually (but unwillingly) admires people who (unlike himself) are disciplined (not meaning punished).
--

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

July 30th, 2020, 00:29
Pibs, you might enjoy Vagrant Queen especially if you liked Guardians of the Galaxy. I could also suggest Wynonna Earp which currently has just begun season 4; it has more horror elements. Others have previously mentioned The Orville (sp?) which is fun!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

July 30th, 2020, 02:56
I just watched the 1st Season of American Horror Story (yeah I know, I'm 9 years late). Overall I thought it was a good show, I only think the Season Finale is a bit of stretch.
Instead, I would prefer the series to have only 11 episodes, with the 11th perhaps having an extra 10-15 minutes telling, in short, the same finale that was told in the 12th. Even so, I'd rate the 1st Season a good 8.5 out of 10.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread