Darklands - Still influential

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Shaneplays discusses Darklands and talks about the influence it still has on CRPGs.

Darklands! The cult classic open-world Middle Ages RPG from 1992 that lets you adventure in the Holy Roman Empire during the 15th century... or rather, 15th Century Europe as people believed it to be at the time! Darklands broke a lot of CRPG ground, still has fans, and influenced games like Baldur's Gate and the Elder Scrolls. Fellow fans Matt Wirkkala and Keith Hiorns join.
More information.

Such a great game! I've rediscovered its joys while researching for this episode.

Thanks for posting Silver

Darklands is one of my all-time favorites. I was always disappointed by my inability to trigger some of the events, though, events I knew existed because at some point I used a text editor to look. Bunch of stuff based around cities never happened for me.

They have fan created editors and helper apps out now that might help you if you wanted to dig back in

Amazing game! After massacring witch sabbats and some bigger enemies, I managed to kill a dragon, IIRC and the game lost its appeal after that. Same happened in D.W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors. After I killed the mighty giant dragon - by hiding behind a rock wall, which stopped all the dragon's super lethal breath attacks and I just had to jump out and shoot it, then back to cover, that took a looOooooong time... , the game just lost its appeal. :D

I feel like I recently posted something on this game, that or I'm losing what few marbles I've left! In any case, tis a great game and still well worth playing!!

I feel like I recently posted something on this game, that or I'm losing what few marbles I've left! In any case, tis a great game and still well worth playing!!

Haha, don't worry, your marbles are intact. You definitely did post something. It was right before mine.

In case you understand German: There is a youtubechannel which does next to let's plays also reviews or conclusion to the videos. They are called "Pretty old Pixel" and they are looking at super old titles. Darklands was one of them.
So in case you are interested in an audio review in German, I can recommend this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMY4nkl2XGY

Back
Top Bottom