Wasteland 3 - Patch 1.1.2 Reduces Load Times

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Patch 1.1.2 for Wasteland 3 has been released which reduces load times by up to 60%.

Patch 1.1.2 "Save Scummers Delight" Now Live

Our continued thanks to those playing and enjoying Wasteland 3, and for those of you who have continued to report issues, and bring our attention to solutions and reproduction steps. It's been heartening to see so many of you looking to help us continue to improve the experience, and we're dedicated to doing just that for the foreseeable future.

This update has some big changes, including the oft-requested improvements to load times, as well as fixes for some progression blockers, and more. Reducing the load times was a big undertaking to essentially rewrite how our level load procedure works, but we think you'll appreciate the result--especially if love to save and reload to get that perfect outcome (we won't tell).

Patch 1.1.2 is now live on Steam and GOG with Microsoft Store, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 versions going live early next week following their certification release process. Please note that for cross-platform co-op on PC, both the Host and Client will need to have matching versions.

Highlights

• Do you hate long load times? We hate long load times. Our engineers changed how the game loads levels, reducing load times by up to 60% on PC and 25% on console.
    • As one example, on our PC test hardware a 38 second load time was reduced to 13 seconds.
  • Fixed an issue where combat could become unresponsive with use of the Chain Ambush Perk for sniper rifles.
  • Resolved several progression blocking issues in Yuma County Speedway.
  • Enemies are now much less invisible after use of Precision Strike.
Performance & Stability

• Significantly changed how levels load, resulting in up to 60% faster load speeds across the game on PC, and on average 25% faster for consoles.
    • Note: your hardware, save data, and which level you're loading into can all impact load times. Your mileage may of course vary.
    • As part of this change, auto-saves will no longer occur as a part of the level load, and instead happen concurrently. This can lead to situations where you've loaded into the next scene but an auto-save is still in-progress. Don't close the game while the Ranger star is spinning.
  • Major Prasad will no longer crash your game if you exit while she's still talking.
  • Additional stability and performance improvements for consoles that were too technical for the person writing these patch notes to understand and explain easily. It's good stuff though. All good stuff.
    • We'll be continuing to target and resolve specific stability issues as necessary.
Co-op

• Players can no longer attack companions that are in the process of being recruited by the other player, in case your partner likes to troll.
  • Fixed an issue where the Guest client could become unresponsive when talking with Hope Emerson and choosing to side with Del Hackett and her people.
  • Improved stability while in the Hire Companion screen.
  • Players can now use the keyboard in the lobby screen to choose game type, options, invite player, and ready up.
  • Enabled UI Narration in the Direct Connection interface and for multiplayer game messages sent through chat.
  • Fixed an issue with voice chat text-to-speech and speech-to-text.
  • [Microsoft Store] Resolved an issue where guests couldn't rejoin a lobby they'd just left.
[...]

More information.

I finished the game a few days ago and uninstalled it. I enjoyed it, but the loading times were my biggest complaint. Oh well... I knew from Wasteland 2 experience that I should have waited for a definitive version or something before touching the game, but I was too weak to resist.

Needed patch. The load times were long for what aren't enormous areas with tons of objects, etc.

It's nearing the day when I can start playing it :)

My biggest complaint was the long load times for small areas. Now time to see if the patch really does make the loading time faster as they claim. So off I go see ya.:p

Load time haven't changed for me, they're still ridiculous. ...and now I'm having graphics oddities while at Ranger base.

The game is still pretty good tho. But leveling is a bit too fast.

Other quibbles aside, and assuming this patch didn't introduce new issues, the loading times were probably my only *real* complaint so I would say now is the time to jump in if you've been waiting for the feathers to be smoothed over.

ETA: It's a great game.

Going to wait a little longer before I purchase because I know there will be at least several more patches before they're done. I still want to play Wasteland Remastered and WL2 first anyways.

Load time haven't changed for me, they're still ridiculous. …and now I'm having graphics oddities while at Ranger base.

LOL

I deleted the game just the day before the patch so i cant test it anymore. Anyway for me, only the first loading was bad, towards the end of the game it even went to 90-100 seconds sometimes.

Going to wait a little longer before I purchase because I know there will be at least several more patches before they're done. I still want to play Wasteland Remastered and WL2 first anyways.

I played Wasteland in the 80's but I did not like Wasteland Remastered at all. Could only stomach it for two hours and that was hard.

I loved Bard's Tale Remastered and WL2.

Yeah, I'll be waiting for the Actually Finished Edition. If they've just shaved 60% off load times, I might suggest that not too much optimisation of loading routines was done in the first place.

I played Wasteland in the 80's but I did not like Wasteland Remastered at all. Could only stomach it for two hours and that was hard.

See, that's how I feel about the original, but I didn't play it back in the day, so there's no nostalgia for me.

I heard the remaster has been tweaked since the release version. What did you find so bad about it?

See, that's how I feel about the original, but I didn't play it back in the day, so there's no nostalgia for me.

I heard the remaster has been tweaked since the release version. What did you find so bad about it?

So much button pushing and did not care for the updated graphics. I just didn't like the way skills were used in the game and the update didn't make anything easier.

Last edited:
So much button pushing and did not care for the updated graphics. I just didn't like the way skills were used in the game and the update didn't make anything easier.

Afaik, the skills are identical to the original. Also, they added macros in the last patch, so that cuts the button pushing way down.

Love this game. I'm playing off an SSD and can't say I noticed much of a difference but then again, I didn't find the load times bad pre-patch.

Even with an SSD the load times are on par with Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Let it be said again I have the same problem with every RPG made with Unity. Memory leaks also.

Back
Top Bottom