Wizardry - Drecom acquires Copyright and Trademark Rights - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wizardry - Drecom acquires Copyright and Trademark Rights

Default Wizardry - Drecom acquires Copyright and Trademark Rights

October 29th, 2020, 18:01
Yemeth spotted news about the Wizardry series at Gematsu:

Drecom acquires Wizardry copyright and trademark rights, new title to be developed

A new Wizardry cometh.

Japanese company Drecom has acquired the copyrights, as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to the "Wizardry" intellectual property and will develop a new title in the series, the company announced.

The acquisitions include the copyrights to "Wizardry 6," "Wizardry 7," "Wizardry 8," and "Wizardry Gold," as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to "Wizardry."

The company said it will keep up its commitment to the acquisition of popular intellectual properties, as well as the development and cultivation of its internal properties.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
+1:

October 29th, 2020, 18:06
Drecom is a mobile game developer based in Tokyo. Its past works include Disgaea RPG (co-developed with ForwardWorks), the mobile version of Everybody’s Golf (co-developed with ForwardWorks), Derby Stallion Masters, Chocotto Farm, Digimon ReArise (developed for Bandai Namco), Kirara Fantasia (developed for Aniplex), and more.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

October 29th, 2020, 19:21
So Disgaea is okay, though still couldn't play Disgaea 5 further than the Intro Battle, because of being way too unreal, but maybe we can hope? For a worthy Wizardry 9, along the lines of VII and VIII.
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

October 29th, 2020, 19:59
New use found for creeping coins.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

October 29th, 2020, 20:34
So from a bad console game developer to a mobile developer. Not an improvement.
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
+1:

October 29th, 2020, 21:12
Weren't the rights already held by another Japanese company anyways?

Originally Posted by mercy View Post
but maybe we can hope? For a worthy Wizardry 9, along the lines of VII and VIII.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
+1:

October 29th, 2020, 21:15
a modern day, AAA title of Wizardry would make MONEY… I would be onboard for that…

korynael

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 29th, 2020, 21:17
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Weren't the rights already held by another Japanese company anyways?
It was but the Ip was was sold a few times in it's long history. It was originally owned by Sir-Tech, sold to Atlus, then sold to Acquire, and now Drecom has bought the rights.
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

October 29th, 2020, 21:29
I hope they make a true sequel to Wizardry 8. A game with similar mechanics but modern graphics would be nice. But I'm not holding my breath. Pretty sure what we will see is another bland dungeon crawler.
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 29th, 2020, 21:37
A site called hardcoregaming101 had a 17 part feature on the Wizardry franchise.

Link - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/wizardy/

I shared the link for anyone interested in reading it.
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

October 29th, 2020, 22:09
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
A site called hardcoregaming101 had a 17 part feature on the Wizardry franchise.

Link - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/wizardy/

I shared the link for anyone interested in reading it.
Thank you, CouchPotato!! As soon as I have some free time I'll read this, bit a bit

I just don't know if such link was once a newsbit here (I didn't search for it). If it never was, you could submit it to one of the news editors in order to get it published, what do you think?
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)

October 29th, 2020, 23:09
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
I hope they make a true sequel to Wizardry 8. A game with similar mechanics but modern graphics would be nice. But I'm not holding my breath. Pretty sure what we will see is another bland dungeon crawler.
Wizardry 8 was a fantastic game, and next year is its 20th anniversary.
Just think of the money that could be made from Wizardry 8 Remastered with updated graphics at 4k/HDR, hi-res textures, and ray-tracing for next-gen consoles/PC. I'd be first in line to preorder!

Vindicator

Primordial Dragon

October 29th, 2020, 23:28
I know right!
Lets see what this developer can do I guess.
How awesome would a good Wizardry 9 be!!

Stahl33

Watchdog

October 30th, 2020, 00:20
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Wizardry 8 was a fantastic game, and next year is its 20th anniversary.
Just think of the money that could be made from Wizardry 8 Remastered with updated graphics at 4k/HDR, hi-res textures, and ray-tracing for next-gen consoles/PC. I'd be first in line to preorder!
And less damn excessive respawning, oh yeah Anyway, I would buy it right away!!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
+1:

October 30th, 2020, 00:22
Am I the only one disappointed? They dont look capable of producing a decent CRPG.

Telstar

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

October 30th, 2020, 00:37
Sir Tech sold the rights to Sir Tech Canada for $50,000 as a way to protect the IP from it's own implosion. Problem was, Sir Tech didn't own the rights - it was licensed from Robert Woodhead and Andrew Greenberg.
Of their many lawsuits against their former publisher it was for Wizardry 8 in the state of New York that they got the $30k remaining in escrow for it (though they argued for $150k) and that seems to be for the price of the IP. Personally, I don't why they didn't try and get the judge to rule they remained the owners.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 30th, 2020, 00:39
I just have this vision in my head of Manga characters and walking plants jumping backwards and forwards at each other in typical JRPG combat style while calling it a Wizardry game!! Not sure if I could really handle that!!!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

October 30th, 2020, 00:41
I love Wizardry, I even love Disgaea, but my expectations for this could hardly be lower. I also like being surprised and proven wrong, so feel free to do that. Please.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

October 30th, 2020, 00:47
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Am I the only one disappointed? They dont look capable of producing a decent CRPG.
The main problem with Japanese Wizardry games is that the mechanics are basically same with Wizardry 1-5. So if you take any Japanese Wizardry game and ignore its advanced graphics (according to older games of course), you have more or less an early Wizardry game under the hood. For some reason Japanese developers are oblivious to the fact that the series evolved considerably with 6-7-8.
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 30th, 2020, 15:41
I think their model might be something like Etrian Odyssey, which was basically a tablet game. I'd be surprised if we saw something more. It is even questionable if it won't be a mobile/tablet only game.
Japanese Wizardry games do focus on Wizardry 1-5 and I think the reasons are pretty practical. If you have Wizardry 6-8 as a model you need a writer, voice actors, and a good English translator. If you don't, you can skip these things and get along with simply a decent translator. Wizardry 8 is almost open world and has 3d graphics. Again, not using this for a model helps keep the game under a modest budget.
Don't get me wrong Wizardry 8 is one of my favourite rpgs of all time, but it would actually require a decent sized team with good skills to make a successor to it. This company seems more on the lookout for a smaller audience using a smaller budget.
There seems to be a decent sized Japanese audience for such games. We westerners are just a bonus.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wizardry - Drecom acquires Copyright and Trademark Rights