Baldur's Gate 3 - Release Time Unlock - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Release Time Unlock

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Release Time Unlock

October 6th, 2020, 20:01
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Plenty of impressions have been shared already on various news-bits.
True, but I've known r74 for over a decade and know his tastes. I get a better idea reading a post from Joxer, JDR, Dart, Rune, Corwin, etc. than I do from random internet site I never read by random dude seeking clicks. There's a difference.

P.S. I know you were absolutely kidding!
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut
crpgnut is online now

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#41

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 8,187
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2020, 20:04
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
P.S. I know you were absolutely kidding!
I was half kidding as I shared my opinion and a few other watchers have also on news-bits. The problem is the posts are spread out and not in one thread to easily read.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#42

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,319
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2020, 20:07
Some more news.

First 23 Minutes of Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access

loading…

IGN
Having played through the first several hours of Baldur’s Gate 3’s Early Access version (which developer Larian says contains roughly 20 hours of content that should be played multiple times to fully appreciate), I can tell you already that this is probably the closest a single-player video game has come to emulating the experience of playing Dungeons & Dragons in a live group. The verbs I can call on at any given time – jump, climb, lift, throw, and so on – allow me to do exactly the kind of clever but ridiculous things I would ask a human Dungeon Master if I can do. It harkens back to ‘90s adventure games in that regard as well, which is awesome. Rather than the simple “no” you would get from most RPGs when you ask if you can skip a combat encounter by blasting your way through a residence to create a side path, Baldur’s Gate 3 will tell you to roll for it.
Gamesradar
Today’s public build is already improved on the one I played yesterday, and Larian has been upfront about the number of bugs players can expect to face in Early Access. But it’s worth emphasising: though Baldur’s Gate 3 might already have as much dialogue and as many distractions as a finished game, it certainly isn’t one.

There will be some for whom the idea of an Early Access RPG feels intrinsically wrong - like racing the Nürburgring while it’s still being paved, or reading a series of epic fantasy novels before knowing whether the author will live to write the last one. There’s no arguing with the fact that, by playing Baldur’s Gate 3 now, you’re embarking on a journey you can’t yet finish.

Yet there’s something positive in that: the limited scope is an invitation to play - really play, to muck about and test the possibilities - rather than simply push to complete yet another RPG. This one’s worth hanging around in.
PCGamer
With its turn-based battles, different art style and focus on systemic shenanigans, Baldur's Gate 3 isn't an attempt to resurrect an old series. It's something new that pushes the systems and creative mayhem from Original Sin and combines them with the rules D&D. And they're perfect together. It's very promising and seems to be heading in the right direction, but should you buy in now? There's a good 25-30 hours of adventuring to be had, full of memorable fights and characters, but you won't be seeing the game at its best. It's already fun, but it's a bit janky, save wipes are guaranteed and, more importantly, you can't yet make a gnome illusionist, so really what's the point?
Kotaku
Yesterday, I spent around five hours with an updated version of the game that contained fewer bugs, but I still encountered a crash, two quest dead ends (one of them attached to a main quest), and all sorts of visual weirdness.
RPS
As a thing to fill time and tickle your brain, Baldur’s Gate 3 early access is a meaty thing. Definitely more filling than the Fort Joy area of Original Sin 2’s early access chunk. Technically, I found it stable, with more egregious evidence of its early status limited to wonky animation transitions and words emanating from closed gobs. At one point a man appeared as a bear, but only in cutscenes. Is that a bug or a feature? I’m not hot on my D&D lore. I also triggered a 26-person battle across an entire settlement which caused the AI to go into minor meltdown, taking up to a minute to work out individual NPC moves, resulting in a painful sight of a 10 minute war as 20 tieflings struggled to murder one remaining halfling. But so it goes – and there’s already been an update to fix some issues.

No, my word of warning goes instead to those who simply want to enjoy the story. By dint of being a first act it threatens to be all dilemma and no consequence. There are immediate consequences – big, messy, reach-for-the-quick-load consequences – but know that the meat of your mulling won’t be answered for some time. If it were not for this job, and having the self-control of four year old at a birthday party (or games journalist presented with a plate of miniburgers at a press event), I would would want to see this enticing story play out in full. Don’t feel pressured to gather your party and venture forth, but based on what I’ve seen, I think that party is in for one hell of a ride when they do.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#43

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,319
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 6th, 2020, 20:08
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Same as CP2077 for example, people have been paying full release price since over a year ago, no discounts as far as I'm aware, because it's a big IP that will sell well, and because they need to cover production costs and they have estimated that they won't lose any substantial sales by not giving a preorder discount. Only in that case there wasn't even EA, you'll just play it whenever they're done delaying it.
To be more precise, the only time Cyberpunk 2077 received a discount was 5% off on a GOG sales promotion last year, which ranged from June 10th to July 1st (GOG Summer 2019 Sale ??).

But I get your point here, no other discounts since then (more than a year ago) and yes, they did it so because the game will surely sell very well.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; October 7th, 2020 at 14:09.
henriquejr is online now

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#44

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2020, 21:28
Downloading this RIGHT NOW. I'm excited to play it now, I'm excited to see how it changes, and I'll be excited to play the finished product as different race and class combos. This is the kinda game with a lot of re-playability for me, I'm thinking.

Hell I'll be excited to play it all over again with the inevitable director's cut version 2 years from now. I don't mind throwing $60 at them on day 1 and showing them how much I support a new 5th edition D&D turn-based game being made in 2020. It might be the best thing about 2020 IMHO.

FurtiveNyctophile is offline

FurtiveNyctophile

FurtiveNyctophile's Avatar
Watchdog

#45

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southwest US
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 6th, 2020, 21:33
Why is it Baldur's Gate 3 instead of calling it some new D&D title? So they can throw in one or 2 NPC's? Tempted as I am, I'm waiting for the full version.
Pappy is offline

Pappy

Watcher

#46

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

October 6th, 2020, 23:22
Someone commented that they don't like EA because of reviewers giving a game a bad rap based on its early state. Maybe that was Couch.

The Ars Technica review does support that point. I read the whole review and while I am so not a fan of the whole tadpole in my head plot line that starts the game (and well known point), nor do I like turn based combat, I find myself defending the game a bit here.

You are a level one newbie. You are a prisoner of much more powerful entities. You are a stranger. Why should anyone like you? Why should anyone care about you? Why should you think you are extra special? I thought a common complaint by RP gamers was the whole "I am the chosen one - everyone loves me and the world revolves around me".

So here we have a reviewer complaining because at level 1 he isn't powerful, he is surrounded by things that could kill him in a flick of a finger, and all these entities that don't know him from shit on the ground don't like him. They may be grouped with you because you have a common goal - escape. But why should they like you? And if you are more useful as a distraction why should they care if harm happens to you? They are not your friends. Not yet anyhow. EDIT: And if you save scum to get the "perfect" roll for a dialogue check only to find out that was actually the worst solution … and get mad over your wasted time … well not sure what to say to that. Perhaps just go with the flow of the game and see what happens?

Now if 5 or more levels later, when you have been grouped for a fair amount of time with some of these folks, perhaps helped them out and gotten to know each other, if they continue to hate and disdain you then I could see some valid complaints made by the Arc Technica review in that regard.

But it seems rather cool you start out as a nobody, a stranger that is disliked and completely out of their league. If you end the game that way then totally agree I would not enjoy that. I do enjoy seeing a growth in power, growing relationships with companions, etc.

Now on EA itself - I am not a huge fan of it but I also understand why someone might play an EA game, myself included (and I plan on it for this game). Life seems especially risky to me these days - I have some health issues, there is COVID, there are climate issues, there have been numerous lay-offs and cuts where I work … plenty of things that could impact me and maybe I won't be able to play games a year from now.

The other part is not everyone enjoys all kinds of games. Many here have a long waiting list of games they want to play, so who cares if they have another year to wait. Others may be in a dry spell and be eager to try something new - so are willing to get an EA game if only for the novelty and chance to try something new.

I got it because I worry a bit about my health and job and where I might be a year or two from now. I am somewhat focused on enjoying my hobbies as much as I can right now. Been on a dry spell as well for games as not a lot I like.

I do like pretty games though and I do like the AD&D setting and theme. Those two pluses counter the tadpole and turn-based combat negatives. So figured I would download and try. Like Sakichop if I find it too buggy, or once my curiosity is satiated, I can set it aside till it comes out. It is also nice to know it is there should I get bored and want to see what new updates have been made as the year goes by.

I don't see the evil in EA that much myself. It is almost a win-win in my eyes, minus perhaps the review issue mentioned.

Those who are curious, want to dabble, or even want to help out, get to. Those who want to wait will, ideally, get a much better game when finally released because those who are playing EA, plus the companies own testers, will hopefully mean a much more polished game. So good for both those who purchase early and for those who wait.

As for full price? I tend to agree that makes sense. People will get the full game in the end plus early access. It avoids the problem with people buying it cheap just for the sake of getting it cheap without actually playing and providing any feedback. Yet for those who get it and don't want to get too deep into feedback - well no loss for the company there either as they paid full price.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#47

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 00:00
I'm downloading it, but I don't know how long I'll play in EA. I want to mess around a bit and there was never any chance I wouldn't buy it down the road, so I don't terribly mind buying it now.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#48

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 02:14
So far enjoying it. Have 2.7 hours in. No crashes or issues at this point. Like the combat well enough although there are no difficulty sliders at this point. Playing a Warlock (Elder God as Patron) Tiefling.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#49

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 03:12
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Please create an impressions thread, @rune_74! I'm playing a party-based game right now and don't hate it, so I may grab another.
Ok, I will see…if you played wasteland 2 this is better in almost all respects and plays really smooth.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#50

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 03:58
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Someone commented that they don't like EA because of reviewers giving a game a bad rap based on its early state. Maybe that was Couch.
Guilty as charged but it was actually me and Nereida on another BG III thread.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#51

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,319
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 07:38
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Why is it Baldur's Gate 3 instead of calling it some new D&D title?
Because (parts of) the plot takes place in (the area of) Baldur's Gate.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#52

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 09:22
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Because (parts of) the plot takes place in (the area of) Baldur's Gate.
I can kinda see his point. I think they should have named it Baldur's Gate: <Insert subtitle here> instead of III. But in the end I don't care how it's named
borovnica is offline

borovnica

Watchdog

#53

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 12:05
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Not a hard confirmation, but Swen has said repeatedly that it will be a long road to 1.0. It could be anything between 6 months and 3 years, I think it's optimistic to expect the actual release before 2021 Christmas though.
See you guys in a year!
Lemonhead is offline

Lemonhead

Lemonhead's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#54

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 14:36
I wonder if it will release before TES VI

I think I'm going to try DOS1 again. I was a beta-tester for that game, due to my ridiculous pledge level and I put in over 200 hours before it ever hit release. Almost all of that time was spent in Cysael? 1st city. I think killing Jake, yet again, was my highlight. Did we get to kill Jake in DOS2? I only played the 1st city in that one too.

I hated combat in DOS, so not sure about BG3. I like quick combat unless it's a boss encounter.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut
crpgnut is online now

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#55

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 8,187
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 15:58
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I hated combat in DOS, so not sure about BG3. I like quick combat unless it's a boss encounter.
Well DOS had DOS rules and BG3 has DnD rules. That should do the trick for the most part.

Of course they could screw that one up as well. But I think the rules foundation is a lot stronger. They won't include strange mechanics like the strange magical vs. physical
damage in DOS2.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#56

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,702
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

October 7th, 2020, 18:24
Sigh again the plan is for one year of Early Access it's been confirmed multiple times, but maybe a little longer. Not three years. So I'm sure it will be out before TES VI.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#57

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,319
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Release Time Unlock
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:03.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch