RIP Eddie Van Halen - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » RIP Eddie Van Halen

Default RIP Eddie Van Halen

October 7th, 2020, 00:26
Completely shocked me. Dead at 65 to cancer.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2020, 04:05
Another one where I had no idea the person was sick. He was one of the GOAT in rock & roll.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2020, 10:42
Most guttering RIP since joining the forum.

The absolute embodiment of 80's good-time, thrive-vibe rock n roll. Just SO much of what he did was fun-based, and uplifting.

Rest in peace Ed. Legend.

--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 7th, 2020, 10:50
Was he the one with that song called "Jump" ?
I liked that one.
Any time I hear it on the radio, I turn the radio louder.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

October 7th, 2020, 12:38
He played Jump as well, but this is Eddie:

loading…

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

October 7th, 2020, 13:57
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Was he the one with that song called "Jump" ?
I liked that one.
Any time I hear it on the radio, I turn the radio louder.
Yep.

But Jump is to Van Halen what Skyrim is to TES.

If you want the real quality delve deeper into the likes of Aint Talking About Love, or Hot For Teacher etc.
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

October 7th, 2020, 15:59
Okay. I must admit that he represented a direction I wasn't familiar with.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

October 7th, 2020, 19:21
What a blow. I recall Van Halen being the second show I ever saw live (first being Aerosmith/Nazareth), and what ENERGY they had!! I saw them in total four times, and even with Hagar they put on a solid show. From all accounts, Ed could be a huge ahole, but as an artist he was top-notch, and my second favourite guitarist right after Randy Rhodes. I'm sure the jam-out in heaven just scaled up five octaves!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
+1:

October 14th, 2020, 11:17
I knew he had been dealing with throat cancer in years past but thought he was still in remission. Definitely sad …

Amazingly talented guy, loved his approach to the guitar and love of playing - I do agree with critics who say that by ~’81 he peaked and never really advanced from there, but he never lost the joy of making music he and millions of fans enjoyed so who really cares.

I know everyone jumps right to stuff like Eruption and his pyrotechnics and technique-laden riffing, but for me you just need to listen to his work on “Beautiful Girls” (actually the whole band is absolutely peak form here, shuffle beat and great bass lines!) … I have heard so many people simplify and incorrectly play Ed’s stuff that misses the way he voices and expands small triads and chords and tosses in passing lines that really outline the harmony in a way that is far beyond what a typical (Clapton/Page) blues-rock guitarist would do. Shows how he listened to more advanced guys like Allan Holdsworth as he was building his chops. Amazing guitarist who left an indelible mark on rock music.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

October 14th, 2020, 19:50
Cathedral has to be my favourite riff by Ed. Yeah, I was a huge Eruption fan back in the seventies, but the intricate style and notes of Cathedral are something just out of this world. I can only imagine the heavenly jams taking place with the likes of Van Halen, Bowie, Rhodes and many others rocking the clouds!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

October 14th, 2020, 20:23
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
- I do agree with critics who say that by ~’81 he peaked and never really advanced from there
In what respect? Cathedral was '82, and Hot for Teacher '84
--

Falksi

Sentinel

October 14th, 2020, 22:22
Originally Posted by Falksi View Post
In what respect? Cathedral was '82, and Hot for Teacher '84
I was approximating ‘early 80s’ … and I am not saying that he didn’t continue to be an amazing guitarist until the very end (video of recent tours shows that), it is that aside from his early innovations and streamlining of his harmonic approach .. nothing else really happened to him as a guitarist. He had fun, loved playing, and just kept on doing that.

By 1984 (year and album) he was more about adding keyboards and shaping the overall sound - Jump is the most famous example, but I’ll Wait is pretty generic AOR for the era. Hot for Teacher and Panama are great rockers that reflect their classic era and feature more excellent playing from the band and especially Eddie.

My intent is not to denigrate his playing or contribution, but rather that I wished it had continued … either way, even as someone who is primarily a jazz guy, I have loved EVH’s stuff for more than 4 decades, and rather than mourn his loss I will celebrate the joy and love of music he brought to the world.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 24th, 2020, 16:26
Sad news.

I was never that much into Van Halen (for reasons i won't go into here). But I've always aknowledged his abilities as a guitarist, And he did inspire me to decorate my guitar.

BTW: This is my favourite Van Halen track (from the film "Twister")
loading…

a pibbur
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » RIP Eddie Van Halen