Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Review @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site reviewed Werewolf: The Apocalypse:

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest Review

Starting in a dreamlike state, you move through a forest that calls to you while also pushing you away. It's dark and unknown, but at the same time feels eerily familiar. You're immediately thrust into the mystery that'll follow you throughout Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest, and it's that introduction that set it apart from the previously released visual novel-style games in the World of Darkness Series.

Adapting TTRPG's into digitized computer games is becoming increasingly popular and for a good reason. Regardless of quarantines and social distancing, putting together a group that's able to run a full TTRPG campaign is difficult, it takes time and not everyone is interested in the roleplay aspects of the games. That being said, table-tops are known for their wordiness and complexity. When set across multiple play sessions, this isn't a problem, but put into a bite-size game you can run into some issues. Heart of the Forest manages to balance its tabletop origins and visual novel style relatively well.

[...]

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest doesn't necessarily reinvent the wheel and I wouldn't say it's genre-defining, but it still manages to be unique in some aspects. End game pacing issues aside, the game tells a great story and offers enough choices that I never felt slighted. Even the small option of choosing which werewolf form to shift into was nice. Heart of the Forest is a simple and easy to follow addition to the World of Darkness games but still manages to avoid becoming boring or repetitive. It's a fun, uncomplicated game and honestly, that's all I want sometimes.

Score: 8/10
More information.

Well got my hopes up for nothing again as this is not the Action RPG Werewolf the Apocalypse - Earthblood. It's the visual novel with RPG elements once again.:(

On the other hand, if you like visual novels (I do) and you appreciate the World of Darkness RPG elements (I really do!) - you'll love this game. It's very well done.

Look on the side of the news-bit on the front page.
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
SP/MP: Unknown
Setting: Fantasy
Genre: Action-RPG
Platform: PC
Release: In development
It's posted under the ARPG game. Yet the game linked is not the same. So you see my reply was due to this not being the first time. I have nothing against the visual novels.

Nice use of clever word play though bravo.:clap:

With you Couch - these titles get me excited that maybe there is some news on the game. Although not sure if I will like it even with werewolves since there seems to be a strong pre-determined main character and story. I wish they had made it more open so you could be your own character. Why force a main character with a daughter and all that baggage on the player? Tired of so many games leaving so little room to actually make your own character in a game.

Ah well at least some excellent games out there that do give you that freedom. I will just keep playing them for now. And one appeal to BG3 is that you can make your own character. One reason I fell for it so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom