Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

Default Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

September 21st, 2020, 16:26
According to Jason Schreier Microsoft is planning to buy Zenimax/Behesda for $7.5 billion.

Thanks Pongo!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 16:30
- Bethesda and Obsidian are now sister studios. Fallout New Vegas 2 is now actually a possibility
Interesting.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 16:32
Okay, who has 'Microsoft buys Bethesda' on their 2020 Apocalypse Bingo card?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 16:32
Microsoft buys one AAA RPG Studio after another.

Maybe I switch even more to indie games…

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 21st, 2020, 16:38
Well my mind was blown this morning…

As you all know I game on anything…xbox, ps, pc….I love bethesda games even with the bugs some of the best games of last 20 years. I did not expect this. At all.

I have a ps5 preordered….now for sure I am getting an X…

Some may ask why when I have a gaming PC? I just like sitting on my couch for games

This is an absolute huge win for MS and gamepass got a whole lot better. I don't care how much MS paid for them, I just care I have access to it all now. BTW, first party games never get removed from gamepass.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

September 21st, 2020, 16:43
As long as I can play their games on PC I'm fine.

I'm not touching an XBox even if it's gifted.

Nereida

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 16:51
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
As long as I can play their games on PC I'm fine.

I'm not touching an XBox even if it's gifted.
Like why? It's a machine that plays games on your TV….not coronavirus.

Silly stuff by you as usual.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 21st, 2020, 16:53
Wow, I guess this could be good news for Bethesda, because if nothing else, they and their reputation couldn't go much lower, at this point. Maybe this will lead to positive changes.

I wonder if they will keep all the top execs there, and not much changes, or if new people will take over.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 21st, 2020, 17:04
Corporate consolidation FTW. Microsoft buys Zenimax/Beth/Id, nVidia buy ARM. etc etc
In 20 years we'll be buying everything from 2-3 corporations that slice the world in a way tha they don't step on each other's toes. And people are actually applauding this. Weird. It's like they don't see where this is headed.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:06
Hines - But the key point is we’re still Bethesda. We’re still working on the same games we were yesterday, made by the same studios we’ve worked with for years, and those games will be published by us.

Howard - Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone – regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.

And if you are a PC user and want to get depressed
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwK…n-joining-xbox
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:08
I think there's a positive side to this, which is that Microsoft's main interest is in drawing people to their platforms, and keeping them. That creates a bit more of an incentive to just create really top-drawer games, to compete with Sony. Maybe it could actually rescue Bethesda's games from going down the Fallout 76 games-as-a-cash-cow route.

I believe MS has also said that they regard Xbox as something that exists on PC, too, and all of the announced new Xbox games seem to be for Xbox and Windows.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:14
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Corporate consolidation FTW. Microsoft buys Zenimax/Beth/Id, nVidia buy ARM. etc etc
In 20 years we'll be buying everything from 2-3 corporations that slice the world in a way tha they don't step on each other's toes. And people are actually applauding this. Weird. It's like they don't see where this is headed.
shhhh….
Nobody cares as long as they get their shinies and happynesses. Every so often you create a new name, slam a corp structure on it and pretend its different.
Its worked for "Bioware" for 10+ years in the gaming industry.

Most major industries already have a few global players with different tradenames per country.
Transport logistics (especially shipping!), food processing, softdrinks, hygiene, pharmaceuticals, textiles, key goods manufacturing…
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

September 21st, 2020, 17:18
I'm all up for discussing corporate scumbaggery. I'm just suggesting this particular avenue of evil might actually result in TES VI not sucking.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:32
Well I'm not all up for anything without details.
For example:

Does this acquisition mean the next Wasteland won't only be mmo again, but will use Gamebryo and renamed into Wasteland 76?

Will a new studio be formed out of everyone who ever worked on any fallout title, a studio that'd make FO5, since M$ now owns all three such companies?

Was this the actual reason Arkane lost critical staff as they knew for sure something is cooking?

Will Starfield be a Microsoft Store exclusive?

etc etc
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:36
Todd Howard On Joining Xbox

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 21st, 2020, 17:36
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Right. There's nothing individually about this that bothers me. Microsoft is as good and hands-off an overlord as any, and Zenimax has already headed down a path of mobile bullshit and live service that I don't like. This may even change things for the better so far as BGS games go. But if you zoom out a bit, it's yet another giant media company absorbing more giant media companies, and I don't think there's anything good about this kind of consolidation.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:38
Just realized: Avowed and Elder Scrolls are now under the same corporate umbrella. Changes the context when the usurper and the king have the same dad.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:46
Well this is the worst news of 2020 so far. This just sucks, even more than consoles.

Usually large corporations who buy out like this wring the new purchase dry leaving nothing left of what it once was. Maybe MS will be better than this but I can't think of any games I have even played from MS let alone ones I might like.

I can see them integrating it all into their store and app system and making things more restrictive.

Course I don't know - maybe some good will come from it but I see very little good ever coming from any mega corporation these days.

Then again a lot is driven by the players and this generation of gamers clearly want something different and are also more console focused. And companies prefer that (consoles over PC).

Ugg crappy Monday.

EDIT: Apparently people didn't understand I wasn't serious about this being the worst thing of 2020 so adding a disclaimer - I wasn't being serious.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Last edited by wolfgrimdark; September 21st, 2020 at 23:26. Reason: Added EDIT test

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

September 21st, 2020, 17:48
I work for a very big company myself. And one thing is sure:
If a company becomes bigger then their flexibility and adaptability decreases. Like a big tanker in a rough sea.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 21st, 2020, 17:51
I can understand when people are concerned about Microsoft buying Obsidian and InXile, as this probably will change the type of games these studios make.

But, Bethesda. Come on, people. This is the company whose last releases include Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter, and ESO.

And I'm someone who likes their single player games.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda