Caves of Qud - Review @ SsethTzeentach - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Caves of Qud - Review @ SsethTzeentach

Default Caves of Qud - Review @ SsethTzeentach

October 23rd, 2020, 21:54
SsethTzeentach reviewed Caves of Qud:

Caves of Qud Review

loading…

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2020, 22:35
I think you have to be a little crazy just to review it. Amusing.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

October 23rd, 2020, 22:56
Ahaha! How did this video end up here?
Sseth,the best reviewer.
--
"Man is born free, yet everywhere he is in chains." - J. J. Rousseau

Black Rune

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

October 24th, 2020, 19:49
Is this guy using a text-to-audio app? Sounds like a B-movie robot; annoying.

Zephyr

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 24th, 2020, 23:59
The game actually seems pretty interesting, and I love post-apoc, but I just can't get into roguelikes.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

October 25th, 2020, 00:14
Really looking forward to this one once it leaves early access. Have a thing against playing unfinished games. Plus I believe better UI and tutorials are on the pipeline and with a game like this every bit of accessibility helps.

Gwydden

Watcher

October 25th, 2020, 01:33
I really wish it had decent Sprite based graphics. I like roguelikes, but I'm an apostate in that I won't play ASCII.

Jaguar

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

October 26th, 2020, 03:41
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I really wish it had decent Sprite based graphics. I like roguelikes, but I'm an apostate in that I won't play ASCII.
They're actually not ASCII. It's just such bad graphics it looks like ASCII.

This is one of the games I've been meaning to get back to. I was enjoying it a fair amount then something else came out and I just forgot about it. I didn't actually get bored of it, just moved on then couldn't be bothered getting back to it.

It's worth a look if you want an open world roguelike with a sci-fi setting.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

October 26th, 2020, 06:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The game actually seems pretty interesting, and I love post-apoc, but I just can't get into roguelikes.
You can disable permadeath (it's one of the last options in a very long list) and a lot of it is not randomly generated. I recommend it. It's a very interesting and evocative setting.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

October 26th, 2020, 14:23
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
They're actually not ASCII. It's just such bad graphics it looks like ASCII.

This is one of the games I've been meaning to get back to. I was enjoying it a fair amount then something else came out and I just forgot about it. I didn't actually get bored of it, just moved on then couldn't be bothered getting back to it.

It's worth a look if you want an open world roguelike with a sci-fi setting.
Right - I have looked at it a number of times, but even the graphics version is pretty bad. I guess some roguelikes, like Rogue, want the whole level or a ton of the level on the screen at one time, which precludes nice sprites. I don't need anything fancy, but I need my imagination to be sparked at least a little bit. Maybe one day I will try it, but so many games to play…

Jaguar

Watchdog

October 26th, 2020, 16:26
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
You can disable permadeath (it's one of the last options in a very long list) and a lot of it is not randomly generated. I recommend it. It's a very interesting and evocative setting.
I might give it a try sometime. One thing that concerns me though is that it's been in EA for over 5 years now. I'd like to see some kind of confirmation that he's definitely going to finish it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

October 26th, 2020, 19:15
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I might give it a try sometime. One thing that concerns me though is that it's been in EA for over 5 years now. I'd like to see some kind of confirmation that he's definitely going to finish it.
It's supposed to release next year. If you go to the game's website, there's a roadmap with the remaining features, if you want to get an idea of how much they've got left.

Gwydden

Watcher

+1:

October 27th, 2020, 03:53
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Right - I have looked at it a number of times, but even the graphics version is pretty bad. I guess some roguelikes, like Rogue, want the whole level or a ton of the level on the screen at one time, which precludes nice sprites. I don't need anything fancy, but I need my imagination to be sparked at least a little bit. Maybe one day I will try it, but so many games to play‚€¶
Yeah, I can't be bothered with ASCII only, these days. I think the last one I played was TomeNET.

I mostly just stick to the games with nice tile graphics like DCSS, ToME, etc.

I recently saw there is a sequel to ADOM coming out, Ultimate ADOM, so I decided it was time to have another try at beating ADOM. Multiple deaths later it still feels like an distant goal. I am making progress but it's quote horrible how you learn things with a death. For eg. I had a great monk going who didn't even need weapons then I saw a cool looking glaive and thought I'd equip it to identify it. But it was auto cursing and every attack you made with it would make you more evil, which I didn't notice, then because I was a champion of neutral god who'd changed alignments he sent an army of spectres after me who could walk through walls and permanently drain strength so I couldn't even move because I was too heavy, etc, etc. It's pretty brutal, that game.

But apparently Ultimate ADOM is aiming for a more casual experience. It'll be going with a DCSS style branching dungeon without a world map, doing away with tedious identification requirements on items, even adding some features like Grafting, which you may have seen in the insanely difficult roguelike IVAN where you can cut off monster limbs and attach them to yourself. An early preview mentioned something about grafting a dragon head to your arm and breathing fire. Also, Mindswap spell where you can permanently swap entire bodies with a monster. It does look like there are very few starting races/classes compared to original ADOM but I think mindswap will make up for that.

But, yeah. I wonder if anyone has been working on replacement graphics for Caves of Qud. There's a few pixels there to work with. 16x16 should be enough for some alright detail, though I'm not sure what they are at the moment.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
+1:

October 28th, 2020, 00:57
That stinks about the monk. Yes, I have hundreds hours into ADOM and am nowhere close to finishing it. I've never looked anything up for it, but I have pages and pages of notes of what I have learned from playing. The ultimate one is on my wishlist.

Jaguar

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Caves of Qud - Review @ SsethTzeentach