Google Stadia - future of gaming?

Pity they can't improve the speed of light ….

They can't improve it, but they can circumvent it. Google Stadia will use quantum entanglement.

Yeah, right. :biggrin:

You're forgetting that everything is still "available" as standalone apk on android. ;)
This new streaming platform however cannot be bypassed as you're not installing a game on your smartwatch, just a client.

I wonder if we can get raytraced games this way, google certainly has the capacity for that, or at least nodes with an Nvidia rtx card.

I wonder if we can get raytraced games this way, google certainly has the capacity for that, or at least nodes with an Nvidia rtx card.
Well you wont need an RTX card for ray tracing soon.

As NVIDIA is allowing it to be used on other cards via a DX12 update.
If you've got GeForce GTX graphics in your desktop or laptop, Nvidia's got an update you're going to like.

The graphics chipmaker announced Monday at GDC 2019 it will enable DirectX ray tracing (DXR) on some of its older graphics cards with its Pascal architecture via a driver expected in April. DXR is one of the major features of its newest RTX GPUs using its Turing architecture announced last year. Ray tracing reproduces how light behaves in the real world improving shadows and reflections to give games a more photorealistic look and immersive feel.

The GTX cards supported include:

Titan XP
Titan X
GTX 1080 TI
GTX 1080
GTX 1070 TI
GTX 1070
GTX 1060 6GB

The Volta-based Titan V and Turing-based GTX 1660 and 1660 TI are also supported. But, before you get too excited, know that the cards will only support basic ray-tracing effects and low ray counts. The level of support will be dependent on the game, the graphics card model and game resolution, said Justin Walker, product manager for GeForce desktop GPUs.
Link - https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-brings-a-little-rtx-directx-ray-tracing-to-gtx-graphics/

Yep, and the unreal engine has support now. Checkout the troll tech demo

Of course only a demo, so lots of advantages over real game rendering + ideal scene to highlight the raytracing effects.

Didn't know the DirectX raytracing API supports older cards, albeit with serious limitations it seems. I'm curious if and when amd brings out a card supporting the raytracing API in hardware.

I wouldn't expect much out of that not-hardware-accelerated ray tracing. I would expect full ray tracing from a cloud gaming site, though. That's another one of the goodies from the technology: top of the line hardware can be available to everyone sooner. Somebody still has to pay for the hardware somewhere, of course, but with these services we can essentially share the hardware.

IGN preview; he comments on input lag not being a issue (for the preview) but doesn't indicate if his latency is typical. He does note that it struggles to maintain 1080p on a chromebook.
-
One thing that occur to me is that unless you use a dedicated client (do they require one?); there is a chance that the dedicated controller will out perform due to compression and other tcp/uudp technique that can be applied to improve performance (you can't really improve latency but you make a huge amount of improvements with b/s and dealing with occasional packet loss.

Prices are known:
https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition

I just went very quickly over a Dutch summary but it seems that:
- the base version is free
- the pro version is 10 euro / month (you get 4k 60fps)

In both cases you still need to 'buy' the game. Bummer.

130 Euro for 3 months of Pro, and you get a controller and Chromecast ultra with it

Meh, Pro subscription only including one game kinda kills it for me. Not really interested in buying games in a streaming-only platform. I'm hoping Microsoft will do way better than this, easily.

Might sub for a month or so to try the service and Destiny's new expansion, whenever it gets to my country...

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

The 10 dollars/euro per month lets you have 4K but it also provides games for free, starting with Destiny 2. Will that end up meaning lots of games will be free or will it be just a few ancient games getting released? If you're only paying for 4K gaming then that seems like a pretty weak deal to me.

It's also really strange to me that they would have Destiny 2 as the free game. Metro Exodus, Doom, and Mortal Kombat seem like games you wouldn't want to play over a service, either. Baldur's Gate 3 should be fine. Tomb Raider… probably OK.

Like I said before, I think this is more of a console killer. You can get high end console gaming for $10/month and not-at-all-high-end for nothing at all beyond the price of the games themselves. Except you won't be able to buy used. Except you may not need to if the prices follow Steam's pattern.

P.S. The "pro" version also has discounts on games. How much of a discount? Which games? <shrug> There's still a lot we don't know yet.

They are charging a whopping $70 just for their controller, and then even if you pay the $10 a month subscription, many new games will have to be purchased separately anyway. Lame!

Sounds like a rip-off to me.

Unless someone is really really desperate to play in 4K, and doesn't have an up to date gaming computer (for some reason) and also has to have a really fast internet connection available.

This stadia thing is a definite hard pass for me.

My PC is pretty old and I'm struggling to afford an upgrade at the minute due to various life stuff. I've missed out on a couple of recent AAA games because of this - Kingdom Come amd Prey in particular spring to mind.

If this service meant I could play DOOM eternal and the new Baldurs Gate (in the likely event my PC can't do it) then I'd definitely give it a go.

High end pc costs 1000 euro? Means you can play 100 months on stadia Pro (8 years).

They are charging a whopping $70 just for their controller, and then even if you pay the $10 a month subscription, many new games will have to be purchased separately anyway. Lame!

Some people spent thousands on plastic mushrooms so it's not ripoff. It's just a way of taxing stupidity. ;)

Founders' edition in the USA is $130. That includes 3 months for you and a friend ($60 value), the controller, the Chromecast thing (looks like it takes internet streams, turns them into video, and pumps them out the HDMI) for putting 4K on your TV, and two copies of Destiny 2 (which is going free to play so I'm not sure what that's worth). $70 for a wireless controller and the caster thing ($35 if sold separately) seems reasonable.

The free option is, well, free. You're stuck with stereo sound and 1080p but that's not bad at all. People that don't have $10/mo probably don't have a 4K TV or ultra fast internet anyway. People who don't care enough to pay that much likely don't care that the resolution is lower, either.

Unless someone is really really desperate to play in 4K, and doesn't have an up to date gaming computer (for some reason) and also has to have a really fast internet connection available.

This stadia thing is a definite hard pass for me.

Hard pass for me as well but I don't think it's a rip off.

For me though, half the fun of PC gaming is building my own PC.

What happened to Facebook being the future of gaming and Zynga the new EA who would eat them all? Or was it before the console would be the future of gaming and the PC is dead? So many futures..

I thought than the present of the gaming was one PC client for each big publisher and many others trying to federate? (Steam, GOG, Epic, etc.. )

All those fiercely independent publishers who want their own launchers and more importantly the shop associated with it would accept the yoke of Google?

Last edited:
All those fiercely independent publishers who want their own launchers and more importantly the shop associated with it would accept the yoke of Google?
They would be crazy to have it on just one but there's a few players looking to get into this field. Microsoft is big into cloud computing so I would expect a strong entry from them. Maybe even one that supports AR right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom